IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament details!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, we are nearing the time of our 2022 VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST TOURNAMENT!

So, in order for our players to best prepare for it, @guillavoie and I have decided to share the details of how the tournament will work this year:

• The top 8 better qualified players in the Geral scoreboard will be invited to the tournament
  • Should any not accept, the next best qualified player will be invited in place
  • The tournament will take place in 3 weeks.
  • Each week, the 8 players will compete in 2 different genre of games out of the 6 genres of the weekly contest
  • Week 1 will be Beat'em Up and Sports. The games will be Batman Returns (Beat'em Up) and Pro Wrestling (Sports)
  • The games for week 2 will be revealed at the start of week 1. Week 2 will be shooter and puzzle.
  • The games for the final week will be revealed at the start of week 2. The final will be action and arcade

For weeks 1 and 2, the players will be awarded points for their placement in each game as follow:

• 1st place - 5 points
  • 2nd place - 4 points
  • 3rd place - 2 points
  • 4th place - 1 point
  • 5th and onward - No points

For the final week, the points for each game will be awarded as follow:

• 1st place - 10 points
  • 2nd place - 8 points
  • 3rd place - 6 points
  • 4th place - 5 points
  • 5th place - 4 points
  • 6th place - 3 points
  • 7th place - 2 points
  • 8th place - 1 point

The champion will be the player that gathered the most points through the three weeks of the tournament! Should there be the need for a tie breaker, the Geral scoreboard points will be used to define the winner.

Get ready as the tournament starts on November, 13th, 2022!

Our top 8 players that are invited to the tournament are:

Please, post in this thread confirming your participation.
Should any of them decide to not partake in the tournament, @8bitdontquit is our runner up to take the vacant spot!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did he even end up posting a score in the first round? I forget.

Yeah but it was the lowest-effort attempt in a tournament round of all time.  He played Challenger and got killed by the first guy he saw on the overhead map screen or something like that...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah but it was the lowest-effort attempt in a tournament round of all time.  He played Challenger and got killed by the first guy he saw on the overhead map screen or something like that...

I knew it was something of that nature, but I couldn't remember exactly. I didn't think Challenger was that bad of a game.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I knew it was something of that nature, but I couldn't remember exactly. I didn't think Challenger was that bad of a game.

I had full health when I got to that guy or something like that I remember thinking “this guy won’t die”

7 hours ago, PII said:

I thought it was kinda neat-o.

The overhead levels where you threw the knives seemed to be Legend of Zelda inspired. The caves where it switched to a side scrolling game seemed similar to the caves and temples from Adventure of Link. It wasn't the greatest game ever, but I'd probably give it a solid 6/10.

3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Oh man, I haven't played Batman Returns in years. I remember the annoying enemies and high difficulty. I reached Penguin when we played last time but I didn't beat it.

I was the only person to beat it during the 2013 and 2015 contests. It looks like the 2018 scores were much better.

4 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Oh man, I haven't played Batman Returns in years. I remember the annoying enemies and high difficulty. I reached Penguin when we played last time but I didn't beat it.

It looks like @Tablew/chairs beat it back in 2018. It's crazy to think that in three contests, only two people finished the game.

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Annoying enemies and high difficulty? Im shocked. Been years since I played through it, but I either beat it or came very close without experiencing NES rage. By memory, its easier than those double dragon games you clearly managed to master. Im excited to dive back in!

@BeaIank, may be asking for too much, but can we get some parameters on the first 2 games? Guessing batman will be 1 life. Pro wrestling, you can choose your character and i assume it loops. If there is a particular character we will have to use, that would be nice to know so pratice time doesnt go to waste. Loop ruling would be nice too, but again, I know Im asking a lot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It looks like @Tablew/chairs beat it back in 2018. It's crazy to think that in three contests, only two people finished the game.

I think me, you and tables are the only ones who got that far, although I didn't beat it. It's one of the harder beat em ups we've played. It's also not that popular compared to Double Dragon and Turtles.

54 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Annoying enemies and high difficulty? Im shocked. Been years since I played through it, but I either beat it or came very close without experiencing NES rage. By memory, its easier than those double dragon games you clearly managed to master. Im excited to dive back in!

@BeaIank, may be asking for too much, but can we get some parameters on the first 2 games? Guessing batman will be 1 life. Pro wrestling, you can choose your character and i assume it loops. If there is a particular character we will have to use, that would be nice to know so pratice time doesnt go to waste. Loop ruling would be nice too, but again, I know Im asking a lot

After you win the title in Pro Wrestling you defend it against all of the wrestlers before you have a title unification belt against Great Puma so I don't know what the tiebreaker would be for the people that finish the game.

Events Team · Posted
22 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Batman Returns: Make it to stage 5-1 in one life, pause and take your picture. If you can't make to 5-1 in one life, your score will be zero.

Pro Wrestling: Pick any wrestler of your preference. Win the first 4 matches and take the picture of the time you took in each match. Lowest sum of times win. You must win all 4 matches (total and wins must be 4. You can't lose a single match or your time will be 9:59:59).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Batman Returns: Make it to stage 5-1 in one life, pause and take your picture. If you can't make to 5-1 in one life, your score will be zero.

The contest is basically beat the organ grinder with one life. Oh man that's mean, lol.

On 10/31/2022 at 3:33 PM, BeaIank said:

Pro Wrestling: Pick any wrestler of your preference. Win the first 4 matches and take the picture of the time you took in each match. Lowest sum of times win. You must win all 4 matches (total and wins must be 4. You can't lose a single match or your time will be 9:59:59).

Separating the @BeaIank level players from the @docile tapeworm level ones in a real hurry here 😛

I'm definitely gonna have to practice.  Haven't played Batman Returns very far...not sure if I've even beat the first level before.  Pro Wrestling sounds doable though...just gotta get good enough to win four matches 😛