Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Double Dragon 2!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

Events Team · Posted

It is a time for violence. It is a time for strength.
Worthy players, prove you have both by conquering Double Dragon 2 the fastest you can!

Rules the streets by following the guidelines below:

  • Play till you die the 1st time
  • Pause the game and take your picture when you die or beat the Mysterious Warrior
  • If you beat the game, consider recording a video of your run or post the timer screenshot to show your time for tie break reasons.
  • If you beat the game and doesn't post your video/timer, your time will be considered 59 minutes and 59 seconds.
  • Progress win, with lowest time to beat the game as a tie break.
  • Use the maps at https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/DoubleDragonII-TheRevenge-Maps.png to assess progress
  • If you beat the game, stop the timer when you kill the Mysterious warrior.
  • Participation: Get past the 1st screen of the game
  • Genre: Beat'em up

@PII has a 5 points lead over @Dr. Morbis in the Beat'em up genre, so he needs at least a 2nd place finish to secure this year's Beat'em up crown!

The contest ends Sunday, 10/30/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
1st Bearcat-Doug Game beaten - 18:53
2nd mbd39 Game beaten - 59:59
3rd PII Stage 09 - 59:59
4th 8bitdontquit Stage 07 - 59:59
5th NESfiend Stage 06 - 59:59
5th Krunch Stage 06 - 59:59
7th Philosoraptor Stage 05 - 59:59
7th TWarwick07 Stage 05 - 59:59
9th docile tapeworm Stage 04 - 59:59
10th Dr. Morbis Stage 02 - 59:59
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm counting on you @mbd39, I need some seperation between myself and PII... 😉

SCORE EDIT - All I had time for was this gorgeous participation score.  Some dude knocked me off the platform right at the chopper on STAGE 02:

 

DDII-1.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
23 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm counting on you @mbd39, I need some seperation between myself and PII... 😉

Anyway, reserved for score...

Have you beat DD2 before?

DD3 is usually considered the hardest, but it's probably DD2. Most of DD3's difficulty is the final boss. DD2 is much harder overall.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Have you beat DD2 before?

DD3 is usually considered the hardest, but it's probably DD2. Most of DD3's difficulty is the final boss. DD2 is much harder overall.

 

I think this one is the easiest. I'd go 3, 1, 2 as far as difficulty goes. The special moves make this one easier IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I think this one is the easiest. I'd go 3, 1, 2 as far as difficulty goes. The special moves make this one easier IMO.

The platforming in DD2 adds to the difficulty, and the enemy gauntlet in the last level can be pretty tough even with the special moves. If the fight with the four ninjas before the final bosses gets out of hand it's horrible.

I think the first game is the easiest except for the wall and there are strats for that. The elbow is overpowered and easy to spam.

 

Edited by mbd39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mbd39 said:

The platforming in DD2 adds to the difficulty, and the enemy gauntlet in the last level can be pretty tough even with the special moves. If the fight with the four ninjas before the final bosses gets out of hand you can easily lose some lives.

I think the first game is the easiest except for the wall and there are strats for that. The elbow is overpowered and easy to do.

 

You have the boss rush at the end of the first one along with having to fight Willy and Jimmy back to back. You can stand in the middle of the screen and easily spin kick the ninjas at the end of DD2. They only start jumping all over when you aren't on the same horizontal plane as them. I'll agree with you on the difficulty of the brick wall in Double Dragon being overrated. I can jump right past it and get hit once at worst.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You have the boss rush at the end of the first one along with having to fight Willy and Jimmy back to back. You can stand in the middle of the screen and easily spin kick the ninjas at the end of DD2. They only start jumping all over when you aren't on the same horizontal plane as them. I'll agree with you on the difficulty of the brick wall in Double Dragon being overrated. I can jump right past it and get hit once at worst.

Someone figured out a strat to never get hit by the wall.

 

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Another difference between DD1 and DD2 is that the special moves in DD2 require some skill and timing to consistently pull off.  I don't know if it's nerves or what, but sometimes when I need to do a spin kick or other move, it doesn't want to work. The elbow in DD1 requires no skill.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Another difference between DD1 and DD2 is that the special moves in DD2 require some skill and timing to consistently pull off.  I don't know if it's nerves or what, but sometimes when I need to do a spin kick or other move, it doesn't want to work. The elbow in DD1 requires no skill.

 

I can do the spin kick and uppercut without any trouble. I never could get the knee down, but I'm used to playing for a high score, so I never use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I can do the spin kick and uppercut without any trouble. I never could get the knee down, but I'm used to playing for a high score, so I never use it.

Sometimes I can keep doing spin kicks no problem. Other times in the heat of battle I can't do it.

The timing for spin kicks seems to be more forgiving in DD3.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mbd39 said:

Sometimes I can keep doing spin kicks no problem. Other times in the heat of battle I can't do it.

The timing for spin kicks seems to be more forgiving in DD3.

 

I don't care for Chin and Ranzou. If I lose both Lee brothers, I might as well just hit the reset button. Marion/Cleopatra is also one of the toughest final bosses in any NES game. I can clear the first two games on one life without much trouble, but DD3 gives me fits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
18 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't care for Chin and Ranzou. If I lose both Lee brothers, I might as well just hit the reset button. Marion/Cleopatra is also one of the toughest final bosses in any NES game. I can clear the first two games on one life without much trouble, but DD3 gives me fits.

Chin is strong as hell though. A few of his punches will take out most enemies. His only issue us that he's so slow.

I used Ranzou to beat Marion in the DD3 contest. He's actually pretty good against her. I also use him for the platforming at the start of the last level.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, mbd39 said:

Did you switch DD2 and Burgertime?

 

 

On 10/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, BeaIank said:

Considering the plans I have for the tournament, this was the best thing to do.

The originally scheduled Double Dragon II high score contest must be the finals of the tournament. I don't even know if I qualify for the tournament since the top 6 on the leaderboard have separated themselves from the pack, but I wouldn't be against it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Chin is strong as hell though. A few of his punches will take out most enemies. His only issue us that he's so slow.

I used Ranzou to beat Marion in the DD3 contest. He's actually pretty good against her. I also use him for the platforming at the start of the last level.

 

I just don't care for the game honestly. If I put the time into it, I'm sure that I'd be better. I'm not good at Ninja Gaiden 3 either and I attribute that to it being my least favorite entry in the franchise so I've played it quite a bit less than the first two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just don't care for the game honestly. If I put the time into it, I'm sure that I'd be better. I'm not good at Ninja Gaiden 3 either and I attribute that to it being my least favorite entry in the franchise so I've played it quite a bit less than the first two.

I'm not a fan of DD3 either. The contest was the second time I beat it, and I don't plan on playing again for a long time.

I do like Ninja Gaiden 3. I like al three, but the first is my favorite. I think the first is the most fun to play despite not being as polished.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I'm not a fan of DD3 either. The contest was the second time I beat it, and I don't plan on playing again for a long time.

I do like Ninja Gaiden 3. I like al three, but the first is my favorite. I think the first is the most fun to play despite not being as polished.

 

I've finished both games once. Just like with Battletoads, I finished them for the sake of being able to say that I did it, but I have no real desire to do it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...