IGNORED

WTB: Dr. Mario Game Boy Pocket - Best Buy Exclusive

bluebomber

2 minutes ago, bluebomber said:

I have another Game Boy Pocket that came with Zelda Link's Awakening (non-DX version). It is an Ice Blue with a copy of Zelda that only came with this package. Code is DMG-AZLE-USA-2
It has a white Rated E on the cart. So they do exist. I wouldn't be surprised if Dr. Mario also had this.

images.jpg

That's one of them.  There's also Rated-E variants of SML 1 & 2.  However, I have a nice CIB copy of SML 2.  Doesn't mean there wasn't a pack in for SML 1 though.  Could have been a "cheap" model.

Speaking of that Rated-E variant, there's actually a 4th.  I think Splain and I both have a full set of all of the OG Link's Awakening.  I've been meaning to go through my variants and do side-by-side photo shoots to add it to my gallery, but that's a different discussion.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but thanks for mentioning this.  That little "Rated E" on the box is useful information, and I'd be a little surprised of Dr. Mario that came with this variant was a Rated KA Players Choice version.

5 hours ago, RH said:

Speaking of that Rated-E variant, there's actually a 4th.  I think Splain and I both have a full set of all of the OG Link's Awakening.  I've been meaning to go through my variants and do side-by-side photo shoots to add it to my gallery, but that's a different discussion.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but thanks for mentioning this.  That little "Rated E" on the box is useful information, and I'd be a little surprised of Dr. Mario that came with this variant was a Rated KA Players Choice version.

This must be the correct Dr. Mario then.

Also, you mentioned a 4th Link's Awakening? I'm aware of 3 for the USA market. The original (DMG-ZL-USA), the Player's Choice re-release (DMG-ZL-USA-1), and the Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket game pack-in (DMG-ZL-USA-2). What is the 4th one?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.24.34 PM.png

5 minutes ago, bluebomber said:

This must be the correct Dr. Mario then.

Also, you mentioned a 4th Link's Awakening? I'm aware of 3 for the USA market. The original (DMG-ZL-USA), the Player's Choice re-release (DMG-ZL-USA-1), and the Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket game pack-in (DMG-ZL-USA-2). What is the 4th one?

Yeah, that's the rare Dr. Mario.

I'll have to dig through my carts. The rarity of each variant goes up with each revision.  So, yes, there is definitely a DMG-ZL-USA-3.  There might even be one on eBay right now.

Regardless, I can't recall the progression, but I think it's Standard Label, KA/Players Choice, Rated-E, Rated-E/Players Choice. Those last two might be swapped, but I can never quite recall.

EDIT

Yeah, I just looked at all of the listing on eBay.  I didn't see rev-3 (which should be the Rated-E/Player's Choice variant.) . If you are a variant collector, keep your eyes open.  I've been keeping my searches open for another copy, but I'm hoping to find a CIB copy.

My gut tells me that what happened was at the end of life of the Game Boy/Game Boy Pocket, Nintendo did one final rerelease of there best sellers, which is why there's SML 1& 2, Dr. Mario and Link's Awakening.  There could be others, but no one has found them.  I'd be highly interested in a Player's Choice Baseball or Alley Way, but no one has even mentioned such a thing, so I'm sure they don't exist.

Edited by RH

5 minutes ago, RH said:

Yeah, that's the rare Dr. Mario.

I'll have to dig through my carts. The rarity of each variant goes up with each revision.  So, yes, there is definitely a DMG-ZL-USA-3.  There might even be one on eBay right now.

Regardless, I can't recall the progression, but I think it's Standard Label, KA/Players Choice, Rated-E, Rated-E/Players Choice. Those last two might be swapped, but I can never quite recall.

EDIT

Are you positive there's a DMG-ZL-USA-3? Do you have a picture? I have never seen it, and I don't know of any other releases that came out besides the ones I mentioned. I've collected the Link's Awakening variants as well, and never once came across this one. But I'd love to know if there is.

7 minutes ago, bluebomber said:

Are you positive there's a DMG-ZL-USA-3? Do you have a picture? I have never seen it, and I don't know of any other releases that came out besides the ones I mentioned. I've collected the Link's Awakening variants as well, and never once came across this one. But I'd love to know if there is.

Absolutely.  I had a gallery on Nintendo Age of all 4 variants, including board picks.  Seems that Nintendo Age has stripped the photos, I think.  Regardless, here's someone else's photo of the rev-3 variant.  Mine is in perfect condition, though.

