IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 507/667 (bonus games - 39/100)
7 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Beat Super C deathless and all I want to say........ the damned...... level........ 6........ Also my phone ate the photo of transitioning screen with scores. DAMNIT! 😡

Sounds like a good run for full recording, presuming the score screen goes by real quick..

I am now off to a 4-0 start on the Colts season in Tecmo Super Bowl. Of course, the computer's AI and aggressiveness ramp up over the course of the season, but this seems very doable so far. The defense actually seems fairly tough, even if they lack great speed. The O-line is solid, and I'm having success running the ball with Bentley. Jeff George has a strong arm, and his receivers can do stuff as long as they don't drop the passes (which they do seem to have a tendency to do...)

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 510/667 (bonus games - 40/100)

MIGHTY BOMB JACK is done.

I did a run for both crystal balls this time and so was able to enter the Queen's and Princess's Chambers in addition to the King's Chamber.  I did not go for enough Secret Coins to get into Beelzebub's Chamber at the end though.  That'll have to be a future run sometime.  That, @scaryice by the way would be another great entry on the challenge list.  I wonder if anyone has ever recorded a legit %100 (every item) run of this game....?  That would be a monstrous achievement, especially if it was also a no death.

Edited by PII
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Just for shits and giggles I decided to try a Warp Only Run of this which I hadn't tried in a while and have never completed before tonight.  (If you die at any point you'll go back to the beginning of the game.)  If I had bothered to get everything on level 1 before reaching the 1st Palace Room (warp point) my score probably would have been around 200k.  Since the last Palace Room (16) will spit you out onto the last level even if you pick up the bombs warp style I just winged that one and didn't pick up the bombs in any particular order, but could have picked up the bombs point style for a big point bonus.  Not sure exactly how much it would have been but my semi-educated guess would be no less than 50k so getting at least 250k would presumably be possible.  Def. a good challenge and a great way to break into the game by practicing the palace rooms warp style pick up by collecting the lit bomb last.

MBJ WARP RUN.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 515/667 (bonus games - 40/100)

The Tecmo Super Bowl Challenge is done.

My Colts just beat the Saints 30-27 in the Super Bowl. I went 11-5 in the regular season, clinched the #1 seed in the playoffs, squeaked past the Broncos 14-12 in the divisional round, pummeled the #2 seed Bengals 33-16 in the AFC title game, and then finished the deal against the Saints.

I'll admit I cheesed it a little bit by resetting the console a few times during the other teams' playoff games, because I wanted to see the Bills, Raiders, and Bears in particular eliminated from the playoffs before I got there. Everybody knows that it's almost impossible to stop Bo Jackson (Raiders), but Thurman Thomas (Bills) and Neal Anderson (Bears) are just as deadly on the ground. It's especially true when you're playing with a blue-collar defense like the Colts with no stars and subpar speed.

I had to play all three teams during the regular season (the Bills twice even!), and finished 2-2 against them. Bo was injured early in the game against the Raiders, and the rest of his team wasn't much of a match for me. And I had my best comeback of the season in my first game with the Bills. I think I was down two touchdowns halfway through the fourth quarter. I scored a game-tying touchdown on a long-bomb pass as time expired, won the coin toss for overtime, and scored again to escape with a six-point win. But in the rematch, the Bills beat me by about 20 points. And when I played the Bears, they led 21-0 through three quarters and I only got a garbage TD in the fourth to lose 21-7. (I think Neal Anderson finished with like 225 yards and all three of their TDs on something like 7 carries.)

Overall, I can see why the Colts would have a reputation for being the weakest team in Tecmo Super Bowl. I don't think they have a Pro Bowl-caliber player on either side of the ball. But, to be honest, I thought they were much better than the Packers when I won a Super Bowl with them a few years ago. The Packers have a Top-10 receiver in Sterling Sharpe, and oddly the best NT in the game with Bob Nelson, and QB "Magic" Majkowski is somewhere in the middle of the pack (as is the Colts' Jeff George). But the Packers' supporting players are MUCH worse than the Colts'. With the Colts, I could run the ball with Albert Bentley and had plenty of competent (if not exceptional) receivers to just throw to whoever was open. With the Packers, all I could do was put "Magic" in the shotgun (to keep the pass rush a couple seconds away, since the O-line was useless) every play and throw the ball to Sharpe (whether he was covered or not). The Colts were also tougher on defense than the Packers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Gonna play through StarTropics again tonight. Been a while, but I should be able to do it in under 2 hours. Here we go...

GG, StarTropics is done. Some issues on 7-1, game overed so I had to take the safe route. Forgot some of the dark areas too. Still, pretty smooth for not having played it in 4 years.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 516/667 (bonus games - 41/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 517/667 (bonus games - 41/100)

I finally beat Portopia the other day, after getting stuck last year. I broke down and used a guide, and wow, that game was some absolute BS. I don't know if I ever would've gotten all the necessary items blind. I didn't care so much about using a guide because I was actually spoiled on the culprit's identity recently, just by reading Famicom collecting stuff. I guess it's one of those common spoilers that everyone from that era knows, like FF7.

12 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I finally beat Portopia the other day, after getting stuck last year. I broke down and used a guide, and wow, that game was some absolute BS. I don't know if I ever would've gotten all the necessary items blind. I didn't care so much about using a guide because I was actually spoiled on the culprit's identity recently, just by reading Famicom collecting stuff. I guess it's one of those common spoilers that everyone from that era knows, like FF7.

Is this one of those satsujin jiken (murder case) games? Yes a lot of them are absolute BSes. They may be fun and interesting to play but you really need to be fluent in Japanese to play them for realz

10 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Is this one of those satsujin jiken (murder case) games? Yes a lot of them are absolute BSes. They may be fun and interesting to play but you really need to be fluent in Japanese to play them for realz

Yeah, it's basically the first popular one that inspired so many other ones. I played the English translation, but the problem is you have to find invisible items to progress, and you have to hit the exact right spot. Like, you can examine a table and find nothing, because you didn't examine a certain part of it. That sort of thing.