IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got solid times across the board already, but I was working on cutting down my Special Circuit times over the weekend. I'll probably revisit my World Circuit times next. I think @mbd39 is really good at this too. So you have something to shoot for, here are my current personal best times for the boxers you posted.

Piston Hurricane - 6.20 seconds

Dragon Chan - 8.84 seconds

Masked Muscle - 9.98 seconds

For what it's worth, the highest time I have for anyone is Bear Hugger at 16.98 seconds.

Yeah, here are my best times. This was all done with emulator lag too.

MSB5bH1.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I will have to check mine against yours later. Which one was the toughest for you to get?

Hmmm... Sandman, maybe. To beat him that fast requires some extremely precise timing for the third knockdown.

I wish I could've gotten Macho and Mad Clown lower.

The Bruisers are surprisingly easy to beat fast compared to some of the earlier guys.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Hmmm... Sandman, maybe. To beat him that fast requires some extremely precise timing for the third knockdown.

I wish I could've gotten Macho and Mad Clown lower.

The Bruisers are surprisingly easy to beat fast compared to some of the earlier guys.

Depends on how low you get them. I got my Nick Bruiser time down to 8.98 seconds and that was really tough. I think my Mr. Sandman time is under 15 seconds too. My Super Macho Man and Mad Clown times are similiar from what I remember. It seems that they have somewhat random patterns that makes things difficult.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Depends on how low you get them. I got my Nick Bruiser time down to 8.98 seconds and that was really tough. I think my Mr. Sandman time is under 10 seconds too. My Super Macho Man and Mad Clown times are similiar from what I remember. It seems that they have somewhat random patterns that makes things difficult.

I checked and the WR for Mr. Sandman is like '13"13. It's probably impossible to beat him in under 13 seconds.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, mbd39 said:

I checked and the WR for Mr. Sandman is like '13"13. It's probably impossible to beat him in under 13 seconds.

I meant 15 and I even got that wrong since I'm at 13.33 seconds. Here's what I've got for the rest. Now @NESfiend has some times to shoot for.

20221218_203140.jpg

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

MSB5bH1.jpg

Our times are really close on most of these. Do you play for score any? My high scores all came from playing normally. I think @rdrunner has all of the TG high score records. Mine aren't even close.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Our times are really close on most of these. Do you play for score any? My high scores all came from playing normally. I think @rdrunner has all of the TG high score records. Mine aren't even close.

Serious high score runs are quite tedious from what I've seen. Fastest times is where it's at.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Serious high score runs are quite tedious from what I've seen. Fastest times is where it's at.

I may try to play for score when I get all my times down. I got my Bear Hugger time down to 15.37, Mad Clown to 13.92 and Super Macho Man to 15.79 seconds, so that's probably about as good as I'm going to do. Beating every boxer in the game in 15 seconds or less isn't bad.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I may try to play for score when I get all my times down. I got my Bear Hugger time down to 15.37, Mad Clown to 13.92 and Super Macho Man to 15.79 seconds, so that's probably about as good as I'm going to do. Beating every boxer in the game in 15 seconds or less isn't bad.

The WR for Bear Hugger is '12"92 which is insane.

12 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I was actually ahead of the record pace a few times after two knockdowns, but 13.33 seconds is the best I've gotten so far.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 12/12/2022 at 7:39 PM, mbd39 said:

The WR for Bear Hugger is '12"92 which is insane.

I guess you watch zallard1's videos too. That guy is just on another level when it comes to Punch Out. I've used several of his strategies, but I can't touch his times. The TG record for Nick Bruiser is 8.40 (I came close when I got my 8.98, but I mistimed the second uppercut), but he did it in 7.52 seconds. 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess you watch zallard1's videos too. That guy is just on another level when it comes to Punch Out. I've used several of his strategies, but I can't touch his times. The TG record for Nick Bruiser is 8.40 (I came close when I got my 8.98, but I mistimed the second uppercut), but he did it in 7.52 seconds. 

Did you see the speedrun where he beat both Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out simultaneously with one controller? That was crazy. Plus all of his blindfolded runs. He must be the best Punch-Out player ever. Him and Matt Turk.

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Did you see the speedrun where he beat both Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and Super Punch-Out simultaneously with one controller? That was crazy. Plus all of his blindfolded runs. He must be the best Punch-Out player ever. Him and Matt Turk.

