IGNORED

The [NOT SO] Definitive Top 50 N64 Games

ThePhleo

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

I tried to eliminate as much as that as possible. If you look at the raw data you can see I removed repros, labels, custom cases, etc. from search results 

So a game is artificially said to be LESS popular if someone bought a bootleg of it??

• Wow! 1

45 minutes ago, 360collector said:

Things can get pretty wild when the N64 is disrespected

Wait until @OptOut reads this thread! 😆

36 minutes ago, Strange said:

I’ve never been more conflicted over a console than the N64. It’s got some of my most beloved gaming memories and favorite games but after that it just drops off and I do not have much reverence for the library as a whole. I love the system, but I dislike the library at the same time. It’s so weird.

'Tis the beauty of the N64 library haha. The highs, the lows, the awful fog on some games, I wouldn't have it any other way 🤣.

• Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted

The thing I always think whenever I see how popular video games are on ebay, like, expensive authentic copies and obscure variants etc, is "who are all these people and why aren't they on VGS??" Look at the lower end of the list. Or consider the Bottom 100. There are hundreds of people paying for physical copies of these games ON PURPOSE. Even huge N64 fans hesitate to pay money for Elmo's Number Journey. But there are people buying them. Who are they??

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Isnt “definitive” kind of misleading? 

Its based on a specific data set that may or may not be accurate for sales on a specific site. Its not even an opinion. 

Consider it an embellishment!

Nothing can possibly be definitive when it comes to human opinion. But I’m sure if I polled all 8,000,000,000 people on the planet about what their top 50 N64 games are, the list wouldn’t look radically different 😉

Events Helper · Posted
22 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'd be VERY curious to see this list. I can maybe get to like.... 70....

fuuuuuuuuuug, this might be me wishing i didnt say this, but if @Reed Rothchild really wants, i can play all the games and figure it out 😉  lol

Edit:  the question is.......would anyone be interested in the ramblins of a certain Jeeve's for me to do this?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Do It GIF

challenge accepted??????!!!!!!  @Reed Rothchild is there any room for n64 on your site?  I must know before i start, can you edit n64 into the list you created, i.e. add a separate section for it?  I will do so, reluctantly agreeing as i am drinking some vodka.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'd be VERY curious to see this list. I can maybe get to like.... 70....

Well my version of good might not match up with yours because I’ve discovered since been on this site that I am way more lenient on what I consider a good game vs what the people on here think is a good game haha.

For example, besides about 5-6 of those games on the top 50 I’ve played to some degree and have thought they were good games.

I’d also include most of the car racing games on the N64, whereas a lot of people hate racing games. I also enjoyed some of NFL and hockey games on the system.

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

fuuuuuuuuuug, this might be me wishing i didnt say this, but if @Reed Rothchild really wants, i can play all the games and figure it out 😉  lol

Edit:  the question is.......would anyone be interested in the ramblins of a certain Jeeve's for me to do this?

I’d love to see this epic undertaking!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brickman said:

I’d also include most of the car racing games on the N64, whereas a lot of people hate racing games.

See for me the key is objectively good. So if someone hates racing games, then they can't really have a say in which ones are good on the system. I feel like someone ranking all of these would need to be able to review each game objectively, controls, gameplay, etc. You might not care for it but is it actually a good game? I think people can discern that nowadays.

Like I was never THAT into Goldeneye but I understand why it's so popular and why people love it. If I did a ranking, it'd be high on my list just because I have an understanding that it is a great game and why people love it.

Editorials Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Jeevan said:

challenge accepted??????!!!!!!  @Reed Rothchild is there any room for n64 on your site?  I must know before i start, can you edit n64 into the list you created, i.e. add a separate section for it?  I will do so, reluctantly agreeing as i am drinking some vodka.........

I do have a domain that the SNES stuff is supposed to eventually be a subsection of...

But I did all of my html/css/js raw... I don't use any prebuilt software.  You'd have to use all of the classes and attributes that I defined...

And it took me a decade plus of heavy play, and it took me 5 years to do the writeups...

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted

@Reed Rothchild uh, i'll just, uh, do the blog thing here for now and if you so choose that this would be something you would include on a site, then maybe we can collaborate on it for sure.  I will have to start a thing for it, ill get it all thought about and squared away, i wouldn't wanna encroach on the site in anyway, but be more of a thing for folks to read like you did.  We shall see what i can brainstorm and come up with.

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm game to work with you on it though.  Not the actual writing or N64 playing.  That's all on you.

And I really have to stress how long this stuff takes.  Big undertaking.

Seconded. I've been building a ranked list of all Game Boy games, and I'm not even halfway done. And these are Game Boy games. I can't even comprehend how much time Reed put into the full SNES rankings.

Not that you couldn't do it or anything @Jeevan, just making sure you know that it's not just a "okay, I think I'll do that" thing. It's a long-term commitment.

If there were other people who wanted to help, though, I have a few ideas about crowdsourcing the effort.

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

@Reed Rothchild uh, i'll just, uh, do the blog thing here for now and if you so choose that this would be something you would include on a site, then maybe we can collaborate on it for sure.  I will have to start a thing for it, ill get it all thought about and squared away, i wouldn't wanna encroach on the site in anyway, but be more of a thing for folks to read like you did.  We shall see what i can brainstorm and come up with.

Dope

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, Splain said:

Seconded. I've been building a ranked list of all Game Boy games, and I'm not even halfway done. And these are Game Boy games. I can't even comprehend how much time Reed put into the full SNES rankings.

Not that you couldn't do it or anything @Jeevan, just making sure you know that it's not just a "okay, I think I'll do that" thing. It's a long-term commitment.

If there were other people who wanted to help, though, I have a few ideas about crowdsourcing the effort.

fully understood, i will get some ideas thrown around and start a group like reed did and all that.  I mean, i have played quite a few of the games over the years, but i will have to brush up on some of them for sure.  Should be interesting to see how it compares to others 😆 and the list that is on this thread for the "raw" data.

See how many people i can piss off with MM and OOT not making the top 5 😆.  Or maybe i will change my mind, who knows.........I haven't played them since they released haha.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

fully understood, i will get some ideas thrown around and start a group like reed did and all that.  I mean, i have played quite a few of the games over the years, but i will have to brush up on some of them for sure.  Should be interesting to see how it compares to others 😆 and the list that is on this thread for the "raw" data.

See how many people i can piss off with MM and OOT not making the top 5 😆.  Or maybe i will change my mind, who knows.........I haven't played them since they released haha.

I mean the proper thing is to put MM above OOT because that’s the right thing to do 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

Graphics Team · Posted

I think the most popular titles of a given system retain their status in-part from a feedback loop of transient collectors.

1 ) Someone is interested in getting into the N64.
2 ) They watch a YouTube "Top X" list of N64 titles.
3 ) They buy those specific titles.
4 ) For various reasons, they lose interest before diving any deeper into the library.
5 ) They sell those games, inflating the rate of circulation of those "top games".
6 ) Repeat.

At least ... this was my experience with the N64.

-CasualCart

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
25 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

I think the most popular titles of a given system retain their status in-part from a feedback loop of transient collectors.

1 ) Someone is interested in getting into the N64.
2 ) They watch a YouTube "Top X" list of N64 titles.
3 ) They buy those specific titles.
4 ) For various reasons, they lose interest before diving any deeper into the library.
5 ) They sell those games, inflating the rate of circulation of those "top games".
6 ) Repeat.

At least ... this was my experience with the N64.

-CasualCart

don't worry, I'll have you a list of top tier games in about a decade or so.....