IGNORED

MEGA POLL - Favorite Disney Animated Feature Film by Decade

AverageOliver98

Favorite Animated Disney Film by Decade  

50 members have voted

1. 1. 1930s + 40s

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
    • Pinocchio (1940)
    • Fantasia (1940)
    • Dumbo (1941)
    • Bambi (1942)
    • Saludos Amigos (1943)
    • The Three Caballeros (1945)
    • Make Mine Music (1946)
    • Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
    • Melody Time (1948)
    • The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
    • No opinion on/Don't really like any of these
  2. 2. 1950s

• Cinderella (1950)
    • Alice in Wonderland (1951)
    • Peter Pan (1953)
    • Lady and the Tramp (1955)
    • Sleeping Beauty (1959)
  3. 3. 1960s

• One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961)
    • The Sword in the Stone (1963)
    • The Jungle Book (1967)
  4. 4. 1970s

• The Aristocats (1970)
    • Robin Hood (1973)
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
    • The Rescuers (1977)
  5. 5. 1980s

• The Fox and the Hound (1981)
    • The Black Cauldron (1985)
    • The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
    • Oliver & Company (1988)
    • The Little Mermaid (1989)
  6. 6. 1990s

• The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
    • Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    • Aladdin (1992)
    • The Lion King (1994)
    • Pocahontas (1995)
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    • Hercules (1997)
    • Mulan (1998)
    • Tarzan (1999)
    • Fantasia 2000 (1999)
  7. 7. 2000s

• Dinosaur (2000)
    • The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
    • Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)
    • Lilo & Stitch (2002)
    • Treasure Planet (2002)
    • Brother Bear (2003)
    • Home on the Range (2004)
    • Chicken Little (2005)
    • Meet the Robinsons (2007)
    • Bolt (2008)
    • The Princess and the Frog (2009)
  8. 8. 2010s

• Tangled (2010)
    • Winnie the Pooh (2011)
    • Wreck-it-Ralph (2012)
    • Frozen (2013)
    • Big Hero 6 (2014)
    • Zootopia (2016)
    • Moana (2016)
    • Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
    • Frozen II (2019)
  9. 9. 2020s

• Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)
    • Encanto (2021)

22 hours ago, Link said:

Those are Don Bluth, not Disney.

I'm particularly fond of All Dogs Go to Heaven. 

That's why I mentioned them. Because they're not Disney, but still great. It was stated the 80's was shitty for animated movies, while that might be true for Disney (Little Mermaid aside, obviously) it's not true in general with the Bluth films as mentioned. 

Just wanted to make sure American Tail and Land Before Time got some love somewhere here. 😉

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

That's why I mentioned them. Because they're not Disney, but still great. It was stated the 80's was shitty for animated movies, while that might be true for Disney (Little Mermaid aside, obviously) it's not true in general with the Bluth films as mentioned. 

Just wanted to make sure American Tail and Land Before Time got some love somewhere here. 😉

The best animated movies of the 80’s were being made in Japan 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Beauty and the Beast is the GOAT largely because Gaston is the best Disney villain of all time.

Come at me. I'll die on that hill.

Sarcasm? If not:

Tell us you're an incel without saying you're an incel.

And his song is the worst in the movie. Great movie, one of the best ever, but Gaston has nothing to do with that fact as he is undoubtedly the worst (in every category both within the film itself and filmaking) aspect of it. 

10 hours ago, doner24 said:

The best animated movies of the 80’s were being made in Japan 😉

Haha, yeah, but I have a hard time following those movies even as an adult.... if it's anime you're talking of.

Or movies like Heavy Metal. 

As a small child I needed something more digestable, or Disney-like. 😆

Edited by AirVillain

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Sarcasm? If not:

And his song is the worst in the movie. Great movie, one of the best ever, but Gaston has nothing to do with that fact as he is undoubtedly the worst (in every category both within the film itself and filmaking) aspect of it. 

Haha, yeah, but I have a hard time following those movies even as an adult.... if it's anime you're talking of.

Or movies like Heavy Metal. 

As a small child I needed something more digestable, or Disney-like. 😆

Sure Akira is incredible and counts as “Anime”. But for more Disney-like movies, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki’s Delivery Service beat Disney or Bluth in the 80’s. Also, Grave of the Fireflies might be the best of all of them, but definitely not Disney-like. 

• Like 1

Fun poll! A lot of mine lined up with the popular opinion I guess. I was most torn on the 90s and 2000s, but I gave the 90s vote to Hercules instead of Hunchback, and I gave the 2000s vote to Emperor's New Groove over Meet the Robinsons. (Which is criminally underrated)

I'm kind of stunned how much Robin Hood clobbered Winnie the Pooh though. Speaking of which, "The Tigger Movie" and "Piglet's Big Movie" weren't listed here. Both were released theatrically. Also "A Goofy Movie" isn't listed either, which absolutely would have gotten my 90s vote.

Edited by PekoponTAS
Winne the Pooh

6 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Sarcasm? If not:

And his song is the worst in the movie. Great movie, one of the best ever, but Gaston has nothing to do with that fact as he is undoubtedly the worst (in every category both within the film itself and filmaking) aspect of 

Incel? I had to look up what that even means. That's really not nice...

