IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

Out of the 113 games that went unbeaten in 2022, 87 had also gone unbeaten in a previous year. That means 26 games went uncleared for the first time:

Alpha Mission, Athena, Bill & Ted's Excellent Video Game Adventure, Bo Jackson Baseball, California Games, Castle of Dragon, Chubby Cherub, Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum, Dragon's Lair, Gemfire, Genghis Khan, Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour, Kiwi Kraze, Legend of Kage, Raid on Bungeling Bay, Section Z, Shooting Range, Star Soldier, Starship Hector, Strider, Tecmo Baseball, Tom & Jerry, Uncharted Waters, Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds, World Class Track Meet, Xevious

Overall, 416/662 games have still been beaten in all 11 years (2012-22), or 62.84%. The lowest ranked game to be beaten every year is Ren & Stimpy Buckaroos, a 9 pointer at 587th overall. The next lowest in order are: Wall Street Kid, James Bond Jr, Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego, NES Play Action Football, Prince of Persia, and 3D Worldrunner.

When I read this, I thought, "Strider?  Seriously?"  So, I went ahead and beat it.  Fun fact, it was one of the two NES games that I specifically asked for (and got!) when I got my original NES for Christmas and I 99% beat it that morning, then got stuck at/by the very end for ~20-25 years until someone wrote a clear and concise walkthrough.  I got all the way up to Matic, but couldn't figure out how to damage him, and constantly got killed whenever I tried to fight him.

All the walkthroughs of the day (as well as all the ones on GameFAQs for the longest time, if not to this day) simply stated "knock the cipher out of Matic's hands and then hit him with your sword as much as possible to defeat him."  It wasn't until a relative few years ago that I got the itch to try to beat the game again and finally found someone who specifically stated that you used the plasma arrow to knock the sword out of Matic's hands, then let him have it.  I beat the game for the first time immediately following that revelation.

I don't know if anybody else had the same experience that I did, but it just never occurred to me to try to use that thing, as the move is neat, but it's also kind of useless, and it's possible to get to the end of the game and not even obtain it.  Anyway, game's done for this year.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 108/667 (bonus games - tba)
2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

When I read this, I thought, "Strider?  Seriously?"  So, I went ahead and beat it.  Fun fact, it was one of the two NES games that I specifically asked for (and got!) when I got my original NES for Christmas and I 99% beat it that morning, then got stuck at/by the very end for ~20-25 years until someone wrote a clear and concise walkthrough.  I got all the way up to Matic, but couldn't figure out how to damage him, and constantly got killed whenever I tried to fight him.

All the walkthroughs of the day (as well as all the ones on GameFAQs for the longest time, if not to this day) simply stated "knock the cipher out of Matic's hands and then hit him with your sword as much as possible to defeat him."  It wasn't until a relative few years ago that I got the itch to try to beat the game again and finally found someone who specifically stated that you used the plasma arrow to knock the sword out of Matic's hands, then let him have it.  I beat the game for the first time immediately following that revelation.

I don't know if anybody else had the same experience that I did, but it just never occurred to me to try to use that thing, as the move is neat, but it's also kind of useless, and it's possible to get to the end of the game and not even obtain it.  Anyway, game's done for this year.

Lol whoa, I almost started Strider until I read this. 

image.jpeg.dd5f6942d192ddce096c04e287084344.jpeg

image.jpeg.0de6be11777fe4d792fc92359b944887.jpeg

image.jpeg.8d7dab3dc3b69803cfbf4d5903cb01d8.jpeg

Beat Kirby's Adventure. Not sure if it was required, but I got 100%. I've beaten the game many times over the years and know where the secret rooms are.

Fun fact: The French version uses the "Cannon" (or "Canon" in the French version) picture that is unused in the Japanese and American versions:

image.jpeg.986d4dbcdb2911b42ad9efbf7440b851.jpeg

image.jpeg.61214ad60314852ff14378e195d5a1d8.jpeg

There's a secret area in level 2 featuring the HAL Laboratory name. This is still in the GBA remake.

The title screen music from Kirby's Dream Land is in the Sound Test.

image.jpeg.194b4fe193a5cebd4decb15adaa1d21c.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

image.jpeg.63a2b659183b43e91dd05e74ba53db91.jpeg

image.jpeg.b67be230158f2af1e5e2760b941b0984.jpeg

Beat Monster Party.

There's a glitch in level 7 (or "round 7" as the game calls it) that makes it impossible to complete the level. If you beat too many bosses, you'll lose the key. No biggie; just get to the goal as soon as you've got the key.

image.jpeg.7d03ff54050dfe10fd6ab498b1df44a7.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 121/667 (bonus games - tba)