IGNORED

Prices have cooled. Are you buying the dip?

I’m sure we’ve all noticed the recent price drops in the hobby. Are you guys buying now or waiting to see if prices drop even more?

Some of the biggest price drops I’ve seen are SNES loose carts, pretty much all Sega consoles, TG16, handheld titles, and I hear that graded games are dropping as well.

What price drops have you seen? Is now the time to buy?

Im suprised nobody called CPS on me because of how bad I’ve been taking advantage of these kids. Assaulting ebay sellers with aggressively low offers and bids is almost my 2nd job right now. 

Seriously though I bet the bottom will fall out a little bit more- now is the time to take advantage of the Fairweather clowns and make them rethink the fact that they tried to pop in this hobby to make a quick buck off us. 

mint genny cib is low and getting lower. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Im suprised nobody called CPS on me because of how bad I’ve been taking advantage of these kids. Assaulting ebay sellers with aggressively low offers and bids is almost my 2nd job right now. 

Seriously though I bet the bottom will fall out a little bit more- now is the time to take advantage of the Fairweather clowns and make them rethink the fact that they tried to pop in this hobby to make a quick buck off us. 

mint genny cib is low and getting lower. 

So what you’re telling me is I just might get me that mint, CIB copy of Moonwalker after all. Nice!

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

It’ll be nice to get the remaining snes carts I need for a little bit cheaper but it’s not gonna cause me to spend anymore or less than I normally would. 

edit: isn’t this the normal cycle of the year when game prices fall anyways?

In my experience the yearly price drop happens around summertime. I thought prices usually bounce back at this time of year.

14 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Sealed prices have not cooled and continue to rise which is to be expected. Grading hype BS plus there are far less copies out there. So for someone like me who opens them, the prices are still too damn high.

I heard that the recent Heritage sealed auction sales were much lower than expected

I've been seeing it since the early parts of summer and it kind of spread out.  I did a july push on a number of SNES games that took some pretty decent hits, one nearly by 1/2 (r-type 3) when I popped for it, others roughly were a 1/3 off the start of the year which had been consistently sucky until that point.  Three weeks ago got the last notable Genesis game I really wanted back in my hands, Dune for $42 which surprised me, months earlier and going back, it had trended at $60-70+ with it in clean shape.  That was ebay, got fed up waiting locally on that one. 😉

I've seen what you are, it spread out to other primarily loose carts, the foaming at the mouth over paper hasn't slackened really.  That has become an increasing not decreasing problem.  And there are loose carts that are bucking it, maybe were too low too long and are getting corrected.

V-Rally 3 on GBA was an easy $5-10 sell forever but as of mid 2020 the loose game went to 15-20, and in the last 2mo has (for drama) skyrocketed from $15-20 up to $50-70 as an easy sell.  Only the USA version, euro still cheap.  And the CIB game went from a high of $55 18 months ago to $270, I know this due to that find about a week ago which still amazes me at the stupidity of paper pushers.  That went in 2020 as a $20-30 CIB game to in 2022 a $270 minimum complete game (with a dude OBO'n $500+ on ebay currently with watchers.)

Personally not changing  my habits.  Ebay is largely taboo for games, pricing sure, buying...ehhhh.  I've seen some good stuff turn up locally, prices aren't keep up as well on the drops with online but are softening too which is nice.  The rule this year has largely been buy local, and only when it's under the average after the online fees/shipping are counted, otherwise, don't care, don't need it.  Despite that I've had good times pulling in stuff at a slow but steady pace and that works fine by me.  I may increase grabbing if the stuff continues to plummet as I'm looking at the lousy VGPC line graph on various things and I see this weird hard downward slope in the last month or two on a number of games, hard, not gradual.  Maybe recession/inflation fears are finally having a good impact on the abuse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

CIBs haven't gone down, quite the opposite - still on an upward trend as far as I can tell. All the games I'm still looking for anyway, have not come down at all.

56 minutes ago, austin532 said:

Especially mint 100% CIB games. They still fetch a premium.

Ya nice cib seems to be getting more attention than years past, as loose collecting was more popular. Loose seems to be less popular now days.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, austin532 said:

Especially mint 100% CIB games. They still fetch a premium.

I remember @jonebonesaying about a decade ago that gem mint CIB would always fetch a premium and people getting rather salty about the observation. 

But right now, if you're ok with a little crush damage, a torn flap or some sun fade on one side, a little crack in a jewel case, those CIBs are definitely at a year on year low. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I'm good with damaged boxes, got a couple for the cost of postage for GB and I happened to have the game+manual already so they're on display now. 😄  Not a box guy anymore, used to be, but paper premium cut me out of it almost entirely.  I have been debating with my thoughts on manuals though, I do enjoy just reading those.

• Like 2

I just recently noticed SNES being much more affordable at a local shop in NYC. I think virtual “mini” consoles are finally starting to make an ripple. I also literally heard a guy in the store say to his girlfriend “I’d buy that but I don’t have my original SNES anymore”. I think there also a transition happening with younger people these days. There will always be new crops of retro collectors but I’m noticing fewer people actually know or desire 80s/90s systems like NES/SNES/Genesis/N64. They just didn’t grow up with it. They are GameCube, PS2, Wii types. 

Actually... I heard from my friend's cousin's best friends sister that the prices for everything are going to KEEP CRASHING, and crash even faster.

Imma wait this out.... I'm waiting out for the glorious $5 cart days. 

WE CAN DO IT! HOLD OUT EVERYONE!

failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

Honest answer: Not doing anything different. I see it, I want it, I buy it, I play it.   😎👍

I try not to buy anything for "full"/retail price anyways.... I don't know... if Little Samson Cart drops to 1k I'll probably buy it? 

Orrrrrr.... no.... if it drops to 1k I'll still wait to see? Hahaha... 🤣