IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Finals

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

And we finally reached the FINALS of our 2022 NES WEEKLY CONTEST TOURNAMENT!

Our 8 valiant players have proved their skills in the beat'em up, sports, shoot 'em up and puzzle games so far.
But the very best will be decided by the genres Action and Arcade!

Our 8 players will have to prove their NES skills to be crowned the 2022 TOURNAMENT CHAMPION!

And here's the games they will have to take on:

Action: Code Name: Viper

• Input the password 132718 to start at Level 5, hard mode, 2nd quest
  • Play till life 0 and make it to the final boss at the end of level 8
  • You cannot play life 0. Once you reach it, pause the game and take your picture
  • You may not use a time bonus door more than once
  • You need to make it to stage 6 for your score to be valid
  • Pause the game right at the start of the boss fight.
  • Highest progress + Highest score wins

Arcade: Donkey Kong Junior

• Play 1 player, Mode B
  • Make it to loop 3 in one life
  • Pause the game as you reach stage 1, loop 3 and take your picture
  • If you don't make it to stage 1, loop 3 in one life, your score is 0
  • Highest score wins

For the finals, points for each game will be awarded in the following manner:

• 1st place - 10 points
  • 2nd place - 8 points
  • 3rd place - 6 points
  • 4th place - 5 points
  • 5th place - 4 points
  • 6th place - 3 points
  • 7th place - 2 points
  • 8th place - 1 point

Tournament finals ends Sunday, 12/04/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Final Round Results :

Donkey Kong Jr. :

1st   docile tapeworm   69,900 = 10 points
2nd  NesFiend              63,900 = 8 points
3rd  Krunch                   62,200 = 6 points
4th  Dr. Morbis              59,100 = 5 points

5th  Pii                           54,300 = 4 points

Code Name: Viper :

1st  Dr. Morbis Cleared/66,270 = 10 points
2nd Krunch      Stage 6/53,850 = 8 points
3rd NESFiend  Stage 6/29,690 = 6 points

Tournament Final Standing :

1st  Dr. Morbis           = 31 points
2nd Krunch                 = 17 points
2nd NesFiend             = 17 points
4th docile tapeworm = 15 points
5th Pii                         = 11 points
6th the_wiz_666       = 8 points
7th mbd39                 = 4 points
8th JamesRobot       = no point

@BeaIank I'm assuming for Code Name: Viper if we don't make it to the Area 8 boss then we have to stop and take a picture at the start of our last life (in addition to making it to Area 6 at a minimum) or do you want us to play out our last life?  So do we need to have a life in reserve when we get to the Area 8 boss, or can we be at zero when we get there?

Also, I haven't played it yet, but I'm wondering what takes precedence: highest score or furthest progress?  I'm asking because if it's strictly highest score, it might completely change one's strategy into finding the best spot to point-scum until time runs out on each life, without worrying about beating Areas, so it's better to know this before I start playing...

EDIT - Okay, I just tried it out and there is a door that refills your time in Area 5, and it can be used infinitely, ergo I strongly recommend making it progress first and high score as the tie breaker, otherwise there is no real point in playing Area's 6 to 8; one could just spend hours point scumming on Area 5 and then get to the start of Area 6 when he'd had enough and snap a picture to make his score official...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@BeaIank I'm assuming for Code Name: Viper if we don't make it to the Area 8 boss then we have to stop and take a picture at the start of our last life (in addition to making it to Area 6 at a minimum) or do you want us to play out our last life?  So do we need to have a life in reserve when we get to the Area 8 boss, or can we be at zero when we get there?

Also, I haven't played it yet, but I'm wondering what takes precedence: highest score or furthest progress?  I'm asking because if it's strictly highest score, it might completely change one's strategy into finding the best spot to point-scum until time runs out on each life, without worrying about beating Areas, so it's better to know this before I start playing...

EDIT - Okay, I just tried it out and there is a door that refills your time in Area 5, and it can be used infinitely, ergo I strongly recommend making it progress first and high score as the tie breaker, otherwise there is no real point in playing Area's 6 to 8; one could just spend hours point scumming on Area 5 and then get to the start of Area 6 when he'd had enough and snap a picture to make his score official...

Adjusted the rules to be more clear, forbid the use of a time door more than once and to change it to highest progress + highest score.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PII said:

54,100.png

Hey @PII, I see you're on one life in reserve in the picture; are you aware this is supposed to be a no-death run to the start of the third loop?  You should have 3 lives in reserve (due to the 1up from points) when you snap your picture...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

12 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Hey @PII, I see you're on one life in reserve in the picture; are you aware this is supposed to be a no-death run to the start of the third loop?  You should have 3 lives in reserve (due to the 1up from points) when you snap your picture...

I guess my little DKjr tried to pick a piece of fruit and plucked an oopsi-daisy instead...

...guess I'm still in Q*bert mode...

Edited by PII

1 hour ago, PII said:

...guess I'm still in Q*bert mode...

Speaking of Q*bert, I checked the Mexican Runner's NES Mania list and he rated it 9.5 out of 10 in difficulty and it took him 16+ hours to beat - and he's an incredible gamer!  So yeah, I'm gonna have to double down on my "don't have time" comment and shelve that game for a good long while... 😛

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Speaking of Q*bert, I checked the Mexican Runner's NES Mania list and he rated it 9.5 out of 10 in difficulty and it took him 16+ hours to beat - and he's an incredible gamer!  So yeah, I'm gonna have to double down on my "don't have time" comment and shelve that game for a good long while... 😛

Yeah, that's more or less what I was attempting to communicate.  I've never buckled down on it, just played casually.  I know I can do it, but it'll take some effort for sure.  Maybe in the next month or two though...

19 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah for me Q Bert was fairly tough even though Ive played it a fair bit but accordings to the constraints of the contest the best thing was to farm on 2-1 and then coast the rest from there - which isnt too easy, you can lose lives easily on the 3-1 and onward levels. Anyway I basically was aiming to get 1st and got too greedy, had lots of chances to get a mid 70's score but kept going for the big one, when I pulled the 70K I was like alright but then was surprised you had one higher.  With an hour left, a high level of fatigue, and some other stuff I wanted to do I had to sacrifice the chance for 2nd.  Tough go around.  But at least I got 3 pts going in and these final games are more heavily weighted.  DK jr is pretty fun... I have a cocktail arcade machine of it so ive always liked that one.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:39 PM, PII said:

I was farming 3-1 as there is no need to ever stop and wait for what's-his-name to show up and change the colors and enemies get quite a bit worse on later level 3...

True, you can farm there as well.  Just jump back and forth.  On 2-1 I was mostly focused on farming whats-his-name along with the tile points.  Mainly just leading the snake up to the top and moving in a 2x2 square, sometimes expanding into a 3x3 square to be able to dip down amd get whats-his-name and avoid enemies on the lower-odds situation of them making it to the top.  It kinda pays to take your time in general really, the more points per level the better (as long as doing so doesnt zap your lives).

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Im on the board! 

DK Jr. Mode B - 56,800

20221202_205835.jpg

I got up to 59,100 yesterday after I tried again. Hopefully the tournaments go back to traditional format of one game a week, especially if they are going to continue running through Thanksgiving week. Out of all the games, it seems like there was one I was good at and one I was either just okay at each week. I hadn't even played Code Name: Viper so I would have needed the full week just to have a chance.