IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

5 hours ago, scaryice said:

Very nice to have this one off the board so early! Certainly one of the longer and more annoying games to finish.

Yeah, I started at 8AM and finished around 3:30PM, playing on and off. I'd say it took around 4.5 hours total.

Certainly not a very difficult game, but incredibly stressful anyway. The last thing you want to do is fuck up 3 hours in and have to start over. Thankful I got the pic and got to knock it off the list.

• Like 1

I might need your judgement on whether or not this counts. So after trying to beat Othello for hours I decided to look up the playthrough by NintendoComplete to see what I was doing wrong and what they were doing differently until I realized that the CPU does the exact same moves. So I followed that guide and eventually "beat" COM-4 and COM-5. Does this even count as completion then?

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I might need your judgement on whether or not this counts. So after trying to beat Othello for hours I decided to look up the playthrough by NintendoComplete to see what I was doing wrong and what they were doing differently until I realized that the CPU does the exact same moves. So I followed that guide and eventually "beat" COM-4 and COM-5. Does this even count as completion then?

That's what I did last year.  Though the Com 5 round does have some variation to it.  If it ran identical to the playthrough on the first attempt, you got extremely lucky.

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I mean, that's cheap, but it counts. I downloaded an Othello program in order to beat it, so I can't act like I'm any better.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 271/667 (bonus games - tba)
1 hour ago, scaryice said:

I mean, that's cheap, but it counts. I downloaded an Othello program in order to beat it, so I can't act like I'm any better.

I couldn't find anything like that, or I probably would've done that myself.  If it were chess it'd be easy to find a solver...not that it's necessary for Chessmaster, as I managed to beat the computer on the default  settings with the scholar's mate when I crossed it off my list.  I was actually stunned that it worked 😛

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

Vegas Dream done, just a matter of re-entering the password over and over while you try to double up a bunch of times:

XiqsaBp.png

It's even easier than that if you follow a speed run. Basically, just sit at the slots and continually wait, until you get the high/low girl.  You can double up continually as long as you like.  I took a couple passwords down when it got sketchy, but I got it done a lot faster than blackjack would've.

• Like 1

I've (finally) posted the bonus games list! It includes the same 40 unlicensed and 15 PAL games from last year (both of which were not cleared, BTW), as well as 25 Famicom games (no repeats from a year ago). I picked at least one game from each of the top 12 most prolific publishers (there's only five Konami games because I was holding back - seriously, they have so many good ones). I also tried not to pick too many long rpgs. Here's a list of those games:

• Attack Animal Gakuen
  • Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa
  • Bokosuka Wars
  • Cosmo Police Galivan
  • Don Doko Don 2
  • Donald Land
  • Fantasy Zone II
  • Ganbare Goemon 2
  • Hi no Tori
  • Holy Diver
  • Idol Hakkenden
  • Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2
  • Keroppi to Keroriinu no Splash Bomb
  • Konami Wai Wai World
  • Lagrange Point
  • Metal Slader Glory
  • Mitsume ga Tooru
  • Mother
  • Pizza Pop
  • Pocket Zaurus
  • Star Wars (Namco)
  • Sweet Home
  • Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima IV
  • Takeshi no Chousenjou
  • Zombie Hunter

Lastly, here's the list of 20 challenges:

Adventure Island II or III - Beat the game without using a dinosaur. Pretty self-explanatory.

Castlevania - Beat the game while only using the whip. That means no sub-weapons usage.

Duck Tales - Beat the game by getting the bad ending (exactly 0 dollars). See here for details.

Final Fantasy - Beat the game with a single character (kill off others asap). This has been a popular challenge among fans for a long time.

Gauntlet - Beat the game with the warrior. Have you tried to play as this guy? He's super slow in a game where your health constantly ticks down.

Guerilla War - Beat the game without continuing. I've done this previously, and it makes the game into a totally different experience.

Kirby's Adventure - Beat the "extra game". It's the harder difficulty that unlocks after you get 100%.

Legend of Zelda - Complete a swordless run (get to Gannon). You can't quite finish the game without a sword, but you can get all the way to the final room. Another challenge people have been doing for ages. I hear the wand is very useful...

Mega Man 2 - Beat the game only using the default weapon (except for boobeam trap & alien, item 1/2/3 use ok). You need the Crash Bombs for the boobeam boss, and the Bubble Lead for the Alien. That's it.

Mega Man 3 - Beat the game only using the default weapon (except for final boss, rush use ok). I believe only the final boss needs anything other than the buster? I know there's a very difficult enemy to get past in the Doc Robot Spark Man part, on the ladder. I remember just using another weapon there when I did this run years ago, however it actually can be gotten past.

Metroid - Beat the game while getting 100% items. You'll have to keep track yourself, unlike the later games. Speedrun.com has the details: 21 Missile Tanks, 8 Energy Tanks, Morph Ball, both Ice Beams, Bombs, Varia Suit, Wave Beam, Screw Attack, Hi Jump, and Long Beam.

