IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I feel like some people online overstate how bad this game is. For an early NES game it was quite decent, imho. Only a little bit repetitive in the long run and the format isn't really ideal for highscore hunting.

It's a fun little game alright.  The cart sold well and everyone I knew as a kid liked it.  It's really too bad we didn't get an even more RPG-like sequel with a huge over-world of Ocean to explore.  I would be all over that game if it came out today.   It's certainly not like there was a lack of source material.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PII said:

It's a fun little game alright.  The cart sold well and everyone I knew as a kid liked it

Weird that it got such a bad reputation in hindsight. Maybe because of the AVGN? And I feel like the closest NES game regarding your idea might have been Pirates or maybe Uncharted Waters? But still not quite the same.

Anyway, Castlevania is done.

Castlevania.jpg

• Agree 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 48/667 (bonus games - tba)
6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Hey @scaryice, you may need to double check the numbers...Nightshade was a 9 last year when I beat it, but it's listed as a 10 now...that can't be right...

It's actually right. Let me explain: The points are based on the last 5 years, so the 2017 data was replaced with the 2022 data. And Nightshade was beaten 29 spots higher in 2017 vs 2022, so it ended up losing a bit of ground - falling from 589th to 598th overall. The final 9 point game is #595, so it was barely was a 9 last year, and now just barely fell into the 10s this year.

Just finished Felix the Cat. I've already heard good things about this game and it mostly lives up to its good reputation. It controls well, there are plenty of upgrades and levels. Also, the difficulty is rather low so it makes for a chill playthrough and is suitable for children etc. On top of that the graphics are pretty decent and the tunes are nice to listen to.

If I had to criticize anything, then it would be the bosses which were mostly the same. It felt like there were only 2 different patterns for the eight regular bosses. Luckily the final boss was a bit different and slightly more challenging. Other than that it's a pleasant game.

Felix the Cat.jpg

• Love 1

image.jpeg.b6f99be97fc2c280ee83ee29e1276586.jpeg

image.jpeg.dc739a18f994d358f651a0d85ec4b8c7.jpeg

Beat Mega Man 3, my favorite game in the series (along with Mega Man 5). It is certainly the one I've played the most. In fact, I still have my original copy that I've had since 1994.

image.jpeg.586165fa04347d1c651df7dab5786642.jpeg

Also, I recommend checking out Mega Man 3 Improvement if you haven't. It restores a lot of things that were cut from the game. I did a full playthrough of Improvement in 2020 for Mega Man 3's 30th Anniversary.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1