IGNORED

Game Debate #135: Asteroids

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I don't really know how to play this one.  I feel like it's a very noteworthy early shooter and from a historical point of view, everyone should play it.  It's really not hard to play a few games because if it's your first play, you'll probably be able to do that in 10 minutes.

However, it's just ok.  It hits all of the core bullet points for simple, but good, gameplay however the nature of this game doesn't gel with me.

I gave it a 6.  For a game I've not invested that much time with, I've had a lot of mixed feelings about it.  I feel like this could be on a top-10 list of most important arcade games.  Maybe not the most fun, but possibly one of the most important to gaming history.

I like how it captures the technical aspects of piloting a ship. Like the arcade controls of Defender. It's something that doesn't seem to appear in "fun" games now, only more "serious" sim games which are too complicated for me. And I really like the old / early arcade formula exemplified here, classically simple to learn and challenging to master. You can play for a few minutes, but the long game is there for those who want to pursue it. 

I gave it a 6, since I do play it (2600 version) occasionally.  I did enjoy the arcade version more, and remember being fascinated by the vector graphics. It wasn't first, but I thought it was the first to use them well. The raster versions on home consoles never felt right to me.

The home version is improved significantly, in my opinion, thru use of the Starplex pushbutton controller which replicates the arcade control pretty well. 

Fun trivia question: was the Starplex controller the first 3rd-party controller made for a specific home console game?

Classic game and the clever physics of moving your ship make it unique and challenging for its time. Still, it's never quite been a list-topper for me and I won't end up playing it for more than a few minutes at a time. Like James, if I wanna play this style of game, Tempest is where my heart is.

6/10

Edited by Webhead123

It's a 9 for me.  The basics of the game are challenging enough to keep someone entertained forever.  Like any single-screen game, there is no real progress, so you have to challenge yourself with high score which is fine with me when I'm in the mood.  There were many thrusty-type games at the time, so I think that what made this one different is that breaking down the rocks until there are none left satisfies those OCD tendencies that many puzzle games rely on, and the vector graphics look really cool.  It probably suffers a bit from the fact that the "thrusty" ship movement isn't very influential anymore, and I would tend to rank Asteroids Deluxe (I have a cocktail machine in my house) higher because of the fact that they eliminated satellite farming as a way to play the game forever, but the basic Asteroids gameplay is something that I will find fun until the day I'm dead.

Commenting on other comments

• If you've only played the 2600 version then be sure to try the difficulty options.  Increasing speed and lowering the frequency of extra lives adds enjoyment for me.  I also prefer to play with shields like Asteroids Deluxe, but ymmv
  • I see almost no comparisons between Asteroids and Tempest except you shoot things.  They come from almost totally different development paths.
  • Agree 1

Shooting big things that break into small things while having to use physics based thrust and turning is elegantly simple and a perfect Arcade concept. I don't love using just buttons for controls, and I suck at it, so that docks it a couple points. From a pure enjoyment standpoint, I prefer Asteroids Deluxe. 

• Like 1

10 out of 10. I have spent many hours on this one. Mostly through emulation either on Atari compilation discs or Xbox 360 Game Room. It is actually quite amazing I am as bad as I am at this game considering the sheer amount of games I have played.

I have also spent tons of time on the 2600, 8-bit computer, 7800, and Lynx ports. The two player cooperative and competitive variations on the 7800 are excellent.

Edited by JeremiahJT
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, wongojack said:

It's a 9 for me.  The basics of the game are challenging enough to keep someone entertained forever.  Like any single-screen game, there is no real progress, so you have to challenge yourself with high score which is fine with me when I'm in the mood.  There were many thrusty-type games at the time, so I think that what made this one different is that breaking down the rocks until there are none left satisfies those OCD tendencies that many puzzle games rely on, and the vector graphics look really cool.  It probably suffers a bit from the fact that the "thrusty" ship movement isn't very influential anymore, and I would tend to rank Asteroids Deluxe (I have a cocktail machine in my house) higher because of the fact that they eliminated satellite farming as a way to play the game forever, but the basic Asteroids gameplay is something that I will find fun until the day I'm dead.

Commenting on other comments

• If you've only played the 2600 version then be sure to try the difficulty options.  Increasing speed and lowering the frequency of extra lives adds enjoyment for me.  I also prefer to play with shields like Asteroids Deluxe, but ymmv
  • I see almost no comparisons between Asteroids and Tempest except you shoot things.  They come from almost totally different development paths.

Just to reiterate that the first game on 2600 Asteroids is ridiculously easy.  Doubly so if you have the difficulty switch in the B position. Try moving the difficulty switch to the A position and try games 6 and 8 (or 14 and 16, 22 and 24, and 30 and 32).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, JeremiahJT said:

10 out of 10. I have spent many hours on this one. Mostly through emulation either on Atari compilation discs or Xbox 360 Game Room. It is actually quite amazing I am as bad as I am at this game considering the sheer amount of games I have played.

I have also spent tons of time on the 2600, 8-bit computer, 7800, and Lynx ports. The two player cooperative and competitive variations on the 7800 are excellent.

I recently picked up an Atari VCS which comes with Antstream Arcade preloaded.  The arcade version of Cadash is the first thing I sunk my teeth into, but after that, I played a bunch of arcade Asteroids.  Anstream Arcade has challenges for some games, of which Asteroids is one. I had a lot fun trying to get a gold medal on the first few challenges.  I have not gold medaled all of the challenges, but I will give it my best.  I guess arcade Asteroids will always be a go to for me anytime I can find it.

One of the challenges is how many times you can hyperspace without dying, the record for that one is in the 40s I think.  I do not know how that is even possible.

• Like 1

These days i don't even remember all the versions i've played anymore or if/how they differed. Used to have it on my Sony Ericsson phone that had a round button so you could rotate the ship that way and remember having a blast.

It's in the dynamic between dodging the big rocks while compartmentalizing others into smaller pieces - altough not too many simultaneously. Preferrably eliminating just one at a time if possible.