IGNORED

Game Debate #127: Stardew Valley

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

This has been a wonderful and addictive game that I've dumped many hours into at different points over the years. The addition of multiplayer gave it new life, and the expansion that added the island added a lot to the late game. There are a lot of things done in Stardew that outshines what inspired it (in fact, Story of Seasons has taken some of the ideas that Stardew developed), but as with all farming games, once you've done all there is to do, there's little reason to keep playing. That said, the game is so good that - with a little time away on the shelf - you tend to want to go back and relive it all again in a slightly (or significantly) different way before too long.

Easy 9, bordering on a 10 for me.

I played 150 hours co-op with my wife. It’s a great farm/life sim, just a little grindy sometimes. There are some long stretches of doing the same thing (wake up, grind mines to some end, sleep, repeat). I can’t complain about the value cause it’s 15 whole dollars but I wouldn’t mind a little more variety or sandbox-iness to hold my interest. I couldn’t play it literally forever like a Minecraft. But $15 for 150 hours…

8/10

Weird place on this, I can't fairly rate it, but I've seen a good bit of it in places since my kid has been at it off and on for I guess six months maybe now, could be more.  I've seen the farming, relationship grow, married, animal care, RPG-lite mechanics looking for stuff, selling goods, special events, star pieces from those etc.

From what I've seen I'd put this at a fairly high rating like an 8 or something, it took what Harvest Moon did before it went off the deep end and made it a bit more approachable, better, just more accessible and fun.  I still waffle at starting on it, thinking I'd be most likely to at least half ass it on my iphone of all things, PC second to that, won't touch it on a console or dedicated handheld at this rate (ever.)  I figure maybe I see a fat sale on iOS I'll grab it and see if I can suffer through the learning curve that ruined me on the old SNES title that scared me off it repeatedly.

I like what they did there, the designer did a wonderful job.  Maybe I'm missing some mechanic that might make me knock it down a peg or two, or up another, no clue.  They add content and not hose you with IAP hell too, and that's a plus, much like Terraria did.