IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals

BeaIank

Tetris is still the game that I play most just for fun. But I also tried looping Life Force the other day. I game over'd on the first level of loop 3, but I also lost a bunch of lives in loop 2 because I couldn't quite recover from dying near the end of level 4. I'd like to clear three loops which shouldn't be too bad. Game definitely gets harder though.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm trying to motivate myself to even play a game.  I'm at 61 new NES/Famicom completions on the year, which means I'm 15 away from beating @Dr. Morbis's all-time best year, but I haven't played anything NES since round 1, and haven't played a game since beating Brigandine for the Playstation completion thread.  I barely want to get out of bed these days.

15 games in 25 days is a tall order indeed.  Maybe you could beat a bunch of easies.  Like say you play a dozen or so games that are "Puss N Boots" easy and then just put a few tougher chews on top. ??

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

What am I supposed to play tonight when my kids go down? Ive apparently become addicted to the guidance. 

What are the other regulars doing

@Dr. Morbis @docile tapeworm @Bearcat-Doug @PII @mbd39

@the_wizard_666 @Krunch

Switching up to another system? Time to start an RPG? Going cold turkey on gaming for a while?

I started an RPG the day after I was done my final round scores (Madara on Famicom on Thursday) but I actually finished it on Sunday, so I played through an entire 30 hour RPG while the last round of the tournament was in progress.   Next I'm planning on playing Destiny of an Emperor 2, another RPG, since they're easier to get through when you don't have NES weekly games on the go...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm trying to motivate myself to even play a game.  I'm at 61 new NES/Famicom completions on the year, which means I'm 15 away from beating @Dr. Morbis's all-time best year, but I haven't played anything NES since round 1, and haven't played a game since beating Brigandine for the Playstation completion thread.  I barely want to get out of bed these days.

You'll never beat me... 😛

And what's all this not wanting to get out of bed shit?  With your new business and your new lady and saving up for a house, the sky's the limit for what the future holds for old Wizzy McWizzerson... 🙂

13 minutes ago, PII said:

15 games in 25 days is a tall order indeed.  Maybe you could beat a bunch of easies.  Like say you play a dozen or so games that are "Puss N Boots" easy and then just put a few tougher chews on top. ??

FYI, the last level of Puss 'N Boots is not easy!  It took me quite a few tries to get through.  It's one of the biggest difficulty curves I've ever seen in a NES game: all the levels leading up to the last one are made for like a 5-year-old to get through, then the last level punches you right in the nuts.

Oh, and he's already done all the Sesame Street games and other kiddy stuff, I believe...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

FYI, the last level of Puss 'N Boots is not easy!  It took me quite a few tries to get through.  It's one of the biggest difficulty curves I've ever seen in a NES game: all the levels leading up to the last one are made for like a 5-year-old to get through, then the last level punches you right in the nuts.

Oh, and he's already done all the Sesame Street games and other kiddy stuff, I believe...

So, somebody over at Electro-Brain hates children?  

Scooby Doo GIF - Scooby Doo Running GIFs
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I go back to the games I enjoy that I haven’t been able to play as much as I like. I put in adventure island today. 

That game was popular in my neighborhood growing up. I didnt have a copy but played it with neighbors. Revisited it years later as an adult trying to beat all my childhood games. Kicked. My. Ass. Fun game but it gets really hard pretty quick. 

• Like 1

I play lots of Switch so I'm gonna keep doing that.  My wife and I have pretty much been playing Mario Party Superstars nonstop but theres lots of good stuff with high replay value so I just keep going back to it.  It would be nice to play some SNES favorites over the holidays especially Mario RPG maybe smw & dkc2 on co-op as well.  And more Gamecube, we've been playing that too, Gamecube has lots of oddball titles.  Game boy, N64, really anything - lots of stuff to replay and with a new appreciation I'm finding.  Cold-ass winter for the next few months makes it a good time to play at least

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Which one first? Beat em up?

I probably won't do a lot of gaming since I do like to take a break this time of the year from time in front of the TV and online to enjoy the holiday season, but I'll likely just revisit some old favorites when I get in the mood to pick up a controller.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

@NESfiend Adventure island is one I’ve never been able to clear so it’s at the top of the list for me to revisit in that regard. I threw in ninja gaiden yesterday too.

If your looking for a target on Skyhawk 1LC and 1,000,000 points is a feel good run for me.

You can beat Ninja Gaiden III on life, but you can't clear Adventure Island? I had Adventure Island as a kid and played it a ton, so I guess it just seems easier to me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You can beat Ninja Gaiden III on life, but you can't clear Adventure Island? I had Adventure Island as a kid and played it a ton, so I guess it just seems easier to me.

There's nothing in Ninja Gaiden III that comes close to being as hard as the later levels in Adventure Island. Like the ridiculous amount of enemies in 8-2 or that precision jump involving the bat in 8-3 that needs to be perfect. Not to mention the ice levels. God help you if you happen to lose your weapon in 8-4. I think that AI is even harder than Battletoads, it just has infinite continues so you can keep trying. I beat AI once using a bunch of continues and never felt the need to attempt that again.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

There's nothing in Ninja Gaiden III that comes close to being as hard as the later levels in Adventure Island. Like the ridiculous amount of enemies in 8-2 or that precision jump involving the bat in 8-3 that needs to be perfect. Not to mention the ice levels. God help you if you happen to lose your weapon in 8-4. I think that AI is even harder than Battletoads, it just has infinite continues so you can keep trying. I beat AI once using a bunch of continues and never felt the need to attempt that again.

NGIII and Battletoads both give me all kinds of trouble. I could beat Adventure Island when I was a kid and never considered it to be hard. I guess it's just repetition. I owned Adventure Island so I played it constantly. I only rented NGIII and Battletoads. I found them to be ridiculously difficult so I never played them again until many years later. I cleared both eventually and had no real desire to play either of them again.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

True! 8-2 and 8-4.

8-2 is the hardest level in the game probably.

8-3 has that one crazy hard jump right at the end that is maybe the toughest single spot in the game, but the hardest level in it's entirety if you don't have the axe is a close call between 8-2 and 8-4 ...

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I worked on my Super Punch Out!! times over the weekend. I was able to cut a few down, which was surprising since I've had them for years. 

This sounds like fun. I think Im going to revisit that one tonight while I have an hour. 

Edit: I beat one by two tenths of a second lol. You got that beat doug? Felt like a pretty pristine run

Second edit: thought that second pic would be good enough for a record, but I apparently did much better at some point.

Third edit: Got another record on masked muscle and this time I didnt think it was a great run. Guessing your times are much better lol. 

20221211_224814.jpg

20221211_230342.jpg

20221211_230844.jpg

Edited by NESfiend

8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

This sounds like fun. I think Im going to revisit that one tonight while I have an hour. 

Edit: I beat one by two tenths of a second lol. You got that beat doug? Felt like a pretty pristine run

Second edit: thought that second pic would be good enough for a record, but I apparently did much better at some point.

Third edit: Got another record on masked muscle and this time I didnt think it was a great run. Guessing your times are much better lol. 

20221211_224814.jpg

20221211_230342.jpg

20221211_230844.jpg

I've got solid times across the board already, but I was working on cutting down my Special Circuit times over the weekend. I'll probably revisit my World Circuit times next. I think @mbd39 is really good at this too. So you have something to shoot for, here are my current personal best times for the boxers you posted.

Piston Hurricane - 6.20 seconds

Dragon Chan - 8.84 seconds

Masked Muscle - 9.98 seconds

For what it's worth, the highest time I have for anyone is Bear Hugger at 16.98 seconds.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug