IGNORED

VGS Bingo 2022 [ENDED]

ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted

@Hybrid@Splain@ninjistar@Reed Rothchild@0xDEAFC0DE@JamesRobot@Adorabear@CasualCart@Hammerfestus@Deadeye@KokiriChild@Jicsan@Gaia Gensouki@DefaultGen@Jeevan@drxandy@SailorScoutMandy@spacepup@ZeldaFan042@BattySalem@PII@GPX@Avgn Gamer@LutherDestroysTheGond@NESfiend@Gloves@NintendoTwizer@nesmaster14@BirdDogGaming@FireHazard51@Rhapsody98@darkchylde28@Mega Tank@Red@BortLicensePlate

Welcome to the first of many new events we have in store for you all:

VGS BINGO 2022!

2068690400_VGSBingo2022Sheet.png.dedf2f200ee4f03ac68cc633186138eb.png

So, for those of you who have participated in the first Bingo event back in 2020, you all pretty much know the drill by now. But, for those of you who didn't (or for those who just need to have their memories jogged a bit,) here's how all of this works! On that bingo card up there are a series of challenges. Your goal is to complete as many of those challenges as you can. Pretty much as simple as that!

Each tile on the card corresponds to the name of a challenge in the list below. Complete a challenge to fill in the corresponding tile. Complete enough challenges to earn a Charm!

There are actually a number of Charms available, in a tiered fashion. Each tier up replaces the Charm before it:

T1: Line
        Complete a single full line, the classic BINGO!
    T2: Cross
        Complete two lines to create a Cross/"X"
        I would also accept a "T" (or any other similar pattern)
    T3: Lattice
        Complete four horizontal or vertical lines which all connect at some point
    T4: Blackout
        Complete the entire board

In addition, just like Bingo 2020, there are a number of SECRET CHARMS you can acquire! Unlike the tiered Charms above, it IS possible to earn ALL of the secret charms. How do you acquire these secret charms, you may ask? Well, that's for you to find out, and for me to not definitively say one way or another, wouldn't be very secret if I told you. 😉

There is a separate Submissions Thread where you may post any tiles you have completed. For each tile submission, make a post (or update an existing post) in that thread, with the name of the tile(s) you're completing, alongside whatever prerequisite proof is required for that tile. For instance, if a challenge is to beat a particular game, you may have to post a photo of the end of the game as evidence, with a slip of paper somewhere in the photo showing your VGS username. Refer to the individual challenges in the list below for what proof is required for any given challenge.

Also, note that tiles do not stack. That is to say if you at any point meet the requirements for multiple tiles at the same time, it can only count for one tile or the other. For instance, if you have an N64 controller with a custom paint job that also has, say, a modified analog stick, it can only count for either Fresh Coat of Paint OR New and Improved, it cannot count for both. Which one it counts for in this scenario is entirely up to you.

This event will last from now until 10/24/2022 at 12 AM EST, a tiny bit over 1 week from now. Once we make it past that deadline, that'll be the cutoff point for new submissions, I'll tally everyone's tiles up and see how you all did!

A few last point of clarification in regards to the challenges below:
Retroactive = If you've already done it/already acquired the item in question (etc) before this event began, it still counts for that challenge, though proof will still be required.
Not retroactive = You must have done it/acquired the item in question (etc) AFTER this event began.
Any challenges that require you to beat or otherwise play a game have the standard rules you would expect: No save states, cheat codes, slow motion, turbo controllers, etc are allowed.
Lastly, take note of which challenges only require a screenshot, and which require an actual photo, as some require photos, and for others just screenshots are fine.

Now then, with all that said and done...

---CHALLENGE LIST---

Across the Pond - Show off an item in your collection that is from a different country than the one you live in

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of any gaming-related item you own that was released, or otherwise came out in a different country than the one you live in, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Retroactive

Casual Art - Create a pixel art drawing of another VGS user's profile picture

• Requirements:
  1. Minimum 30x30 pixels size
  2. Post a screenshot of the art, and explain who's profile picture you chose to recreate
  3. Not retroactive

Clean as a Whistle - Clean a game, console, or controller you own that's incredibly dirty, making it look far better afterwards

• Requirements:
  1. Post before & after photos with your VGS username visible somewhere within both photos
  2. You must be the one to have cleaned the game/console/controller
  3. Not Retroactive

Cross Your Heart - Beat a classic Castlevania game

• Requirements:
  1. Beat any of the games from the list below, and post a photo of the endscreen/credits of the game, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Spoiler
    • Castlevania
    • Vampire Killer
    • Haunted Castle
    • Castlevania: The Adventure
    • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
    • Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
    • Super Castlevania IV
    • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
    • Castlevania: Bloodlines
    • Castlevania: Dracula X
    • Castlevania Legends
    • Castlevania Chronicles
    • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
    • Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
  3. Not retroactive

