IGNORED

Multiplatform Weekly Contest Round 5: Military Madness (TurboGrafx-16)

Red

Hello and welcome to the fifth round of the Multiplatform Weekly Contest!  It's time for something different for a weekly contest, a strategy game!  This week's game will be Military Madness for TurboGrafx-16.

Rules:

- Start a new game and play the first 3 maps, REVOLT, ICARUS, and CYRANO.  If you complete all three, use the 1P CONTINUE option to skip to the map LIPTUS
- Take a picture of the Combat Result Graph at the end of each map
- You must play the maps in order, but you may go back to previously completed maps to try for better results
- Most completed maps wins
- If more than one player completes the same number of maps, the least total number of turns wins
- If more than one player completes the same number of maps in the same number of turns, least number of AX KILLS wins
- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 8, 2023 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

SCOREBOARD:

1. 2 maps, 14 turns, 51 AX kills (Splain)

Edited by Red
  • Like 1

• The topic was pinned
Editorials Team · Posted

I'm putting these here just in case. I haven't had a successful CYRANO attempt yet, I keep getting wierdly unlucky outcomes. There are definitely some game mechanics that I'm not familiar with yet, I should study the in-game manual a little more lol. I might check out LIPTUS just to see how badly I do.

I'm not using my Turbo Express, it needs new caps. (which I've purchased, they're under the batteries in the pic) I hope to have it up and running soon.

TQDs7L2.jpg

3qRLvUz.jpg

• The topic was unpinned

Yeah, easy win for @Splain.  Only one participant.  I guess that's what happens when the game is an unusual genre (for a contest), on an unpopular console, has a learning curve, and takes a bit of time to complete a run.  Oh well.  I wanted to have an unusual mix of games to make things interesting.  I'm reconsidering the week 8 game now though.  It's an obscure import exclusive with a learning curve, but I think it's one of the best games on the system.

Question for anyone currently participating or who wants to participate, would you prefer the last few games to be more mainstream, or keep up with the oddball choices?

Edited by Red

On 1/13/2023 at 6:50 PM, Red said:

Question for anyone currently participating or who wants to participate, would you prefer the last few games to be more mainstream, or keep up with the oddball choices?

I think the biggest issue is making the runs shorter.  As soon as I saw that this week was going to take me a while to get profiecient, never mind a while to complete the multiple objectives once I was proficient, I put it off, knowing I'd have to block off time to play it, which never happened.  But if I see a simple rule set and it's something I can do in under half an hour (or a distance challenge, so that even a five minute shitty run will count) then I'm more interested in playing the game and it seems like less of a chore.  The rules for this week made it really look like a chore, so my constructive criticism would be not to have a rule set that requires a million bullet points.  Something like your Double Dragon week was quick and easy to understand, and so more people played...

On 1/14/2023 at 4:43 PM, Splain said:

I'm personally down with oddballs, but I understand that participation is king.

I'm going to go with my original choice.  Get ready for Digidrive next week!

19 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I think the biggest issue is making the runs shorter.  As soon as I saw that this week was going to take me a while to get profiecient, never mind a while to complete the multiple objectives once I was proficient, I put it off, knowing I'd have to block off time to play it, which never happened.  But if I see a simple rule set and it's something I can do in under half an hour (or a distance challenge, so that even a five minute shitty run will count) then I'm more interested in playing the game and it seems like less of a chore.  The rules for this week made it really look like a chore, so my constructive criticism would be not to have a rule set that requires a million bullet points.  Something like your Double Dragon week was quick and easy to understand, and so more people played...

Thanks for the feedback.  For this challenge, you really only needed to complete the first stage to participate, but I understand that doing so may take some time for someone unfamiliar with the genre and I do see the value in having a complete run be shorter.  Military Madness was the exception though, so none of the other games should require as big a time commitment.

• Wow! 1