IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament details!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

We need 8 people to play it.
If you have a huge project to deal with at work, I think it is best you pass this indeed. I will enlist @JamesRobot then!

Aw yeah!

Might as well call it now cause yall going down like skinny on prom night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/31/2022 at 3:33 PM, BeaIank said:

Pro Wrestling: Pick any wrestler of your preference. Win the first 4 matches and take the picture of the time you took in each match. Lowest sum of times win. You must win all 4 matches (total and wins must be 4. You can't lose a single match or your time will be 9:59:59).

@BeaIank:

The time given after each match is not cumulative; it's just for the most recent match.  So do you want four seperate pictures - one for each match - to be submitted?  That would be the only way to calculate a cumulative time.  I just want to make sure before I start playing this game...

Events Team · Posted
44 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

@BeaIank:

The time given after each match is not cumulative; it's just for the most recent match.  So do you want four seperate pictures - one for each match - to be submitted?  That would be the only way to calculate a cumulative time.  I just want to make sure before I start playing this game...

That is correct. You need to post the picture of each match, 4 pictures total.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

OK, let's REVEAL the games for round 2 and their rules!!!!

Puzzle:

• Game: Q-Bert
  • Rules:
    • Make it to round 4-1 and pause the game
    • You don't have to make it there in one life, so you can burn lives for points
    • Highest score wins

Shooter:

• Game: Life Force
  • Rules:
    • Loop the game without dying
    • Highest score wins
    • The double hit glitch is allowed 
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Puzzle:

• Rules:
    • Highest score wins

Shooter:

• Rules:
    • Highest score wins

Q-bert - do you have to reach 4-1 to submit a score? I have no recollection of how hard that is. 

Life force - do you have to loop it to submit a score?

20 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Of course.

The play 3 or 4 levels of longer games like q bert and batman returns are a really good idea for all of us old people who struggle to find time. 

Pumped to play q bert again even though I play like a reckless spaz. Its extremely pleasing to the eye

Events Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The play 3 or 4 levels of longer games like q bert and batman returns are a really good idea for all of us old people who struggle to find time. 

Pumped to play q bert again even though I play like a reckless spaz. Its extremely pleasing to the eye

The idea is that getting a score on each game should be not too timing consuming so you can try to improve often.
Finals will follow a similar format.

• Like 1

Oh god, if I had known what was in store for week 2 I would've politely bowed out because I have zero chance. Is there still time for someone to take my place?

EDIT: I guess I'll give it a try. But man... That last section of Life Force is going to be rough to beat without dying at all. And I've never got that far in Qbert. Although there's no guarantee I'll even survive the first round.

Edited by mbd39

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Oh god, if I had known what was in store for week 2 I would've politely bowed out because I have zero chance. Is there still time for someone to take my place?

EDIT: I guess I'll give it a try. But man... That last section of Life Force is going to be rough to beat without dying at all. And I've never got that far in Qbert. Although there's no guarantee I'll even survive the first round.

I'm actually not too bad at those games, but trying to work both in during Thanksgiving week was gonna be tough for me to do. Good luck!

On 11/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, BeaIank said:

Puzzle:

• Rules:
    • Highest score wins

Shooter:

• Rules:
    • Highest score wins

Well, I'm gonna lose.  I suck nuts at Q-Bert and I am definitely not gonna be able to no-death Life Force 😛

Events Team · Posted
On 11/12/2022 at 11:42 PM, NESfiend said:

Also, I am definitely implementing this for the normal contest rounds next year. A shorter time requirement to participate might draw in more players.
And it is also an optimizer's dream. You can do several fast runs in one evening trying to find the best route to gather the most points/lowest time/etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I recently beat Life Force for the first time. I died several times in the last level. I think I can learn to no-death it.

Last time I remembered playing we did three loops no death. I got through two loops and hit a wall on the second to last stage in the third loop. I was pissed.

• Wow! 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:58 PM, BeaIank said:

The idea is that getting a score on each game should be not too timing consuming so you can try to improve often.

I definitely agree, but I still consider 35+ minutes per attempt on Batman Returns to get to 5-1 to be pretty time consuming, and that's before you even throw in the endless point scumming by falling through the floor in level 2...