IGNORED

Help: Fixing Genuine Pikachu GBA Sp Scratched Top

ProtonX

Needing some ideas and help on this one. I have a genuine GBA SP Pikachu edition with a really scratched top. I don’t want to replace the top with a knock off (genuine ones are a glossy feel and the fakes are a textured matte). Any ideas on how it could be restored or repainted? I searched online and couldn’t find anything. I’ve always wanted one of these and can’t bring myself to spend hundreds for a pristine one.

image.thumb.jpg.bc48e99a673b365f33a0569817b05e4a.jpg

Edited by ProtonX

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you really want it restored, I would say to start looking for and contacting artists with some talent and seeing what they'll quote you to do it.  My best friend's girlfriend makes a living doing that sort of thing with CCG cards, creating "alter" cards with new art (but still legal, since it's still the real deal underneath), so I know there is a market of people out there doing such things.  I'd offer to PM you her info save for the fact that she closed off commissions going forward due to so many people being absolute monsters to deal with (being quoted 4-6 weeks from the start, then emailing every day, if not multiple times a day for updates from the day after they dropped their stuff in the mail, being abusive when the stuff isn't available within a week, etc.).  There are lots of folks doing that type of thing, though, so just poke around on Google, Facebook, etc., searching for something like "alter artist", and you should be able to make contact with someone you'd be happy to have do the job.  Good luck!

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

If you really want it restored, I would say to start looking for and contacting artists with some talent and seeing what they'll quote you to do it.  My best friend's girlfriend makes a living doing that sort of thing with CCG cards, creating "alter" cards with new art (but still legal, since it's still the real deal underneath), so I know there is a market of people out there doing such things.  I'd offer to PM you her info save for the fact that she closed off commissions going forward due to so many people being absolute monsters to deal with (being quoted 4-6 weeks from the start, then emailing every day, if not multiple times a day for updates from the day after they dropped their stuff in the mail, being abusive when the stuff isn't available within a week, etc.).  There are lots of folks doing that type of thing, though, so just poke around on Google, Facebook, etc., searching for something like "alter artist", and you should be able to make contact with someone you'd be happy to have do the job.  Good luck!

I used to do alter MTG cards, I'd charge $50 a pop (10 years ago). Not to say prices don't have a range, but just an example from first hand experience. I know artists who charged more for better work than I ever did. 

9 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I used to do alter MTG cards, I'd charge $50 a pop (10 years ago). Not to say prices don't have a range, but just an example from first hand experience. I know artists who charged more for better work than I ever did. 

My best friend's girlfriend has done some amazing stuff, from just restoring beat-to-crap cards (like part of the coardboard surface is missing, not rubbed off, but torn off, with the inner part showing) to looking exactly as they originally did to expanding existing art to "borderless" versions to adding any and all sorts of characters you could imagine.  If it's not a restoration, her rates typically seemed to be in the range you're talking about, but serious restoration stuff could wind up costing a lot more (but be worth it in the end for more valuable stuff).  Definitely worth it.

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

My best friend's girlfriend has done some amazing stuff, from just restoring beat-to-crap cards (like part of the coardboard surface is missing, not rubbed off, but torn off, with the inner part showing) to looking exactly as they originally did to expanding existing art to "borderless" versions to adding any and all sorts of characters you could imagine.  If it's not a restoration, her rates typically seemed to be in the range you're talking about, but serious restoration stuff could wind up costing a lot more (but be worth it in the end for more valuable stuff).  Definitely worth it.

My only flag would be that card alters and a plastic case alter/restoration require different tools and even skills, considering that the Pikachu face needs to be very accurately round. 

Realistically it's a type of printing, not painting, which would need to be done in this instance. Paint would come off with use very easily at least without a top coat (can be matte or gloss), and with or without, it's gonna change the feel of the console. 

I agree- I was hoping for some ideas for a printing option. That would be closest to what was originally there.

The only other option I could think of was creating stencils that overlay for painting. One for red, one for black and one for white. However, I don’t have the ability to make those either. Although I could envision there being a market for someone to buy and repaint these. So many of the genuine ones look really bad.

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

My only flag would be that card alters and a plastic case alter/restoration require different tools and even skills, considering that the Pikachu face needs to be very accurately round.

Oh, no doubt there, but I think it can come down to the talent and care of the artist involved versus being written off as not feasible unless you're using the same method as it was originally done.

For example, find the issues with these:

spacer.png

I imagine the surface of the unit would need to be prepared in some way for the paint to stick, or perhaps a different type of paint used in order to adhere, but a sufficiently skilled and talented artist would most likely be able to put the comparatively very basic Pikachu face back on that top case without issue, then seal it in with some sort of appropriate clear lacquer to keep it from chipping, peeling, etc.

Perhaps there are folks out there who could re-print the art directly back into the case, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge at this point, so I'll bow out on that facet.

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Oh, no doubt there, but I think it can come down to the talent and care of the artist involved versus being written off as not feasible unless you're using the same method as it was originally done.

For example, find the issues with these:

spacer.png

I imagine the surface of the unit would need to be prepared in some way for the paint to stick, or perhaps a different type of paint used in order to adhere, but a sufficiently skilled and talented artist would most likely be able to put the comparatively very basic Pikachu face back on that top case without issue, then seal it in with some sort of appropriate clear lacquer to keep it from chipping, peeling, etc.

Perhaps there are folks out there who could re-print the art directly back into the case, but that's beyond the scope of my knowledge at this point, so I'll bow out on that facet.

Often with full-card alters like those you will actually strip away a bit to start, and add on a primer layer. Typically also after the finish (matte/glossy), the cards go into a plastic sleeve to protect further from damage to the art. 

imagine that anyone altering the Pikachu faceplate would actually start with sanding it down for a fresh start and use a stencil; realistically it's be sanded and then spray-painted using stencils and very thin paint like painting a miniature. I painted this recently as an example:

IMG_20221026_210322.jpg

You use acrylics watered way the heck down so you don't lose the details in the model, and I assume you'd need to do basically the same w/ the console - the original print on the faceplate is incredibly thin because it is just that - a print.