IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've been working on Bram Stoker's Dracula. At first it didn't seem so bad for a 9-pointer, just very janky. Then I realized that you need to play the game on hard mode to actually play all of the levels, because after level 4 it basically taunts you that you have to play it on hard mode. I ended up getting a game over in level 6. Some of these get really mean and difficult, especially since this game relies on a lot of "cheap" difficulty, like having enemies appear right in front of you and out of nowhere! So if you don't know what to look out for it's borderline impossible to avoid a hit. On you're jumping on another platform and immediately some enemy appears out of the background. It's so cheap! Anyway, maybe I can still beat it this weekend. I only need to rack up enough lives and continues in the early part of the game.

Once past the initial frustrations of the cheap enemy spawns I came to enjoy the memorization factor in this one.  It just comes down to rehearsing a level enough, paying attention at each and every step until you can run it flawless or something highly comparable.  The timer is more annoying since it doesn't reset after a death.  So prior to getting good, one will inevitably die with say, 8 seconds left and have another guaranteed death coming right up.  The cryptic stuff in this game is fun to find.

1 hour ago, PII said:

..and they're all slanted at the end!  So you've gotta jump hard up/left without going over the edge and not slide down to the right either; So Mean! 

I reached the very end today but barely had any lives.  If I can get there with a couple continues I should be able to beat this.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 485/667 (bonus games - 35/100)
21 hours ago, PII said:

..and they're all slanted at the end!  So you've gotta jump hard up/left without going over the edge and not slide down to the right either; So Mean! 

Boy you weren't kidding how hard this part is. I made it there with a continue left, and it feels impossible. I wasn't able to progress there at all. You can't play it too safe nor can you be aggressive. It feels impossible.  I'm gonna need a lot more practice.  Even getting there with lives and continues is rough.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Boy you weren't kidding how hard this part is. I made it there with a continue left, and it feels impossible. I wasn't able to progress there at all. You can't play it too safe nor can you be aggressive. It feels impossible.  I'm gonna need a lot more practice.  Even getting there with lives and continues is rough.

Yeah, the almighty foot should def. be on some list of toughest final bosses.  But do not despair; you are close.  It'll prob. take a little practice just to get used to moving around up there.  To me it felt like the top of the mountain was greased or something.  The first key is to get used to following the foot on its path, close behind, without accidentally bumping into it and without getting crushed by either of those sky boulders perpetually klonking down.  Then you've gotta be able to tongue-dart the foot pretty much without letting up at all because as soon as you stop the foot completely recharges its energy in a very short period of time; like 1 second.  Once you get sufficient at that it'll most likely take somewhere in the vicinity of 1 - 2 trips around the mountain top to kill the foot.  I'm pretty sure it's possible to kill it in less, like 3/4 of a trip around, but only if your shootin' thumb is especially fast.  I think the fastest I ever did it was a little more than one time around and the slowest was like one and a half times.  It's pretty intimidating after the difficulty of getting up there in the first place but just like every other tough game, once you can do it you'll realize it's not quite as impossible as it first seemed.

I made a post about this here a couple years back when I beat it.  The first time I managed to beat the foot up there after no shortage of runs practicing, it was on my last life and then got killed right after, by a sky boulder lol.  So I had to do it all over again.  If you're feelin' frustrated just think about that, have a laugh and give it another go when you're ready.  You're gonna get really good at the last coupla levels.

6 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, the almighty foot should def. be on some list of toughest final bosses.  But do not despair; you are close.  It'll prob. take a little practice just to get used to moving around up there.  To me it felt like the top of the mountain was greased or something.  The first key is to get used to following the foot on its path, close behind, without accidentally bumping into it and without getting crushed by either of those sky boulders perpetually klonking down.  Then you've gotta be able to tongue-dart the foot pretty much without letting up at all because as soon as you stop the foot completely recharges its energy in a very short period of time; like 1 second.  Once you get sufficient at that it'll most likely take somewhere in the vicinity of 1 - 2 trips around the mountain top to kill the foot.  I'm pretty sure it's possible to kill it in less, like 3/4 of a trip around, but only if your shootin' thumb is especially fast.  I think the fastest I ever did it was a little more than one time around and the slowest was like one and a half times.  It's pretty intimidating after the difficulty of getting up there in the first place but just like every other tough game, once you can do it you'll realize it's not quite as impossible as it first seemed.

I made a post about this here a couple years back when I beat it.  The first time I managed to beat the foot up there after no shortage of runs practicing, it was on my last life and then got killed right after, by a sky boulder lol.  So I had to do it all over again.  If you're feelin' frustrated just think about that, have a laugh and give it another go when you're ready.  You're gonna get really good at the last coupla levels.

Oh no, I haven't reached the foot yet, I was referring to that last part of level 10 right before the final exit. That's the furthest I've got. This section has a reputation for being extremely hard so it might take me awhile.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Oh no, I haven't reached the foot yet, I was referring to that last part of level 10 right before the final exit. That's the furthest I've got. This section has a reputation for being extremely hard so it might take me awhile.