Diamond in the Rough - Write a review blog on a game you like from a series you otherwise dislike

• Requirements:
  1. Post the blog in the Blogs section of VGS, then post a link to the blog
  2. Series in question must have a minimum of 3 games in it to count, including the game you like
  3. Not retroactive

Done Deal - Participate in a trade on VGS

• Requirements:
  1. Must specifically be a trade, meaning you trade one item for another with another user
  2. @ the person you make the deal with
  3. They must "Like" your post, and you must like theirs
  4. I'll be keeping an eye out for some FEEDBACK for both parties!
  5. You do not have to ship out the item ahead of time to complete this challenge, so long as both parties have agreed to the trade in question, and both posts have been liked by the other member
  6. ...Although, with that said, please do actually follow through with the transaction and don't just cancel it after the event is done, haha
  7. Not retroactive

Fresh Coat of Paint - Show off a console or controller you own that has a custom paint job

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of any console or controller you own with a custom paint job, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. You do not have to have painted it yourself
  3. Retroactive

Game Night - Play a game online with at least 1 other VGS user

• Requirements:
  1. Play any multiplayer game with another VGS user. Minimum of 2+ people, for 1+ hour(s)
  2. At least one of you needs to post a photo of the screen with some manner of proof that at least 2 people got together to play a game. This could be, for instance, the pre-game lobby in Mario Kart
  3. Not retroactive

Genesis Does - Beat a Sega Genesis game

• Requirements:
  1. Beat any officially released Sega Genesis game, and post a photo of the endscreen/credits of the game, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Not retroactive

Glamour Shot - Take a stylized, over the top photo of a console you own that was released in 1990 or earlier

• Requirements:
  1. The photo must be stylized in such a way that it looks like a staged promotional product shot, or as if the console is a model. Ham it up as much as humanly possible, get creative!
  2. Retroactive

Good as New - Show off a game, console, or controller you own that has been repaired by you after previously being non-functional

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the fixed item with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo. Explain what was broken, and what you did to fix it
  2. The game/console/controller must have been disassembled, fixed, then reassembled for it to count
  3. You must have been the one to repair the item in question
  4. Retroactive

Homegrown - Show off a physical copy of a homebrew game you own that was made by a member(s) of VGS, or that was created in partnership with VGS

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the game with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo. Explain who the creator(s) of the game are
  2. Retroactive

How Charming - Claim a charm on VGS

• Requirements:
  1. Post a screenshot of whichever charm you claimed, and explain what you did to claim it
  2. Not retroactive

It Belongs in a Museum - Show off an item in your collection that was never officially released. IE prototype, not for resale game, unreleased game, etc

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the item with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Item in question must not have been initially released to the general public in any way. This includes retail releases, giveaways, promotions, bundles, etc
  3. Retroactive

It's Dangerous to Go Alone - Complete a swordless run of The Legend of Zelda

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of you in the Ganon boss fight room, without a sword in your inventory, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. You may not pick up ANY of the three swords in the game (Wooden Sword, White Sword, Magical Sword) at any point in your run
  3. You must make it to Ganon. Making it to Ganon will end the run, as you cannot beat him without a sword
  4. Not retroactive

New and Improved - Show off a console or controller you own that has been intentionally physically modified in some way. IE different analog sticks, new backlight/frontlight, etc

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the modified item in question with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Item must have had an original part replaced with a noticeably different part, such as an improved analog stick or d-pad, or have had something brand new added to it, such as a backlight when it previously did not have one
  3. Item must still be functional
  4. An item that has only had something removed from it without it being replaced will not count, since then you could just take a chunk out of the item and technically that would still count, haha. It must have had a part(s) either replaced, or a brand new part(s) added to it
  5. You do not have to have been the one to modify the item
  6. Retroactive

NINTENDO SIXTY-FOOOUUUR - Submit a game to the Beat Every N64 Game - 2022 thread on VGS

• Requirements:
  1. Share the post in the thread showcasing which game you beat
  2. Not retroactive

Pew - Create a basic Shoot 'Em Up game

• Requirements:
  1. At least one screen or level
  2. Must be in control of a ship or character of some kind, which can move and attack enemies in some way
  3. Must be at least one type of enemy which attacks or is otherwise harmful to the player in some way, which can be killed by the player, and which continually spawns in
  4. Must be either a final boss enemy or large wave of enemies that appears after a certain period of time, OR the game must have a scoring system of some kind
  5. Once the game is complete, either post the file for the game itself, or record a video of you playing the game in its entirety and post that video
  6. Not Retroactive

Pixels > Polygons - Create an 8-bit or 16-bit sprite of any character from a 3D game

• Requirements:
  1. Post a screenshot of the sprite, and an example of the character which you portrayed in pixel art form
  2. Character's sprite must be identifiable in some way, if it's a completely featureless, unidentifiable stick figure then I'm gonna ask you to try again, haha
  3. Not Retroactive

Pr0fe55i0na1 H4ck3r - Alter the code of an already existing game to display your VGS username on the title screen instead of the title of the game

• Requirements:
  1. Original game must have been officially released
  2. Username does not have to be in the same style as the original title, however the original title/logo of the game must not be visible whatsoever
  3. Post a photo of the modified game's title screen, and explain which game you modified
  4. Not Retroactive

Reimagined - Modify an existing song from a video game to be in a completely different musical style to the original. IE if a song has a lighthearted happy feel to it, modify it to have a darker, more serious tone, but still be identifiable as the same song

• Requirements:
  1. The song can either be modified from the original, or it can be remade from the ground up, so long as it's still identifiable as the same song, but with a distinctly different style
  2. Post the audio file for the modified song, or a link to the modified song, and explain which song you chose to modify
  3. Not Retroactive

Supportive - Be a VGS subscriber

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of your active subscription in the Subscriptions section of VGS, with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo
  2. Retroactive

Souvenir - Share your favorite item in your collection related to a specific game or franchise that isn't, itself, a game. This could be a poster, book, figurine, etc

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the item with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo, and explain why it's your favorite item
  2. Retroactive

Tools of the Trade - Show off a tool or set of tools you have used to clean, repair, or modify a game, console, or controller in the past

• Requirements:
  1. Post a photo of the tool(s) with your VGS username visible somewhere within the photo, and explain what you used the tool(s) for
  2. Retroactive

What If - Re-create the logo of a 16-bit game, but in a completely different style/font to the original

• Requirements:
  1. Minimum 40x40 pixels size
  2. Post a screenshot of the art, and explain which logo you chose to modify, and in what way
  3. Not Retroactive
  • Like 3

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, RH said:

Can the Homegrown charm also work for an old NA member?

I ask because I have a copy of Holly Jolly NES Mix and I think that would be covered.  I don’t have anything else.

It’s cool if it doesn’t count but I figured I ask before posting it.

I went back and forth on this as I was coming up with the challenges, but in the end I decided that if you want to submit a game made by a member of the community for that challenge, then they must have (or at least had at one point) a VGS account for it to count, so if they never had a VGS account then no, that wouldn't qualify. Sorry!

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jicsan said:

How can I get my username and the subscriber tier in the same screen shot?  Take a picture off another screen maybe?

You can just take a picture of your monitor with your username written down on a piece of paper in the corner of the photo or something along those lines, anything that works.

• Thanks 1

For "Fresh Coat of Paint", it only mentions console or controller.  I have a cart with a custom paint job that I made myself that I used when making a cart for my Everdrive64 (I bought all of my Everdrives back when they came board only, and you had to provide your own carts).  Would this count?

9 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I went back and forth on this as I was coming up with the challenges, but in the end I decided that if you want to submit a game made by a member of the community for that challenge, then they must have (or at least had at one point) a VGS account for it to count, so if they never had a VGS account then no, that wouldn't qualify. Sorry!

I appreciate that.  I might post my game but also ask the community if it counts.  I know it was distributed through NA and I bought it over there.  I have no clue who made it and if they transitioned over here, even if it was just to make an account.

Events Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Gloves said:

@ZeldaFreak @RH

Everyone involved in that game has a VGS account: 

Well then good news @RH, that actually would indeed count! I'm not familiar with that cart so I just kinda had to take his word for it that the people who made it were old NA members who didn't make the switch to VGS, haha.

16 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

For "Fresh Coat of Paint", it only mentions console or controller.  I have a cart with a custom paint job that I made myself that I used when making a cart for my Everdrive64 (I bought all of my Everdrives back when they came board only, and you had to provide your own carts).  Would this count?

That would not count, gotta stick to the criteria for the challenges. Sorry!

I don't really understand the rules for It Belongs in a Museum and what exactly would fit in there. For example, there are not for resale games, that actually saw physical releases. I guess demo or rental versions, that are not for resale are also not eligible?

And as for How Charming, it has to be a new charm, that we claim within this week, right? Because it says "Not retroactive". Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I've been wondering if there's maybe a secret charm for beating all of those Castlevania games within this week. I'm tempted to at least try it.