Gaston is especially unique for a Disney villain. He is charming and ultimately charismatic in addition to being a complete narcissist. His talent for hunting makes him an extremely important member of the village, we have to keep in mind that they get to eat meat because presumably he is incredibly skilled at bringing it home. Even though he's a complete asshole to everyone around him, the vast majority of those in town love him anyway. This causes his narcissism to be so out of control that being simple female rejection is too much to bear, so it sends him into a drunken night at the tavern.

Gaston is pretty complicated of a character as well. He's not your typical disney evil guy that does evil things. He does indeed care about his village. He proves this by when shown evidence of the Beast's existence, he calms the fear of the villagers by assuring them they have nothing to fear and can conquer him ho problem. Sure he has no respect for Belle or her intelligence, but we must remember that he is a narcissist and that's what narcissists do. Respect for others isn't within his capabilities. In short, Gaston varies from your typical villain in that we probably all know someone just like him in our life.

A side point to Gaston is he is voiced by true male vocal talent typically unseen in other Disney movies. Richard White is a legit opera baritone. This is classically trained ability that stems from having legitimate refined God given talent. This is contrast with many other male leads which tend to be pop singers or Hollywood actors. While you may not enjoy the song "Gaston", I find it incredible. And that is largely due to Richard White's delivery.

So yes, Gaston is my pick for best Disney villian. He is written and executed remarkably well.

Moderator · Posted
6 hours ago, PekoponTAS said:

Fun poll! A lot of mine lined up with the popular opinion I guess. I was most torn on the 90s and 2000s, but I gave the 90s vote to Hercules instead of Hunchback, and I gave the 2000s vote to Emperor's New Groove over Meet the Robinsons. (Which is criminally underrated)

I'm kind of stunned how much Robin Hood clobbered Winnie the Pooh though. Speaking of which, "The Tigger Movie" and "Piglet's Big Movie" weren't listed here. Both were released theatrically. Also "A Goofy Movie" isn't listed either, which absolutely would have gotten my 90s vote.

While made by Disney, none of those movies are a part of the Walt Disney Animated Studios releases. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, doner24 said:

Sure Akira is incredible and counts as “Anime”. But for more Disney-like movies, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki’s Delivery Service beat Disney or Bluth in the 80’s. Also, Grave of the Fireflies might be the best of all of them, but definitely not Disney-like. 

Interesting, thanks for the suggestions.

17 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Incel? I had to look up what that even means. That's really not nice...

Gaston is especially unique for a Disney villain. He is charming and ultimately charismatic in addition to being a complete narcissist. His talent for hunting makes him an extremely important member of the village, we have to keep in mind that they get to eat meat because presumably he is incredibly skilled at bringing it home. Even though he's a complete asshole to everyone around him, the vast majority of those in town love him anyway. This causes his narcissism to be so out of control that being simple female rejection is too much to bear, so it sends him into a drunken night at the tavern.

Gaston is pretty complicated of a character as well. He's not your typical disney evil guy that does evil things. He does indeed care about his village. He proves this by when shown evidence of the Beast's existence, he calms the fear of the villagers by assuring them they have nothing to fear and can conquer him ho problem. Sure he has no respect for Belle or her intelligence, but we must remember that he is a narcissist and that's what narcissists do. Respect for others isn't within his capabilities. In short, Gaston varies from your typical villain in that we probably all know someone just like him in our life.

A side point to Gaston is he is voiced by true male vocal talent typically unseen in other Disney movies. Richard White is a legit opera baritone. This is classically trained ability that stems from having legitimate refined God given talent. This is contrast with many other male leads which tend to be pop singers or Hollywood actors. While you may not enjoy the song "Gaston", I find it incredible. And that is largely due to Richard White's delivery.

So yes, Gaston is my pick for best Disney villian. He is written and executed remarkably well.

Yeah, didn't quite mean it THAT harshly 😉

Still sounds like you're being a bit sarcastic. 

Not that I don't like the song Gaston, it's just notably at the bottom of the list. The lyricism is funny. "I'm especially good at expectorating." 🤣

I mean... I understand liking Gaston, thanks to a better understanding from yourself for sure, but the movie is great despite him being so weird and creepy (kidnapping Belle's father in order to try to force her to marry him? Yes, I get it being creepy is the point, but it's a lot... even for "back then", haha 😆), not because of him.

But Best Disney Villain... that's a whole other conversation....??? 🤔🧐

Edited by AirVillain

Doner is right about Ghibli movies from the 80s and into the 90s, they beat the crap out of Disney, even the really good disney stuff largely.

If you have HBO Max they have all the ghibli stuff there in the package, I get it from att free due to my mobile.  There's also a really slick amazon blu ray box that had all those gems for a really good price too and I've had that as well before the streaming was a choice.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted
46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

While we're talking about Bluth, I need a moment to bitch about the difference in how those movies were originally branded, and how they are nowadays:

lf.jpeg

images (4).jpeg

Yeah, the original way gives a good look at the vibe of the movie, the second one isn’t close. 

• Agree 1

Interesting that no one's voted for Aristocats. I remember watching it a lot on VHS, along with 101 Dalmatians, Winnie the Pooh '77, Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Co, and Aladdin. 

Unfortunately, I don't remember much of the film past the motorcycle chase scene so the vote went to Pooh Bear (the late 80s show and 2000s movies helped with the bias too).