IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

I am still going to soft-claim Castlevania but I did decide to start on Quest 64 and just beat the first boss in the forest. 

All that being said also did none of the things and started playing Spider-Man, and just beat Mysterio, so hopefully that one should be done by today or tomorrow. Also about halfway through Charlie Blasts. 

With any luck in the next week or two I should have Spider-Man, Charlie Blast, and Quest all completed and will be working on Castlevania.

• Like 2

Spider-Man is finished. This one is also hard to rate. I have massive nostalgia for this game, and it has so many great aspects to it. Legitimately fun boss fights, nice graphics, awesome voice acting, and a nice variety of levels. The combat, falls a little flat for me. Fighting game controls, i.e. button combos, simply do not work with platforming. I felt like this game couldn't really decide if it wanted to be a beat 'em up or a platformer and there were some extremely frustrating and difficult levels towards the end of the game. Spider-Man is slippery as all getout, with the only control of the camera being to snap with Z, making for some aspects of the game frustratingly aged. And the game was challenging towards the end. The enemies actually do a lot of damage. Yet, after all of that, the final two boss fights are laughably easy with a million health packs everywhere. I ended the game with full webs and full health. Though I have to give credit, that final boss chase was incredibly fun and a great way to end the game. I have to assume the other ports of this game are better though, as the lack of FMVs in true N64 fashion really hurts this one I think. The comic book style they went for was well done, though, I have to say. Overall, it was worse and more frustrating than I remembered from playing it as a kid, but I did have fun and have to consider it on the good game, worth playing list 👍

Also, it was all worth it if not only to see this fanfiction of an ending with all the characters playing go fish at a house party.

20230225_180202.jpg20230225_180314.jpg

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 8

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 170/303
Events Helper · Posted

So...... 228 is our next milestone at 75%  I should be able to knock out a few this week/end hopefully and get it headed in that right direction, if i get a hankering i might try to knock out that starcraft mission, but i plan on doing battletanx global assault and work on forsaken, which is coming along, and then wrasslin'.

• Like 1

Nice job lately guys, it's awesome to see that completed number spike up so much. 👍

Got another one done today: Re-Volt. Not a bad little racer, but the unexpected difficulty spike kicked my ass. The same deal as Nugfish with Mickey's Speedway, from the sounds of it. 😆 I actually finished the first three cups in a few hours with no sweat, but got gatekept by the final cup for the last week or so. Once you commit the final tracks to memory it becomes easier, but damn, I'm going to be seeing little RC cars every time I close my eyes for the foreseeable future.

20230228_000659.jpg

• Like 8

Officially over halfway through Quest 64. Towards the end of the game the combat gets a little repetitive, but overall I retract my previous statements - I'm enjoying this way more than I remember it as a kid. I don't get why this game gets so much hate?

In between Quest sessions I've also been playing some Rugrats Scavenger Hunt. I've beaten two of the three levels but I swear the AI on this game cheats. Hopefully I'll have the third done soon, because this game is the definition of shit. It does make for a phenomenal drunk party game with friends though! 😆

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:20 AM, KokiriChild said:

Officially over halfway through Quest 64. Towards the end of the game the combat gets a little repetitive, but overall I retract my previous statements - I'm enjoying this way more than I remember it as a kid. I don't get why this game gets so much hate?

I think it mostly owes its notoriety due to N64 owners being so starved for JRPGs, Quest 64 being the first the console got and one of like 4 that ever made it outside Japan, in a time when western interest in the genre was exploding in the aftermath of FFVII, so people were hoping the game would give the N64 a great JRPG too, and...well, the game may not have quite been abysmal, but in a lot of ways it's below average for JRPGs of its era and was not really good enough to hold up when put up against any real expectations. I'm sure there are way worse N64 games but most of the ones that don't involve flying through rings or being made John Romero's bitch have kind of been forgotten or were never well-known in the first place and JRPG fans in particular can hold a grudge against the games that burn them.

