IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 2!

BeaIank

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've finished both games once. Just like with Battletoads, I finished them for the sake of being able to say that I did it, but I have no real desire to do it again.

What is it about Ninja Gaiden 3 that you dislike? Some dislike the floatier jumping and limited continues.

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Have you beat DD2 before?

DD3 is usually considered the hardest, but it's probably DD2. Most of DD3's difficulty is the final boss. DD2 is much harder overall.

I did beat DD2 once years ago, but if I remember correctly, I used the flying knee move like 90% of the time.  And I haven't beaten DD1 or DD3, so for me DD2 is the easiest as of right now...

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I did beat DD2 once years ago, but if I remember correctly, I used the flying knee move like 90% of the time.  And I haven't beaten DD1 or DD3, so for me DD2 is the easiest as of right now...

If you can beat the game, you should be able to beat my time. I just can't get into the speedrunning thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

First time playing this one, and I got to the first screen of mission 6 on my first try. Sadly everything disappeared too quickly for me to take a picture. I tried again and got a little further. I also learned from my first mistake; here's a screencap of the video I took of my final moments. I figured out how to do a flying-kick-to-uppercut combo and stuck with that as long as I could. Ultimately, the platforming did me in, but I had more fun than I expected when fighting.

It looks like you played until your last life and it's a one-life contest. I figured I'd give you a heads up before you got another run in.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:34 AM, mbd39 said:

Everyone make sure you're playing on Supreme Master as you can't fight the final boss and beat the game otherwise. I couldn't find it in the rules and some might not know.

I know you said you were looking forward to playing against me in a high score contest so here's something for you to shoot for after you get your score in for the contest.

20221026_101236.jpg.7b1b47adfc49d28367ec95f01d70c4d9.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really rusty. I no-deathed it to the clone fight before the final boss though. But I want to beat the game before posting anything.

My biggest problem is that I can't get the timing of the hyper uppercut to work every time. I think you have to press the button as soon as you land from a jump but the timing is very precise. And if you mess up it leaves you open to take a lot of damage.

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I'm really rusty. I no-deathed it to the clone fight before the final boss though. But I want to beat the game before posting anything.

My biggest problem is that I can't get the timing of the hyper uppercut to work every time. I think you have to press the button as soon as you land from a jump but the timing is very precise. And if you mess up it leaves you open to take a lot of damage.

I'm actually a bit rusty too. I lost two lives on that high score run making the jump at the beginning of the Mansion of Terror and any other time I can jump right across without any trouble. I should have been over 161k, but I accidentally hit a couple of jump kicks instead of the spin kicks which cost me around 1500-2000 points.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm actually a bit rusty too. I lost two lives on that high score run making the jump at the beginning of the Mansion of Terror and any other time I can jump right across without any trouble. I should have been over 161k, but I accidentally hit a couple of jump kicks instead of the spin kicks which cost me around 1500-2000 points.

I like to take it slow at the mansion and gears. One reason why I don't even want to try for a speedrun.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

I like to take it slow at the mansion and gears. One reason why I don't even want to try for a speedrun.

I think I could clean some things up and at least get in the 15 minute range, but it's tough to readjust my entire playing style for speed when I've been conditioned to going for a high score. I did discover that it's possible to beat my old 164,500 personal best without doing any illegal point pressing, but I would have to find my old scoring chart and play test it for each enemy all over again to find the true highest possible score and I just don't have the time or energy to do it. I already beat the Twin Galaxies record by over 5000 points so it kind of kills my motiviation to try and get maybe 2000-2500 extra points.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

but I would have to find my old scoring chart and play test it for each enemy all over again to find the true highest possible score and I just don't have the time or energy to do it. 

You handwrote a scoring strats chart for each enemy? Thats crazy dedication. Wish I could put that kind of effort into anything not related to work

27 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

You handwrote a scoring strats chart for each enemy? Thats crazy dedication. Wish I could put that kind of effort into anything not related to work

Actually @arch_8ngel made the chart during the 2014 contest. I play tested it and corrected a few mistakes. We finally settled on 164,500 as being a "perfect" no point racking score. Later on I found that some of the enemies could take additional damage beyond what was on the chart, but I never did get around to documenting updates for each enemy.

18 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Actually @arch_8ngel made the chart during the 2014 contest. I play tested it and corrected a few mistakes. We finally settled on 164,500 as being a "perfect" no point racking score. Later on I found that some of the enemies could take additional damage beyond what was on the chart, but I never did get around to documenting updates for each enemy.

That is straight up crazy, in an awesome way. Unrelated, if I lose to skinny, Im blaming you. Im starting burrow, mixon, and chase