IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

I've been working on Gauntlet, trying to beat it with the warrior. Made it to the last password spot (level 79) with all the upgrade potions and max keys/bombs. Of course, that's only half the battle, since you have to do the rest of the game in one go and it's very hard.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 475/667 (bonus games - 34/100)

Earthbound Beginnings aka Mother is done. Like I said earlier, the story is really interesting with lots of quirky ideas and the music is pretty great as well. But the gameplay, or rather the combat, really dragged the whole experience down for me. At times it was a real slog to get through which is why it took me so long.

Earthbound Beginnings.jpg

• Like 1

I reached the last stage in Snake, Rattle n Roll today for the first time and got a decent ways into it. Progress! I hope to have this beat within the next few days. But I know this last ice stage is gonna be a nightmare at the end.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I reached the last stage in Snake, Rattle n Roll today for the first time and got a decent ways into it. Progress! I hope to have this beat within the next few days. But I know this last ice stage is gonna be a nightmare at the end.

Don't give up!  And have a bucket of ice ready to go for your right hand after beat the evil foot...

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 480/667 (bonus games - 35/100)
9 hours ago, PII said:

Don't give up!  And have a bucket of ice ready to go for your right hand after beat the evil foot...

This is a super fun game. I'm really enjoying it.

But if I make it all the way to the final boss and game over that's really going to suck. Hope I can beat him the first time.

30 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

But if I make it all the way to the final boss and game over that's really going to suck. Hope I can beat him the first time.

I feel this in my bones. Been grinding away at X-men for a week or so now, on-and-off, finally made it to the final level. Got to the final boss luckily, and then died on him. Fuckin' game.

Airwolf is done. I got nervous about losing my lead so I knocked out this 10-pointer that I can beat somewhat reliably. I did it on my second try and on my last life.

Also, I've been wondering what happened to the Wizard. He was on his way beating Dungeon Magic and he wanted to beat Metal Mech and Mission: Impossible, iirc. I've been holding out on these games and was wondering if I could maybe go at them or if I should wait some more time.

Airwolf.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

On 3/2/2023 at 10:23 PM, PII said:

I came really close today. Reached level 10 with all of my continues and made it to near the end. Some of those jumps are evil because you're also constantly fighting against slipping off the ice. It's ice physics taken to an absurd degree.

I've been working on Bram Stoker's Dracula. At first it didn't seem so bad for a 9-pointer, just very janky. Then I realized that you need to play the game on hard mode to actually play all of the levels, because after level 4 it basically taunts you that you have to play it on hard mode. I ended up getting a game over in level 6. Some of these get really mean and difficult, especially since this game relies on a lot of "cheap" difficulty, like having enemies appear right in front of you and out of nowhere! So if you don't know what to look out for it's borderline impossible to avoid a hit. On you're jumping on another platform and immediately some enemy appears out of the background. It's so cheap! Anyway, maybe I can still beat it this weekend. I only need to rack up enough lives and continues in the early part of the game.

Just now, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've been working on Bram Stoker's Dracula. At first it didn't seem so bad for a 9-pointer, just very janky. Then I realized that you need to play the game on hard mode to actually play all of the levels, because after level 4 it basically taunts you that you have to play it on hard mode. I ended up getting a game over in level 6. Some of these get really mean and difficult, especially since this game relies on a lot of "cheap" difficulty, like having enemies appear right in front of you and out of nowhere! So if you don't know what to look out for it's borderline impossible to avoid a hit. On you're jumping on another platform and immediately some enemy appears out of the background. It's so cheap! Anyway, maybe I can still beat it this weekend. I only need to rack up enough lives and continues in the early part of the game.

I played this for a NES contest on AtariAge and had the exact same frustrations. Enemies suddenly appearing right in front of you. I remember the timer being really annoying as well.

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I came really close today. Reached level 10 with all of my continues and made it to near the end. Some of those jumps are evil because you're also constantly fighting against slipping off the ice. It's ice physics taken to an absurd degree.

..and they're all slanted at the end!  So you've gotta jump hard up/left without going over the edge and not slide down to the right either; So Mean!