Mike Tyson's Punch Out - Beat "Another World Circuit." Use the password to access it.

Ninja Gaiden - Beat the game while only using the sword. That means no sub-weapons usage.

Super C - Beat the game without dying. To me, this was a lot more challenging than doing it for Contra. But it's not too bad since it's so short.

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Beat the game without getting hit (or dying). Warps are fine.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Beat the game without dying (no warps). I did this on the Famicom version, and it was tough. This one should be a little easier, though you still need to plan out your P-wing/cloud usage.

Tecmo Super Bowl - Play a full season and win the Super Bowl with the Colts (no NT glitch). Indy is considered the worst team in the game. The Nose Tackle glitch would be when you easily sack the QB as soon as the ball is snapped. You should probably play as a LB or DB for fairness, I suppose.

TMNT - Beat the game by using only Michaelangelo & Raphael.

Wizards & Warriors - Beat the game without continuing. Like Guerilla War, this makes an easy game into a real test.

Zelda II - Beat the game while only leveling one stat (8-1-1, 1-8-1, or 1-1-8). I would recommend attack - the other two are much harder to complete.

asdf

Edited by scaryice
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 277/667 (bonus games - 0/100)

Let me just be the first to say YOWZA on those challenges. I thought you said some of those weren't going to be that hard? I've only done one of those before (Mega Man 2). and done the Mega Man 3 challenge 99.9% before (that enemy on the ladder I had to resort to picking off with Shadow Blades... I didn't see any other way through).

I've also won a Super Bowl with the Packers in Tecmo Super Bowl, who I thought were an absolute dogshit team. Their NT (Bob Nelson?) is for no good reason the best one in the league, but I would drop him back and play him as a linebacker or safety because he was literally the fastest defender on the team. (TSB has some weird stats...) Would that be considered legal with the Colts if I find their NT to be their best defender?

Oh, and I think I've done the "Another World Circuit" in Punch-Out...

I've spent 100+ hours apiece on more than half of these games in my lifetime and I don't feel like I'm halfway good enough to try 3/4s of these. Good luck, y'all.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Raid on Bungeling Bay is done. One round on difficulty B. I didn't realize until now that you can refuel your bombs on enemy air fields as well. Also, it's best to destroy the factories that are the farthest away from your carrier and to prioritize those factories that are near enemy air bases, because they constantly get air support that in later stages of the game just annihilates you.

Raid on Bungeling Bay.jpg

Just beat Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2. I just had to play this, because it felt like this might have been added because of my recent complaints about Kid Niki and others recommending the sequels to Kid Niki. I think they definitely improved quite a bit upon the original and made the individual levels much more distinct in both visuals and gameplay. The bosses also felt more creative and diverse. On top of that they've doubled down on the weirdness of the first game and made this one extremely Japanese and extremely weird. I laughed on several occasion, because so many bosses and enemies looked downright goofy and hilarious.

2092671858_KaiketsuYanchamaru2.jpg.973c99b8cddc94e121db9cb6a4f047c5.jpg

9 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Let me just be the first to say YOWZA on those challenges. I thought you said some of those weren't going to be that hard? I've only done one of those before (Mega Man 2). and done the Mega Man 3 challenge 99.9% before (that enemy on the ladder I had to resort to picking off with Shadow Blades... I didn't see any other way through).

I've also won a Super Bowl with the Packers in Tecmo Super Bowl, who I thought were an absolute dogshit team. Their NT (Bob Nelson?) is for no good reason the best one in the league, but I would drop him back and play him as a linebacker or safety because he was literally the fastest defender on the team. (TSB has some weird stats...) Would that be considered legal with the Colts if I find their NT to be their best defender?

Oh, and I think I've done the "Another World Circuit" in Punch-Out...

I've spent 100+ hours apiece on more than half of these games in my lifetime and I don't feel like I'm halfway good enough to try 3/4s of these. Good luck, y'all.

You're definitely good enough to do any of these. Have confidence! I've done a few before: Guerilla War, MM2, MM3, SMB3, Super C, Zelda 2. Honestly, those runs were easier and a more fun experience than beating bad obscure games like Metal Mech and Super Glove Ball. SMB3 was the hardest of those just because it's longer with no saves.

Obviously if it's a challenge, it's going to be harder than a normal run. I assume that with so many people who love these popular games, someone will be willing to put the effort in to tackle them. Everyone here has probably beaten Mario, for example, so I worried that making it too easy might be a problem. And also, it's hard to think of things other than difficulty to base it around - there's not a lot of NES games that allow a ton of different gameplay choices, and many of the ones that do are longer rpgs. Like, I was going to make a Dragon Warrior one about using certain characters/classes, but that's a big time commitment.

In Tecmo Super Bowl, if you pick the NT and just fall back, that would be ok.

Here's a clip of someone getting past that enemy in MM3: