IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Top Gun!

BeaIank

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

So the condition for that screen looks like it's beat the hi-score but don't beat the game.  Weird....

I also wonder if there's a typo. It says you "saved your country with honor and courage". Wouldn't "served your country" make more sense? I mean, how do you save your country by getting a high score and not finishing the mission?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Died midway through level 3 , i assume it's because score is over 50.  @Bearcat-Dougany chance you remember your score when you beat it?

I just finished the game again, but I somehow missed the landing on Mission 3 even though it looked like everything was right. My score would have been in the same ballpark had I made all of the landings.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

I hope you put it down as a yearly completion.  Too lazy to check if you did.  

I will assume u have and no longer care to try.  Also just lost power soooooo..

Temper Tantrum GIFfyi. Been 10 years since i lost power at this property.       I'm taking it as a sign ☢️

Edited by 8bitdontquit

45 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

I hope you put it down as a yearly completion.  Too lazy to check if you did.  

I will assume u have and no longer care to try.  Also just lost power soooooo..

fyi. Been 10 years since i lost power at this property.       I'm taking it as a sign ☢️

I made sure to post it in the beat every NES game thread. I actually don't think this is a bad game and I didn't have a great attempt since I missed landing the plane on Mission 3, but I probably am done with it for the week even though a 100k+ score would look better than what I've got.

• Like 1

@8bitdontquit I got 103k this morning, but I missed the landing after blowing up the space shuttle. I was so mad, I couldn't even get a picture in time. I may have to try again after all. In my 11 years of playing in the contests, I've never finished higher than 2nd in a shooter or puzzle contest. God knows that I'm never going to win a puzzle contest, but this might be my best chance at a shooter win.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Would love to see @Dr. Morbisjust left field this one

Well I don' know if the ol' Grin-meister is playing possum or not, so I've got to try my best.  I haven't had much time to play yet, but I did get to the Mission 3 boss on my second attempt last night.  Hopefully on the weekend...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33,000 on stage 2.

Depending on whether I want to play more of it this weekend, this might be it.

qCnyP10m.jpg

I've owned Top Gun ever since I was a kid, but I didn't like it much and I wasn't good at it. I'm still not. However, I popped it in and landed on the aircraft carrier last year, which is the first time anyone in my family had done so. My older brother was super excited.

I like it more now than I did as a kid, that's for sure.

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, 8bitdontquit said:

Doubtful I'll have time to even see the 4th (top secret) mission as the weekend are to hectic to try to actually compete..  That being said

I will try to top(gun) @Bearcat-Doug🐻

Would love to see @Dr. Morbisjust left field this one

I finally finished the game with all four landing bonuses so I'm definitely done now.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 10/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I don' know if the ol' Grin-meister is playing possum or not, so I've got to try my best.  I haven't had much time to play yet, but I did get to the Mission 3 boss on my second attempt last night.  Hopefully on the weekend...

I’m just not very good at this game. Those fucking missiles man! Wth some of them I can shoot. I try to fly away from others but they just stay on the screen and hit me. By the time I get to the boats/subs that take two missiles to destroy I only have one life left and never make it through. I’ve probably put a good 4-5 hours in on this stage in the last month and a half and I’m just stuck. F it. Wasn’t meant to be. I have worn the crown twice. Tied once and give you all you can handle without trying 😁.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Not looking good for me brother lol. I got one play in on Monday and my weekend is pretty much booked. I don’t even have a score yet.

I thought you might push me with a late weekend score. I'm probably going to watch football all weekend, but I don't think I would be able to top my current score anyway.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:10 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I imagine that you and @8bitdontquit will give me a run for my money. I got a really good attempt in, but I still left some points out there.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug