IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Top Gun!

BeaIank

I just thought of something: what if you're on your last man and you take out the final target but botch the landing afterwards and die?  That would mean you accomplished your mission and "saved your country" but didn't make it back alive, so it's game over because you ran out of men.  In that particular instance this screen would make sense since it shouldn't be a standard game over when you did actually take out all your targets and complete the mission.  So my final theory is that the white screen was created to cover this one particular instance, but they either coded how it gets triggered wrong, or decided later to tie it to the high score so it would actually be seen by more than five people in the next thirty years...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I just thought of something: what if you're on your last man and you take out the final target but botch the landing afterwards and die?  That would mean you accomplished your mission and "saved your country" but didn't make it back alive, so it's game over because you ran out of men.  In that particular instance this screen would make sense since it shouldn't be a standard game over when you did actually take out all your targets and complete the mission.  So my final theory is that the white screen was created to cover this one particular instance, but they either coded how it gets triggered wrong, or decided later to tie it to the high score so it would actually be seen by more than five people in the next thirty years...

The one time I lost my last life botching the landing after blowing up the space shuttle I was so aggravated that I reset the console instantly I never did see the Top Gun message. My other guess is that it could be meant as an ending since the game loops and they expect you to keep playing until game over even after you beat the game.

5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

My other guess is that it could be meant as an ending since the game loops and they expect you to keep playing until game over even after you beat the game.

Well then they should have set it to only trigger after you've beat the four missions once, or make it high enough that you can't get the high score without beating the four missions first, so like 100k.

I also find it interesting that it's tied to the current high score rather than the default high score.  So if you play the game more than once, you have to beat your own best score to get that screen to show up rather than just having to hit 50k every time.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well then they should have set it to only trigger after you've beat the four missions once, or make it high enough that you can't get the high score without beating the four missions first, so like 100k.

I also find it interesting that it's tied to the current high score rather than the default high score.  So if you play the game more than once, you have to beat your own best score to get that screen to show up rather than just having to hit 50k every time.

The rules say that if you beat the game you can get a game over to get your score, but I wasn't totally sure if that meant to lose the rest of your lives on purpose or play the second loop until game over, so I just took my picture at the end of mission 4 to be safe and still didn't get to see the white screen. They should have saved it for the ending since it makes more sense than a cut scene of the plane coming to a stop and the pilot just sitting there waving. They could have literally used the ending for the cutscene when you successfully land the plane. I guess they thought that landing the plane is such an accomplishment that they would show it again as a bonus for the ending. It's like saying, "sure you beat the game, but the toughest thing you had to learn was how to land the plane and you did it!!". 

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Got a few runs in this morning to no avail. Never got to even see the last mission

Great score @Bearcat-Doug

Pretty sure you've got this one locked 🔒

I hope so, just based on the fact that I've never finished better than 2nd in a shooter contest. There's still a chance that @docile tapeworm or @Dr. Morbis beat my score since they are going for the shooter championship.

7 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They could have literally used the ending for the cutscene when you successfully land the plane.

Actually, if you check out the Famicom version on youtube, they have a graphic of the side of the plane on the Mission Accomplished screen that's displayed after every mission, and it paints red stars across the fuselage for how many kills you made during the mission.  It's a nice little bit of flair that I don't know why they would have removed it from the US version.  Also, the Jap version is entirely in English, so why change anything other than "F you, Round Eyes!"  Unless it's a custom mapper that NOA didn't allow or something, but 1987 seems a tad early for that...

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually, if you check out the Famicom version on youtube, they have a graphic of the side of the plane on the Mission Accomplished screen that's displayed after every mission, and it paints red stars across the fuselage for how many kills you made during the mission.  It's a nice little bit of flair that I don't know why they would have removed it from the US version.  Also, the Jap version is entirely in English, so why change anything other than "F you, Round Eyes!"  Unless it's a custom mapper that NOA didn't allow or something, but 1987 seems a tad early for that...

The Famicom version also has music during the gameplay and silence during the refueling sequence completely opposite of the NES version.

• Wow! 1

On 10/15/2022 at 8:49 AM, docile tapeworm said:

I’m just not very good at this game. Those fucking missiles man! Wth some of them I can shoot. I try to fly away from others but they just stay on the screen and hit me. By the time I get to the boats/subs that take two missiles to destroy I only have one life left and never make it through. I’ve probably put a good 4-5 hours in on this stage in the last month and a half and I’m just stuck. F it. Wasn’t meant to be. I have worn the crown twice. Tied once and give you all you can handle without trying 😁.

So you're sitting on a 150k score, right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

No pause button, no problem! I'm pretty sure this is what @docile tapeworm uses.

depend_fit-flex_maximum_for_men.jpg

I’m not gonna lie. I’m extremely jealous of my 8 month old son when he drops a huge load right at the dinner table, gives a look like “that feels better” and continues to eat….

I get the depends that make it look bigger in the front though.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I’m not gonna lie. I’m extremely jealous of my 8 month old son when he drops a huge load right at the dinner table, gives a look like “that feels better” and continues to eat….

I get the depends that make it look bigger in the front though.

Put one of these in the front. Not only will it make you look bigger, it's extra absorbent. That way the next time you go to Hooters to watch football you won't have to get up during the game and lose your spot at the bar!

GUEST_557a72bd-0eac-48c2-9f97-44f6cd624c

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Love 1