IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - BURGER TIME!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The controls don't seem to be that good. I had to try some other games to make sure my controller wasn't wearing out.

The main issue is how notoriously finicky the ladders are. BurgerTime is a quite hard game to begin with, and that makes it even worse. You also have to be careful going to the side of the screen because enemies spawn there.

I can see this port being appealing for the high challenge factor. Many home ports of arcade games are made easier while this one is hard as nails.

26 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The main issue is how notoriously finicky the ladders are. BurgerTime is a quite hard game to begin with, and that makes it even worse. You also have to be careful going to the side of the screen because enemies spawn there.

I can see this port being appealing for the high challenge factor. Many home ports of arcade games are made easier while this one is hard as nails.

I haven't played the arcade version in years, but this one may actually be harder. If you aren't pixel perfect getting on and off the ladders, it's easy to get stuck just long enough to lose a life.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I haven't played the arcade version in years, but this one may actually be harder

It is considerably harder than the arcade version.  I went from playing this one to playing the arcade machine a while back and it didn't take me long at all to loop the arcade game.

7 hours ago, PII said:

It is considerably harder than the arcade version.  I went from playing this one to playing the arcade machine a while back and it didn't take me long at all to loop the arcade game.

That's what I was thinking, but it's been so long since I played the arcade version that I couldn't be completely sure.

On 11/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, a3quit4s said:

All hail the burger master!

It's the little whirly Link holding up his sword next to this that gets me every time I scroll past 😋

@NESfiend

I really suck at this. 

20221105_165902.jpg

I like how your name tag looks to have been unceremoniously tossed atop a random pile of Video Game Paraphernalia.  😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I really suck at this. 

So do I. It's a damn hard game. I gotta concur with the comparisons made to the arcade version. I have way more flow on that. Couldn't put up a score that would be impressive here, but I can at least get something done. Not so on this version. 

Yeah, the NES may be better than all other consoles in history combined and multiplied by a billion, but DAMN this is a shitty port!  The Intellivision version of Burger Time is better than this one... Fucking Intellivision !!!

If you are one single pixel off the stairs, you are not using them, period.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:
On 11/3/2022 at 10:22 PM, docile tapeworm said:

FCA5C570-C70F-4886-B549-9B6AB7682769.jpeg

Sir performance enhancers are forbidden by the rules. Mountain Dew is clearly a banned substance 

Tsk.  Nursing the devil's nectar from the evil green teat of doom.  That's almost as bad as Richie tryna up his game with whisky & weed. 😉 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, the NES may be better than all other consoles in history combined and multiplied by a billion, but DAMN this is a shitty port!  The Intellivision version of Burger Time is better than this one... Fucking Intellivision !!!

If you are one single pixel off the stairs, you are not using them, period.

It's like somebody did the ladder trick in Donkey Kong and thought it would be a good idea to make a game where every movement involving a ladder should be pixel perfect.