Editorials Team · Posted

Yeah I mean, what year was it?  1998?  The same year Square alone put out Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, and PC was seeing Baldur's Gate and Fallout 2?  In the shadow of Ocarina of Time?

That's a rough time to offer mediocrity (or worse).

On 3/1/2023 at 7:20 AM, KokiriChild said:

I don't get why this game gets so much hate?

I played through the game last year, there are comments about it somewhere else here on the board, but I had a great time with it. I gave it a 6 out of 10, when reputation had me imagining it would be a 2 or 3.  It's fairly average. Of course, it doesn't touch most other similar games from that time frame but like Reed said, it was a bad time to put out an average game. On it's own, it's fine and even fun in my opinion.

Oh, absolutely. This game can't come close to anything JRPG related on PlayStation, but my own childhood memories are completely opposite of how I'm feeling now playing the game for the first time in 15+ years, which is a strange sensation.

The strange mechanics I hated as a kid, which the public sentiment has only agreed in its supposed crappy-ness, I find very fresh and fun on this playthrough as an adult. I am having a ton of fun with the mix of turn-based and action combat. I find the octagon movement really interesting as a battle and escape mechanic. There's way too many random encounters but overall I'm enjoying it quite a lot. 

Events Helper · Posted

trying my hand at vigilante 8 right now, reminds me of twisted metal a bit.  not sure how long this game is, but 13 characters......woooo, gonna be a long one, seems fun tho.  I was gonna try starcraft today, still might, but I think I'm stick on vigilante 8 right now.

Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt is finally, finally done. I swear beating 3 computers on each of these levels took more patience than I knew I had. 

Imagine three of the shittiest Mario Party boards you could create, make them have almost zero autonomy for the players, very few options to choose from other than which direction to move, and also it has no minigames, it's just the boards.

They shoot themselves in their own foot any time they try and implement something skill-based or interesting. For example, there is no way to look at the board, which spaces are where, and where each player is located. It's like playing Mario Party through a microscope. On the Reptar candy level, they include "Items" that the player can run into that do things such as banana peels that make a player slide and skip 4 spaces ahead instead of rolling. Only problem is, you can't see the board, so unless you have it memorized there is exactly zero ways to tell which opponent it is optimal to use the item on.

What you're left with is a massive RNG cluster- with some of the absolute worst graphics on the console. This game might as well be called Rugrats Candyland. 

The only three things it has going for it, is that it technically functions correctly with few bugs, has the amazing Rugrats sound font on its OST, and the brutal and unfair nature of the game makes for an excellent drunk party game with friends when you want to change it up. 

As a single player experience, though, this is an easy 1.5/10 for me. Absolute trash. Finally, I can just finish Quest 64. The funniest part is, I LOVED this game as a kid and rented it from Blockbuster probably 10+ times. I honestly think that had to be because I loved the Rugrats TV show so much. 

20230225_220200.jpg20230227_232258.jpg20230303_141250.jpg

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Like 7

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

I put a few hours into Vigilante 8 last year, and really got fed up with the controls. I recall thinking it was tiers below Twisted Metal

im sure it is, but its still kinda cool, it reminded me of it.  I haven't played much twisted metal, but i did as a kid a bit.  

Events Helper · Posted

Playing off and on all day, I am over halfway with vig. 8

It's not a bad game, pretty repetitive obviously.  Still enjoying it, but over the next half, idk 😆.

I'll prolly knockout vig 8 second offense but only after a break from vig 8 haha.

Hopefully I will knock this out in the morning-ish time and I might try some starcraft again and give up.  We shall see on that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just stopped my Quest 64 run for the night. Finished the Dries Desert and I'm about to tackle the cave with the fourth and final elemental boss who holds the Fire Ruby. 

Then I just got one town left with the castle that shall begin the sequence leading up to the three final bosses and the end of the game.

The repetitive nature of the battle system had gotten much worse in this last quarter of the game, and it's officially sliding back down to a mid game for me. Training HP is such a chore, the staff sucks this late in the game.

Still having fun though, and I should be able to do one last push and finish it tomorrow.

• Like 1