IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 2!

BeaIank

12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That sounds like something @docile tapeworm would say and then post his winning score that he's been sitting on for days 5 minutes before the contest ends. 😂

Unfortunately, I was serious and just posted my single-play participation score after getting knocked off a platform in Stage 2.  If it weren't for wanting to watch the Bills/Packers game, I would probably spend a few hours trying to move up the rankings, but that wouldn't really change anything anyway, assuming PII posts any sort of score at all...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Unfortunately, I was serious and just posted my single-play participation score after getting knocked off a platform in Stage 2.  If it weren't for wanting to watch the Bills/Packers game, I would probably spend a few hours trying to move up the rankings, but that wouldn't really change anything anyway, assuming PII posts any sort of score at all...

I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't do any better, but I figured that I would knock out a quick BurgerTime score instead and get that out of the way.

12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried again yesterday and I finished with a time about 10 seconds higher than what I already have. I was hoping I could get in the 15 minute range since I think the world record is just under 11, but speedrunning just isn't something I can get into. I'd rather just play at a normal pace and enjoy the game.

I have never said this before, but this may be a good game for a low score contest. 

NOT A CONTEST PIC HERE

It's a shame those two ninjas got me.  I managed to finish 'em off pretty quick on the next life, then had a real good dopplegänger fight and finally took down Fabio with mostly jump kicks and a couple of hyper knees...

Edited by PII
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Saw the last level for the first time ever tonight. Finally got the tough jumps down a little. Not enough to hit them for a 1 life contest, but enough to progress. 

Nice win @Bearcat-Doug!!! Ill nip at your heals a bit next time

Thanks! I wasn't feeling too confident since I thought someone would be able to beat the game faster than me. Playing for a high score is a bit slow so I wasn't too sure how to speed things up outside of switching to uppercuts since I can land those without any trouble. I don't ever use the knee during high score runs so I can't pull it off with the same consistency as the spin kick and uppercut.

7 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks! I wasn't feeling too confident since I thought someone would be able to beat the game faster than me. Playing for a high score is a bit slow so I wasn't too sure how to speed things up outside of switching to uppercuts since I can land those without any trouble. I don't ever use the knee during high score runs so I can't pull it off with the same consistency as the spin kick and uppercut.

Turns out you really are a speedrunner after all.  Nice job!

Speedrunning this game, especially in a 1-life contest is brutal.  The hyper knee for killing enemies or knocking them off a ledge has gotta be just about the most unreliable move ever.  Once I learned how to perform some time saving maneuver in CastleVania or Megaman 2 I was able to do it almost every time afterword.  Not here.  I got unceremoniously tossed or knocked off of so many ledges this week it was unreal.  I was thinking of making a video compilation but I already erased a lot of the shorter videos.  I found out during level 2 that it is possible to fall down a ladder.  One of the enemies hit Billy so that he fell flat on his back and just happened to go down right on top of the ladder only to fall through it for a death.  Also, there is that spot on level 5 that @Philosoraptor mentioned.  My tactic was to just walk off that ledge and uppercut the guy on the lower level, but once I forgot and spontaneously decided to jumpkick the guy on the way down which resulted in a fall for a death.  The platforming takes a little practice but really isn't too bad.  Worst part is getting hit by an acid drip trying to jump onto the first disappearing platform in the mansion, Billy is knocked back, over the ledge but falls through for a death.  The disappearing floors, interestingly, were zero problem.  Roughest part is simply not being able to get back up/away when the big guys or ninjas have Billy locked.  The final boss being able to kill Billy in two hits can be a little tough to avoid as well especially if one is attempting a lot of hyper knees.

31 minutes ago, PII said:

Turns out you really are a speedrunner after all.  Nice job!

Speedrunning this game, especially in a 1-life contest is brutal.  The hyper knee for killing enemies or knocking them off a ledge has gotta be just about the most unreliable move ever.  Once I learned how to perform some time saving maneuver in CastleVania or Megaman 2 I was able to do it almost every time afterword.  Not here.  I got unceremoniously tossed or knocked off of so many ledges this week it was unreal.  I was thinking of making a video compilation but I already erased a lot of the shorter videos.  I found out during level 2 that it is possible to fall down a ladder.  One of the enemies hit Billy so that he fell flat on his back and just happened to go down right on top of the ladder only to fall through it for a death.  Also, there is that spot on level 5 that @Philosoraptor mentioned.  My tactic was to just walk off that ledge and uppercut the guy on the lower level, but once I forgot and spontaneously decided to jumpkick the guy on the way down which resulted in a fall for a death.  The platforming takes a little practice but really isn't too bad.  Worst part is getting hit by an acid drip trying to jump onto the first disappearing platform in the mansion, Billy is knocked back, over the ledge but falls through for a death.  The disappearing floors, interestingly, were zero problem.  Roughest part is simply not being able to get back up/away when the big guys or ninjas have Billy locked.  The final boss being able to kill Billy in two hits can be a little tough to avoid as well especially if one is attempting a lot of hyper knees.

I'm still no speedrunner, but I guess I know the game well enough to play through it quickly. I don't know what the official record is, but I saw a YouTube video of someone that finished the game in about 11 minutes.

19 hours ago, PII said:

NOT A CONTEST PIC HERE

It's a shame those two ninjas got me.  I managed to finish 'em off pretty quick on the next life, then had a real good dopplegänger fight and finally took down Fabio with mostly jump kicks and a couple of hyper knees...

DDII Finish.png

I also use jump kicks on the final boss. It's slow but effective.

I messed up the ninja fight in my deathless run, but I still managed to have around three health for the doppelganger which was enough. Thankfully the doppelganger fight is pretty easy. I like to use hyper uppercuts on him.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I also use jump kicks on the final boss. It's slow but effective.

I messed up the ninja fight in my deathless run, but I still managed to have around three health for the doppelganger which was enough. Thankfully the doppelganger fight is pretty easy. I like to use hyper uppercuts on him.

Doppelgänger is def. the easiest part of the final onslaught.  Jumpkick, whirlwind, hyperknee in that order for me.  One of the Ninjas actually took himself out by jumping off the bottom edge during my last run.  I know it's possible to manipulate them into doing that but I have little to no idea how exactly.  Trying to take out the final boss with hyper knees without being a pro at hyper knees is a great way to get killed in two hits...

• The topic was unpinned