IGNORED

Best Sega Genesis/Mega Drive OSTs

RH

I think there's already a thread on here where someone has asked "post your favorite game OSTs" but I'd like to specially ask about the Sega Genesis.  I have a long list of bookmarks organized in folders of YouTube playlists of game OSTs and that's what I most-frequently listen to during my work day.

Sadly, my list of Genesis titles is nothing but Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Sonic & Knuckles and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker.

I actually like the "sound" of the Genesis but since I didn't own one as a kid, I don't know what to try out.  Also, I don't remember seeing to much on the other "Best OST" posts.

So, what music on the Genesis is worth bookmarking and checking out?

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

As the creator of the thread, we defer to you. 😎

No, it's fine.  Post whatever you like! 😛

I'm just talking about preference. The only solo "video" I have is the "uncompressed" GoldenEye OST.  Not really uncompressed, but it gets the point across. Won't post that video though so I don't derail the conversation, but it can easily be found. 😉 

Sub-Terrania is forever my answer, already posted in the other thread. Can't get enough of it. People also love Adventures of Batman and Robin which is very advanced, I like the cleaner ST tracks better.

Streets of Rage 3 is such a mess, some people love it. I think it's a nightmare. Certainly unforgettable though.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, there's some good stuff in here.  Let's change this up a bit.

A while ago, I read an article, or watched a video, (maybe someone posted it to NA, but I can't remember) about why the Genesis has such a specific "poor" sound.  I disagree with the "poor sound" classification, but whatever.  The gist of the article was that the sound chip of the Genesis was actually a really good one and quite capable at the time to produce some really nice audio tracks. However, supposedly there was either little documentation on the chip, or it was difficult to code for, so SEGA released an additional devtool which was basically an audio track maker.  Within it there was a large list of pre-defined instrument wave forms and, though the Genesis could do a whole lot more, most developers stuck with the pre-defined instrument settings and that's where the "classic" Genesis sound comes from.

So, with that said, which of these tracks (or others) actually threw out the devtool freebie, and pushed the audio hardware?

48 minutes ago, RH said:

Thanks guys, there's some good stuff in here.  Let's change this up a bit.

A while ago, I read an article, or watched a video, (maybe someone posted it to NA, but I can't remember) about why the Genesis has such a specific "poor" sound.  I disagree with the "poor sound" classification, but whatever.  The gist of the article was that the sound chip of the Genesis was actually a really good one and quite capable at the time to produce some really nice audio tracks. However, supposedly there was either little documentation on the chip, or it was difficult to code for, so SEGA released an additional devtool which was basically an audio track maker.  Within it there was a large list of pre-defined instrument wave forms and, though the Genesis could do a whole lot more, most developers stuck with the pre-defined instrument settings and that's where the "classic" Genesis sound comes from.

So, with that said, which of these tracks (or others) actually threw out the devtool freebie, and pushed the audio hardware?

I think this is the software you are talking about: https://segaretro.org/GEMS. I don't think Japanese based developers made use of it though. 

Heres a full list of what games used what Sound Engine: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List along with 3 more awesome tracks from awesome OSTs(none by GEMS).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AverageOliver98 said:

I think this is the software you are talking about: https://segaretro.org/GEMS. I don't think Japanese based developers made use of it though. 

Heres a full list of what games used what Sound Engine: http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Mega_Drive/Genesis_Sound_Engine_List along with 3 more awesome tracks from awesome OSTs(none by GEMS).

You're correct-- it was GEMS.  When I saw the link, I recalled that was it.  I only saw that one article/video on it, and it feels like it was a while ago.

EDIT

Woohoo! Meta-edit.  I made it to the 500-post club.  Now it's a long trek past 1,000 to see what's past "Toad" status. :classic_ninja:

Edited by RH

On 11/11/2019 at 8:13 PM, acromite53 said:

I love the Genesis sound! Great bass...

Same. The Genesis just brought the bass like no other in a way that the SNES just couldn’t match. I used to have it hooked up with a subwoofer and the bass just KILLED. Like the bass drop in the intro to Marble Zone in Sonic 1 just shook the room. And it wasn’t even a big system.

Having the sound chip be very similar to those in found in the Yamaha DX synth family definitely helped. A big part of why more techno and dance style tracks really worked so well on it was due to it being a cut down version of the synths that were commonly used in late 80s techno and dance music. I love seeing that people have been making midi controllable synths out of it these days.

I also love the dirty crunch that it lends to samples. Especially when pitched down. Had a very SP-1200 vibe to it.

Edited by MachineCode
Autocorrect sucks
  • Wow! 1

14 hours ago, RH said:

A while ago, I read an article, or watched a video, (maybe someone posted it to NA, but I can't remember) about why the Genesis has such a specific "poor" sound.

gems

tl:dr it was a dev tool that helped musicians who might not be coders, work with the genesis audio easier.  It was ment to be a jumping off point, but many used the pre-selected instrumentation which lead to a lot of the "fart sounds" and other common genesis audio complaints.  Though some ost made via gems are actually really good like Comix Zone.

Edited by fox
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, MachineCode said:

I’d like to add Echo the Dolphin and Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 to the mix

I forgot about Ecco.  I've been working down the list, but I like "chill" tunes, mostly, so I might have to bump those up the list in case they have a chill under-the-sea tone like many water levels and games of that era. Thanks!