IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Twin Eagle, one life clear. It's important to always use your bombs whenever the green tanks than shoot the circular missiles show up. Don't even think about it, just use them. I'm not sure why the score counter goes to the ten millions when I only ended up with around 635,000 points.

0yDQuPw.png

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 129/667 (bonus games - tba)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 133/667 (bonus games - tba)
6 hours ago, fusoyaff2 said:

Getting myself onto the 2023 scoreboard with Shadowgate. FACT: this was the first game I ever speedran, going back to the early 90s. I was quite rusty tonight and after forgetting to get the wand from the lightning rod room when I visited the snake, I finished with an embarrassing 26:14.

PXL_20230103_060129830.jpg

Aww, I meant to take this out yesterday evening, but ended up feeling a bit too wiped and ended up watching TV before going to bed instead.  Good job in making sure it got done!

I wouldn't say that I speedran it, but a friend had a copy and started talking about it one day when I was over.  He mentioned being stuck, and I asked where, then immediately told him what he was missing.  He was like, "Wow, so you've beaten it?"  I said that I had, and that I liked it so much I kept playing it and could show him in about 10 minutes, if he wanted.  His mom popped around the corner with her eyebrow hiked high and was like, "10 minutes?  No way, we've been stuck on that game for days, there's no way you can do it that fast."  So, I took that as a personal challenge, and finished in something like 7-8 minutes instead of the 10 I'd thrown out, lol.  There was some real satisfaction at the look of delight on my friend's face and his mom's jaw just hanging open at the same time.  🤣

I have to say that the only time that I ever got stuck as a kid was in the lab, trying to get the holy water.  I'd rented it one Friday evening from Blockbuster, and as I settled in to play, some member of my family came into the room and started watching.  Then, as I played longer, another came in, sat down, and did the same, until both my parents and my brother were all hanging out watching, and adding their thoughts and suggestions as needed.  We got stuck at the Hell Hound, and we all guessed correctly as to what we needed in order to get by, but hadn't figured it out.  So, I dug through my issues of Nintendo Power and saw a small section in one issue, with a photo to boot, about that very section.  What got us stuck even worse was the fact that it stated to "use the hook to pull the holy water out of the floor," but there wasn't anything specifically called a hook that we'd picked up, nor anything in the room that responded correctly.  I didn't end up beating it until I got it later in the year for either my birthday or Christmas, and it all went quickly once I accidentally forgot to click the "use" button and just clicked on the spot on the screen.

This game will always be great, regardless of how many times I play it.  I really wanted to feel the same about the other two NES Kemco titles, but neither Deja Vu nor Uninvited had quite the same level of charm or flow to their theme and puzzles that Shadowgate did.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PII said:

To be expected, not dissin', but....

One of these years some big 'ol dogs are gonna show up and start bangin' out 10-pointers left and right, right out of the gate...  🐕

I never end up scoring very high by the end of the year, but I try to help with a few of the 9 and 10 pointers. Hoping to do even more this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fusoyaff2 said:

See this is why I don't jump in too early on this challenge anymore. Too many people snagging at the fast and easy games. I see someone already beat me to what used to be my yearly tradition of Castlevania 3 on New Years Day.

I think some folks (such as myself) aren't really competing so much as wanting to contribute, and playing the games that we actually enjoy.  As far as the "fast and easy" games are concerned, those tend to be very low points, so they don't really matter too much in the grand scheme of things so far as the competition is concerned.  If you want to be represented by simply having a lot of games under your name, I'm sure there are plenty of quick finishes remaining for you to take on and post, you've just got to get to it.

Regarding your yearly tradition, the person who beat Castlevania 3 did it yesterday, on the 2nd.  If it was your thing that you really wanted to do on the 1st, you had that option--nobody blocked you from doing it, and when you didn't, someone else had fun playing and beating the game.  I honestly thought about it myself, but spent time playing other games, with my kids, etc.  If you really want that to be your thing, there's always next year, just make sure you do it, otherwise it's up for grabs, just like every other game in the library until it's been finished.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 135/667 (bonus games - tba)

image.jpeg.bb55826ebb817f5d39985e76e89eeef3.jpeg

image.jpeg.2b9fd292f8914974c537bddf7693553e.jpeg

image.jpeg.a25dfb66dfba4915de4165bf8e848696.jpeg

image.jpeg.038e40dd61b001c80c790b67793c7103.jpeg

image.jpeg.f1533107540dcefe1309306e96d99d42.jpeg

Beat Mega Man 4. Played the Japanese version.

The game has quite a few glitches. These work in most versions of the game, including Mega Man Anniversary Collection on PS2 and GameCube.

Note: I didn't use any of these glitches in my recent playthrough.

Edited by MegaMan52

53 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Regarding your yearly tradition, the person who beat Castlevania 3 did it yesterday, on the 2nd.  If it was your thing that you really wanted to do on the 1st, you had that option--nobody blocked you from doing it, and when you didn't, someone else had fun playing and beating the game. 

I spent January 1 on a 16 hour shift at work, so I wasn't gonna be doing any gaming.

I beat Super Pitfall again. A really simple run when the route is fresh in your head, takes maybe 15 minutes.

PXL_20230103_180635972.jpg

5 minutes ago, fusoyaff2 said:

I spent January 1 on a 16 hour shift at work, so I wasn't gonna be doing any gaming.

I beat Super Pitfall again. A really simple run when the route is fresh in your head, takes maybe 15 minutes.

PXL_20230103_180635972.jpg

Sorry to hear that work spoiled your tradition.  Glad to see that it didn't stop you from joining the dogpile that this particular list has become in the last 3 days!