The-Legends-of-Zelda-Links-Awakening-Pla

10 hours ago, bluebomber said:

So I am assuming that one have been in a Player's Choice box with a E instead of a KA.

Very likely.  When I was looking for the Rated E SML 2, the one I finally found was CIB and all of the parts checked out.  It had a Rated-E cart and a Rated-E box, which I'd never seen before.

There are a few of us that have discussed these variants (in fact, we brought over from NA a long discussion I'm spearheading regarding GB cartridge variants) and we have no clue where the last Zelda one came from.  Rev-2 was a pack-in with a Game Boy Pocket from Target.  That's why I keep a search open on eBay for CIB Link's Awakenings.  If I find a Rated-E box, I'm sure hoping it's going to be BIN, and unless I'm broke that month or, it's completely trashed, I'll definitely be picking it up.

Edited by RH

On 11/11/2019 at 9:57 PM, RH said:

Very likely.  When I was looking for the Rated E SML 2, the one I finally found was CIB and all of the parts checked out.  It had a Rated-E cart and a Rated-E box, which I'd never seen before.

There are a few of us that have discussed these variants (in fact, we brought over from NA a long discussion I'm spearheading regarding GB cartridge variants) and we have no clue where the last Zelda one came from.  Rev-2 was a pack-in with a Game Boy Pocket from Target.  That's why I keep a search open on eBay for CIB Link's Awakenings.  If I find a Rated-E box, I'm sure hoping it's going to be BIN, and unless I'm broke that month or, it's completely trashed, I'll definitely be picking it up.

If you ever find a rated-E box (or even a Rev-3 CIB if it isn't obviously incorrectly married), please let me know (after you buy it of course). It would help with my Zelda list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

If you ever find a rated-E box (or even a Rev-3 CIB if it isn't obviously incorrectly married), please let me know (after you buy it of course). It would help with my Zelda list.

Absolutely, and I'll likely post a photo gallery for documentation sake.

I think it's a long shot but we could get lucky.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bluebomber said:

Still looking for Dr. Mario. 

And on an off-topic note, check out what came in the mail today! A DMG-ZL-USA-3 cartridge with matching manual. Oddly enough, the box is a -1 Player’s Choice with the KA rating. 

1ADDE6A3-FE9B-4A6D-B4B0-97285DDD2476.jpeg

Ooo, cool! The box not being a -3 doesn't surprise me. The revisions were not made to all three parts at the same time. I still find it weird that I've never seen an e rated box, but maybe they never bothered. If you don't mind can you take a couple more pictures of the manual? Specifically, page 1 with the copyright info and the last page that should have a number code in the lower right. 

I'll have to dig through my records/manuals, but I have a standard, rectangular LoZ:LA manual.  I think it's a Rev-4.  I don't thin the manual in that box is correct or, rather, I don't think the game belongs with the box and manual.

This is completely speculative but since there is a later manual that is even a different design, I'm thinking the one I have went with the Rated E game.  But, who knows if the Rated E came in a box or not? I'm keeping my eyes pealed on eBay.  I've not seen any special CIBs or sealed copies for ages.  That Rated E, Rev-3 is rather hard to come by, but not as hard as some others.

Edited by RH

1 minute ago, RH said:

I'll have to dig through my records/manuals, but I have a standard, rectangular LoZ:LA manual.  I think it's a Rev-4.  I don't thin the manual in that box is correct or, rather, I don't think the game belongs with the box and manual.

This is completely speculative but since there is a later manual that is even a different design, I'm thinking the one I have went with the Rated E game.  But, who knows if the Rated E came in a box or not? I'm keeping my eyes pealed on eBay.  I've not seen any special CIBs or sealed copies for ages.  That Rated E, Rev-3 is rather hard to come by, but not has hard as some others.

I'm pretty confident that the -4 rectangular manual came with the ice blue pocket packin. I have no clue what's up with the two rated e carts though. 

5 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I'm pretty confident that the -4 rectangular manual came with the ice blue pocket packin. I have no clue what's up with the two rated e carts though. 

Well, I agree.  The whole thing is confusing.  The Target Ice Blue pack in is supposedly the Rev-2, Rated without the Greatest Hits logo.  This last, fourth revision is really a mystery that's driven me insane for to long.