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday when I was watching his Punch Out videos. That's just unbelievable. I like the Punch Out series, but I can't even imagine putting that much time into one game to get that good.

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday when I was watching his Punch Out videos. That's just unbelievable. I like the Punch Out series, but I can't even imagine putting that much time into one game to get that good.

I've put an embarrassing amount of time into Tetris and Marble Madness. More so Tetris though, mostly because it's so addictive.

37 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I've put an embarrassing amount of time into Tetris and Marble Madness. More so Tetris though, mostly because it's so addictive.

I've done that with Super Punch Out. Given how many resets are involved when something doesn't go right, it's not impossible to fight the same opponent 100 times in an hour. I've gotten my times down to the point where I'm lucky if I can knock off .1 seconds over what I've got posted. I typically don't focus that much effort on one game. I prefer to get good at as many games as I can than try to be masterful at one or two. I just think it's more fun to mix things up, but I certainly admire those people that are dedicated to becoming the absolute best at something.

I've done that with Super Punch Out. Given how many resets are involved when something doesn't go right, it's not impossible to fight the same opponent 100 times in an hour. I've gotten my times down to the point where I'm lucky if I can knock off .1 seconds over what I've got posted. I typically don't focus that much effort on one game. I prefer to get good at as many games as I can than try to be masterful at one or two. I just think it's more fun to mix things up, but I certainly admire those people that are dedicated to becoming the absolute best at something.

Did you ever try Mike Tyson's Punch-Out speedrunning? I never got into that. But Super Punch-Out's time trial mode makes it very inviting to try to beat everyone as fast as possible.

27 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Did you ever try Mike Tyson's Punch-Out speedrunning? I never got into that. But Super Punch-Out's time trial mode makes it very inviting to try to beat everyone as fast as possible.

Yeah. I've won the weekly contest before, but we usually did the same few boxers with Tyson being optional. I haven't put as much time into it as Super Punch Out though since the time attack mode does make it much easier. Here are my times from the 2015 contest.

Overall Time - 4:33:89
Glass Joe - 42:00
Von Kaiser - 38:61
Don Flamenco (Major Circuit) - 14.99
King Hippo - 39:48
Piston Honda (World Circuit) - 1:00:99
Super Macho Man - 1:17:82
Bonus: Mike Tyson - 2:35 (Round 1)

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 12/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, mbd39 said:

I can't believe I pulled this off. I was only .06 seconds off the world record.

20221215_183717.jpg.74c0c1e553e0fdf2ce8ed3aa17ae0fa1.jpg

• Wow! 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, mbd39 said:

Is there another/better record site besides Twin Galaxies? There are way better Super Punch Out times out there than what the TG records are. The TG record for Nick Bruiser is 8.4 seconds, when obviously 7.5 is possible. I've tried probably 100+ times to see if I could improve on my 7.58, but getting that was apparently a miracle since the description in zallard1's video says there's only a 3.4% chance of getting the necessary pattern assuming that you can even pull off the two frame perfect punches to get him dizzy.

Is there another/better record site besides Twin Galaxies? There are way better Super Punch Out times out there than what the TG records are. The TG record for Nick Bruiser is 8.4 seconds, when obviously 7.5 is possible. I've tried probably 100+ times to see if I could improve on my 7.58, but getting that was apparently a miracle since the description in zallard1's video says there's only a 3.4% chance of getting the necessary pattern assuming that you can even pull off the two frame perfect punches to get him dizzy.

All of the Super Punch-Out fastest times should be on speedrun.com and Youtube.

On 12/16/2022 at 2:31 PM, mbd39 said:

All of the Super Punch-Out fastest times should be on speedrun.com and Youtube.

I've still been working on my times. I got my Rick Bruiser time down to 10.81, but I can't seem to do any better. I've got the first knockdown on Nick at a perfect 5.37 four times now, but I couldn't get the pattern where you can land the two uppercuts for the second knockdown. I may have been able to tie the record when I got the 7.58, but I used an uppercut for the first knockdown instead of a hook and that might have cost me the .06 seconds since the hook is slightly faster.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:38 AM, mbd39 said:

I've been working on improving my times over the weekend and I think they are about as low as I'm going to get them. I'll probably move on to playing something else now, but here's what I ended up with.

20221218_203140.jpg.fc021080e47c38027236434d0a6f50cd.jpg

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned