Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The Code Name Viper challenge is brutal. Been trying for days and haven't been able to pass level 5.

I'm not too good at DKjr either.

 

Is Code Name: Viper worth trying? I've never played it as far as I know. I really like DK and DK Jr. I never cared for DK3 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You're going to win anyway, but that DK Jr score could use some work. 🤣

Well nothing's guaranteed when the points are doubled in the last round, but I think I can do better than that... 😉

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Hopefully the tournaments go back to traditional format of one game a week, especially if they are going to continue running through Thanksgiving week.

Two games a week is tough, but the weird part to me is not eliminating people between rounds; I know it's meant to stimulate participation, but people who don't pick up points in early rounds are even less inclined to try in later rounds since they feel like they're already out, so you end up with a scoreboard filled with apathetic players.  I would just do traditional eliminations so that you have the best four (or whatever) players in the Grand Final, so they're all trying and all have a chance to win...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well nothing's guaranteed when the points are doubled in the last round, but I think I can do better than that... 😉

Two games a week is tough, but the weird part to me is not eliminating people between rounds; I know it's meant to stimulate participation, but people who don't pick up points in early rounds are even less inclined to try in later rounds since they feel like they're already out, so you end up with a scoreboard filled with apathetic players.  I would just do traditional eliminations so that you have the best four (or whatever) players in the Grand Final, so they're all trying and all have a chance to win...

That's a good point. Anyone that gets a 0 in the first round and feels like they might struggle in the second round is probably unlikely to even try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I actually have been trying pretty hard with Code Name Viper. But man this is evil. Good pick for finals.

 

Yeah, that whole game is: move forward then duck and shoot, rinse, repeat.  The positive side of having this challenge is that it forced me to beat the game on the hardest difficulty.  I'd only ever beaten it on Normal mode, but knowing I had to play the last half of the game on 2nd Quest Hard mode, I just started from Area 1 and played through the whole game on 2nd Quest Hard using continues, and once I had it in the bag for my personal list - along with a bunch of practice for this challenge - then I put in the Area 5 password and started working on actually getting a score for this week.  But you're right, it's a pretty brutal challenge...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, that whole game is: move forward then duck and shoot, rinse, repeat.  The positive side of having this challenge is that it forced me to beat the game on the hardest difficulty.  I'd only ever beaten it on Normal mode, but knowing I had to play the last half of the game on 2nd Quest Hard mode, I just started from Area 1 and played through the whole game on 2nd Quest Hard using continues, and once I had it in the bag for my personal list - along with a bunch of practice for this challenge - then I put in the Area 5 password and started working on actually getting a score for this week.  But you're right, it's a pretty brutal challenge...

The platforming is kind of wonky as well. Like accidentally falling off a small platform when trying to adjust my position or accidentally overshooting when trying to land on another small platform.

 

Edited by mbd39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

One win out of six games is still way better than the first round last year when it seems like you didn't even play until the last day and only got past the first screen. 😂

One win out of four games. Last year that game pissed me off I couldn’t enter the cave or something I had a bunch of knives or something and unloaded them all into one skeleton who wouldn’t die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

One win out of four games. Last year that game pissed me off I couldn’t enter the cave or something I had a bunch of knives or something and unloaded them all into one skeleton who wouldn’t die.

I had to play Challenger too. You had to get some random knife power up to get past the skeletons so you could go into the caves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That puts you on a pace for 80k, so there should be some really good scores tonight. Even 70k would be really impressive.

You cant score like that without good rng and resets as far as I know. After 1-1, you are stuck with the rng you get and there arent many points available stage 1-2. I dont think anything near 80k is possible, but we will see I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You cant score like that without good rng and resets as far as I know. After 1-1, you are stuck with the rng you get and there arent many points available stage 1-2. I dont think anything near 80k is possible, but we will see I guess. 

Yeah, the second board has a set amount of points you can get for hitting two birds with fruits, knocking down the third fruit and moving on (unless maybe you could jump a ton of birds at the top, but I never tried that).  The third board you could jump over sparks a lot if you really cared and the final board all you can do is try double bird hits with the fruits, so I'm thinking 70k would be the limit for regular dudes, if someone were to spend hours and hours of practice on it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
On 12/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Well nothing's guaranteed when the points are doubled in the last round, but I think I can do better than that... 😉

Two games a week is tough, but the weird part to me is not eliminating people between rounds; I know it's meant to stimulate participation, but people who don't pick up points in early rounds are even less inclined to try in later rounds since they feel like they're already out, so you end up with a scoreboard filled with apathetic players.  I would just do traditional eliminations so that you have the best four (or whatever) players in the Grand Final, so they're all trying and all have a chance to win...

The main idea was so that no one would be eliminated because they were handed a bad hand in the form of a genre they aren't actually good at. This was an issue some years ago.
Two games per week also allows us to run through all 6 genres of the contest through the tournament, but they need to have rules that account for shorter runs so that it won't take too much time to get good runs in each game.
Some further study will be needed to improve over this format.

The rules that focus on shorter runs will be used through 2023 to get a better feeling of how to best make them work.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The main idea was so that no one would be eliminated because they were handed a bad hand in the form of a genre they aren't actually good at. 

I appreciate this.  Despite my lack of presence (and ability) I've played all the games so far.  Just can't seem to do well enough given the rules.  I'm close on DK Jr but can't get a perfect couple loops.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Final hour.... I was able to make the requirement for Code Name Viper which honestly I'm thrilled about.  That stage was hard - but not horrible once I put it all together.  Still a bit of time to try to improve DK jr.  Is anyone sniping?

I'm wondering about Skinny and PII, and haven't heard from mbd in a while.  I'm assuming Wiz and Jamesrobot are no-shows...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...