Oh damn, my bad.  Well, the good thing about those steps is you always restart on the last step you've reached so if you land on one and fall off, at least you've made it one more step up...

3 minutes ago, PII said:

Oh damn, my bad.  Well, the good thing about those steps is you always restart on the last step you've reached so if you land on one and fall off, at least you've made it one more step up...

So the secret is just get there with  a lot of lives/continues.

I wonder if anyone has actually beaten this deathless. I've seen "deathless" runs on Youtube that I suspect are all tool assisted.

Edited by mbd39

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

So the secret is just get there with  a lot of lives/continues.

I wonder if anyone has actually beaten this deathless. I've seen "deathless" runs on Youtube that I suspect are all tool assisted.

Yeah, for starters anyway; you can get there with lots of extra lives/continues for practice.

That's a good question.  It would take a hell of a lot of practice along with a big dose of luck too.

The ending reminds me of the ending of Willy Wonka, and the beginning of the book that came after - the great glass elevator... 

It's very possibly the most under-recognized game on the console.

"Sneaky Snakes" on Gameboy is cool, but it's a crime against video games that we've never had a true sequel to this, or even a good rip-off.  Sonic 3D Blast is clearly inspired by this but it lacks all the intricate ledge hopping that makes this one so great.

10 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, for starters anyway; you can get there with lots of extra lives/continues for practice.

That's a good question.  It would take a hell of a lot of practice along with a big dose of luck too.

The ending reminds me of the ending of Willy Wonka, and the beginning of the book that came after - the great glass elevator... 

"Sneaky Snakes" on Gameboy is cool, but it's a crime against video games that we've never had a true sequel to this, or even a good rip-off.  Sonic 3D Blast is clearly inspired by this but it lacks all the intricate ledge hopping that makes this one so great.

I see the game as being kind of a spiritual sequel to Marble Madness on the NES even though it plays a lot differently.

I wonder how much harder Marble Madness would be if you had a limited number of lives such as in SR&R. I can no-death MM now, but when learning it you die a bunch of times.

Edited by mbd39

22 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I see the game as being kind of a spiritual sequel to Marble Madness on the NES even though it plays a lot differently.

Yeah, I can see that.  Never thought of it that way before.  Another deserving game that got robbed of a sequel.  I know one was made but not released.  I think there might be some way to play it though..

25 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I wonder how much harder Marble Madness would be if you had a limited number of lives such as in SR&R. I can no-death MM now, but when learning it you die a bunch of times.

I'm fully expecting you to get the world record on that one at some point. 😉 

On 3/5/2023 at 2:49 PM, PII said:

I almost made it to the stage 10 exit but unfortunately I was out of lives. I only need one lucky run at this point.

I hope that the foot isn't too hard. I saw Mike Matei do it and it doesn't seem too bad if you can mash fast enough.

10 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I almost made it to the stage 10 exit but unfortunately I was out of lives. I only need one lucky run at this point.

I hope that the foot isn't too hard. I saw Mike Matei do it and it doesn't seem too bad if you can mash fast enough.

Hard or crazy hard you've made it this far; you can do it.  😼

22 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Oh man, I think I was on my last life of my last continue. It was a terrible run up to that point, but I still did it.

Nice goin!  Looks like that pic was taken on the fly by a guy who really didn't want to miss it go by!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 491/667 (bonus games - 35/100)

I've just started a playthrough of Faria after going back and forth on a few other games. Luckily, this one seems up my alley and not overly difficult or frustrating. So I'll continue it in the upcoming days unless someone else has already started their playthrough before me. So far I've only beaten the first dungeon.

37 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've just started a playthrough of Faria after going back and forth on a few other games. Luckily, this one seems up my alley and not overly difficult or frustrating. So I'll continue it in the upcoming days unless someone else has already started their playthrough before me. So far I've only beaten the first dungeon.

I really liked the game, I think you'll enjoy it. Sometimes the combat can be a little janky, but once you get some levels under your belt and get a feel for the controls it's actually quite fun. The early game can be a bit rough with how expensive the items are and how few options you have in combat, plus the way some of the enemies move, but it gets better. I seem to remember the end being quite difficult, even with the best gear.

I actually don't like to play my NES games often now because I kinda like revisiting them when I forget what to do.  So I'm a bit interested to try some of these again on this list.  Some of these I'll have no trouble beating, but most of them I haven't played them in a while

Easy:

5     Batman: Return of the Joker

4     Bionic Commando

7     Blaster Master

5     Die Hard

8     Knight Rider

7     Predator

Ones I haven't played in a long time:

8     8 Eyes
7     Conan: The Mysteries of Time
5     Conquest of the Crystal Palace
5     Cool World
8     Dirty Harry: The War Against Drugs
8     Low G-Man
5     Shadow of the Ninja
7     Snake's Revenge: Metal Gear II

In fact, Die Hard is so easy (and I love it) i'll beat it now.