IGNORED

Did you have/play Sunset Riders as a kid?

Andykin Skysk8r

Sunset Riders is a game I never came across in the 90s, and didnt even run into on the internet until a few years ago. Its so popular on Twitch I had to eventually give it a shot. I really love it as its basically Cowboy Contra, made by Konami and all. The thing is though, the default setting feels like playing Contra on hard mode, and that coupled with it being Western themed makes it really stand out as its own thing to me. I was wondering what were peoples experience/reaction to the game back then? Was it popular? The talk of the school yard? Did you beat it? Did everyone give up at the same part? Did your friends older brother know all the tricks? Did you dress up as Steve or Cormano for Halloween? 

• Like 1

Actually, no.  I never cared for wild west style games much other than a rare shot at Gunsmoke, and that was a couple times on some random arcade machine.

After/during 1995 when I got into 2nd hand I still hadn't even seen the game, maybe some forgotten passing glance at retail then or new earlier, a shame, given it's Konami and they did amazing work but somehow it never hit my radar.  Gun.Smoke around then is what I grabbed on NES and enjoyed it a lot, but I never had any desire otherwise despite seeing Cowboy Kid or Lone Ranger(which looked a bit convoluted.)  It wasn't until surprisingly around 2010 I got Sunset Riders and also Wild Guns(which I still had this, working on that right now too) and really ended up enjoying it a lot.  A real lost opportunity.  I didn't even realize it was an arcade port either until after that point.

Despite the term being laughably abused and overused in the post e-peen measuring stick of gamers on youtube mimicking each other acting like experts they aren't, this game really would be an honest classification on SNES and Genesis as a hidden gem.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I did not know of this game as a child. 

It blew my mind when I discovered it as an adult. 

I believe the comment that also got me was "It's like Contra, but with cowboys" and it did NOT disappoint. 

10 hours ago, Link said:

It was in the arcade I went to, on a rear projection bigscreen. But I didn't play it - too busy with Turtles and Simpsons and X-Men and Mario. 

Well, can't blame you really. Turtles, Simpson's, and X-Men are so incredible.

It begs the question why wouldn't Konami release Simpson's Arcade on SNES. WHAT THA FUQ!? X-Men too for that matter!!

There has to be legitimate reasons for this. Hopefully other than Konami being dumb. 

I mean, they HAD to know they were popular games? Maybe they didn't want to hurt the arcade market? 🤔

Edited by AirVillain
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AirVillain said:

t begs the question why wouldn't Konami release Simpson's Arcade on SNES. WHAT THA FUQ!? X-Men too for that matter!!

Acclaim seemed like they had console rights for simpsons locked up.  It did get a poor pc port

X men seemed to hot potato between Acclaim, Sega, and Capcom all taking stabs at it around the same time.  The comic and cartoon was hotter than ever back then...seems like a no brainer port.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

15 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I did not know of this game as a child. 

It blew my mind when I discovered it as an adult. 

I believe the comment that also got me was "It's like Contra, but with cowboys" and it did NOT disappoint. 

Well, can't blame you really. Turtles, Simpson's, and X-Men are so incredible.

It begs the question why wouldn't Konami release Simpson's Arcade on SNES. WHAT THA FUQ!? X-Men too for that matter!!

I always wondered why the SNES didn't get a port of WWF WrestleFest. I think WWF Super Wrestlemania had a similar roster, but it wasn't nearly as good.

• Like 1