IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals

BeaIank

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

Great score, man!  I knew you had one in the chamber after your photo of the title screen... 😉   You definitely got me beat, but I stopped playing both these games on Wednesday... 😛

thank you. I actually blew a 70k+ score on that run 😩

I’ve always been a fan of this port. Wampson and chairy are really good at this game.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm wondering about Skinny and PII, and haven't heard from mbd in a while.  I'm assuming Wiz and Jamesrobot are no-shows...

Looks like no updates except from Skinny.  8:57 as im starting to write this.  I am totally fine with the standings as they are if thats whats to be.  @NESfiend I put in some time at the end but just couldnt quite steal the silver (thought it was gold until I checked just now).  Nicely played.  I could have done better on the -4 levels, seems like that has the highest ceiling.

• Like 1

Just now, PII said:

Nice Job Morbo  ¡You Da Man!

..and very impressive Kong-ing Mr. Worm.

Even though the minimums were supposed to seperate the men from the boys, I feel like they were a large contributing factor in the lack of score submissions overall... but I guess: mission accomplished?  🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And that's all she wrote!  😛

If I'm not mistaken, I think Nesfiend will end up in second place, just edging out Skinny...

Did I get third again?

@Reed Rothchild “third place Prince”

Three 3rd place finishes in the tournaments now. It’s like the bluest balls you can have it’s painful.

6 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Damn that's a great score.  Well done to the tapewom

Did you notice there is no bonus after stage four? I would just milk the clock and hope the damn snatch traps would go down the chains with the fruit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

Did I get third again?

Three 3rd place finishes in the tournaments now. It’s like the bluest balls you can have it’s painful.

Yeah I think you got third with 15 points on two victories and Nesfiend got like 17 points...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Did I get third again?

Did you notice there is no bonus after stage four? I would just milk the clock and hope the damn snatch traps would go down the chains with the fruit.

I never noticed that.  Damn, guess I just assumed you get the bonus.   I would have then just run out the clock and made sure to get both at least double and try for triples.  Those damn crocs just do not behave

• Like 1

You had four wins?

I had two 

and key lime had one?

I only had three wins, but I also eased up on the gas after the huge head start.

And I was trying to calculate points in my head, and I think Krunch may have tied you for third, but you'd win on the tie-break of having more wins...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You're probably right, since I was winging it in my head, in which case it would be two way tie for second maybe???

Damn.  If we have to tie from my perspective I was too damn greedy/rushed to put a proper placeholder up for QBert, is what it'll come down to for me.  Other than maybe being able to do better on Dk jr., or getting on the board for Batman Returns.

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Damn.  If we have to tie from my perspective I was too damn greedy/rushed to put a proper placeholder up for QBert, is what it'll come down to for me.  Other than maybe being able to do better on Dk jr., or getting on the board for Batman Returns.

Ya I was one hit away from defeating the organ grander week one. Would have got me 3 or 2 points there.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

I think for everyone except myself it comes down to not meeting the minimums (whether it's lack of ability or apathy) on all six games... 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Krunch said:

I think I could have gotten a qbert score had I been able to get my damn NES going in FL. I was getting to level 3 consistently already tues night and figuring it out. Ill take a tie for silver if Im counting right!

That codename viper challenge was straight up awesome. Starting thurs night and getting obsessed with dk jr I didnt get time to really try til today. I would have loved to have a few days at that. 

@BeaIank, i think the format was awesome getting everyone to play every genre. I would have been more in without a week gap no NES. I do think 2 games a week is a grueling. We could extend that time. We play for the tourney all year. We could make it two games in 2 weeks or even 10 days and make it an even month. And again, love the short format for quick runs and optimizing. Nicely done!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Even though the minimums were supposed to seperate the men from the boys, I feel like they were a large contributing factor in the lack of score submissions overall... but I guess: mission accomplished?  🤷‍♂️

Tough minimums def. belong in a tournament but you are probably right regardless.

@BeaIank@guillavoie  Suggestion For Future Tournament:

One game a day for a week.  Announce the games at the beginning of the break week so everyone has time to obtain any carts or roms they need but no rules released until the tournament actually begins.  So everyone has one day to play and post for the first game, and 2 days to play and post for the 2nd game and so on.  

Additionally it might be cool to temporarily separate Action & Platforming and add Racing for a total of 8 genres over 8 days = Sunday - Sunday.

I found it just a bit fatiguing to fully entertain another 3 weeks of 2 games a piece after going all out for 30 weeks which is what got me thinking about this, but I also think a shorter faster do or die tournament over a single week could prove to be a very fun, very high energy ordeal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PII said:

I found it just a bit fatiguing to fully entertain another 3 weeks of 2 games a piece after going all out for 30 weeks

That's why I eased off the throttle in the last month and a half of the regular season; once it was clear you were going full tilt and had the regular season title in the bag, I just bided my time for the tourney.  Then I went all out guns-a-blazing in the first round and got two wins, which afforded me the opportunity to ease up a little.  This final week I went really hard from Monday to Wednesday, and once I beat the Code Name: Viper challenge, I was done for good because I knew very few - if any - contestants would be able to get from Area 5 to 8 on the highest difficulty on one credit; that was as brutal a challenge as I've seen in these NES weekly's....

• Like 2

Y’all know I can’t do two games a week 😂

I’ve seen all different tourney formats in the years I’ve been participating. It’s a tough ask to figure out a really good one. Different genres alone will lift some players while knocking others out. Honestly though the cream always rises to the top.

my favorite format is the NCAA basketball style.

@Dr. Morbis I can never play rush n attack again. No death low score. Fucking melted my brain that week. I got through it but every time I see that game i get that feeling like the first time you get real sick off goldshlager or jager when you were like 15 and get goes bumps and the quick shiver everytime you see/smell it…..

• Haha 4

my favorite format is the NCAA basketball style.

That's my favourite too: the seeded bracket that makes your relative performance in the regular season actually matter, while at the same time giving everyone a fair 50/50 chance of getting through each round since you only have to beat one guy, so you never feel like you're out.  The way this year's tourney went, it was a foregone conclusion heading into the final round, so majorly anticlimactic, which is the opposite of what you would want to see...

• Like 2