IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Top Gun!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome ACES! Are you ready to take on a very dangerous mission which will rely on your flying skills? The stakes are HIGH for this one, for @docile tapeworm and @Dr. Morbis are fighting neck and neck for the 2022 Shooter championship, with Pii a bit far away, but still with the chance to take it.

Even though there is no rules for ACES, here's the rules for this week:

• Play till you game over or till you beat the game
  • If you beat the game, you can game over to take the picture at the high score screen with your highest score, since the highscore screen at the end of the mission stays for too short of a time.
  • Take your picture at the high score screen
  • Participation: You must beat mission 1
  • Highest score wins

The contest ends Sunday, 10/16/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Time to play this game for the first time ever.

SCORE EDIT #1 - First try, don't know what I'm doing: 20,500

SCORE EDIT #2 - I didn't beat the game on this run, but I did make it to Mission 4: 72,800

SCORE EDIT #3 - First time beating the game: 103,800

TG-4.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I played for a few hours a couple different times and can’t get passed the second mission. I forfeit 🏳

I've beaten it for the complete every NES game thread before, so you've got this!

30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nooooo...  Goose!!!! 😞

I looked up Adaml's game ending faq and apparantly there are only four missions total, so you're already half way!

The missions are kinda long. It takes around 25 minutes to finish the game from what I remember.

90,500   (Well, I made it to beginning of the week Bear-Cat level, and that makes me feel pretty good)

71,800    [obsolete]    (Glad I can at least cross this one off my No-Death list)

54,200    [obsolete]

19,000    [obsolete]   (Gotta start somewhere, and successfully landing the plane seems like a fine enough spot to me)

Edited by PII
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Nooooo...  Goose!!!! 😞

I looked up Adaml's game ending faq and apparantly there are only four missions total, so you're already half way!

@docile tapeworm is crafty. He said he couldn't get past the "second mission" which is the title of the sequel. He's probably trying to trick you and has already beaten this game!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 8bitdontquit said:

I and almost every one of my friends had this game and I've never seen this before. Now I'm motivated to beat this damn game. Thanks to the weekly comp!1695332626_IMG_20221011_1839486752.jpg.288ba09210f9d4936b0fef91e57f3370.jpg

I've never seen that screen before either. When I beat the game, it just showed the plane landing on the aircraft carrier and played the Top Gun theme. Maybe that's something you get for beating the 50,000 point default high score.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

From AdamL's ending FAQ:

One other cool item of note is that you can get something that is definitely cooler than the ending you get for beating the game. If you score over 50000 points but end up dying completing the game, a screen will appear upon losing your last ship that says TOP GUN CONGRATULATIONS, LIEUTENANT! YOU HAVE SAVED YOUR COUNTRY WITH HONOR & COURAGE. YOU ARE ONE OF THE ELITE NOW - THE BEST OF THE BEST. AND WE ARE PROUD TO BESTOW UPON YOU THE DESIGNATION OF TOP GUN. It is a white screen showing 2 American flags, Golden Wings, a Top Gun badge, your high score and the Konami logo. Pretty cool for not even beating the game. Gotta wonder why they just didn't slap that at the end of the game.

Now, maybe the dying requirement isn't part of it, as AdamL is known for manipulating hex addresses and other cheats to find the true "end" of games.  It's happened before that things have been found playing the games legit that are missed when editing the code.  I'm guessing it's for scoring over 50K and the dying part was just a coincidence.

40 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

From AdamL's ending FAQ:

One other cool item of note is that you can get something that is definitely cooler than the ending you get for beating the game. If you score over 50000 points but end up dying completing the game, a screen will appear upon losing your last ship that says TOP GUN CONGRATULATIONS, LIEUTENANT! YOU HAVE SAVED YOUR COUNTRY WITH HONOR & COURAGE. YOU ARE ONE OF THE ELITE NOW - THE BEST OF THE BEST. AND WE ARE PROUD TO BESTOW UPON YOU THE DESIGNATION OF TOP GUN. It is a white screen showing 2 American flags, Golden Wings, a Top Gun badge, your high score and the Konami logo. Pretty cool for not even beating the game. Gotta wonder why they just didn't slap that at the end of the game.

Now, maybe the dying requirement isn't part of it, as AdamL is known for manipulating hex addresses and other cheats to find the true "end" of games.  It's happened before that things have been found playing the games legit that are missed when editing the code.  I'm guessing it's for scoring over 50K and the dying part was just a coincidence.

@8bitdontquit mentioned that he's motivated to beat the game now, so maybe you get that screen if you beat the default high score without finishing the game. Since the game makes you land the plane after you blow up the space shuttle at the end, it is technically possible to beat the game and lose your last life by crashing the plane instead of landing successfully.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

@8bitdontquit mentioned that he's motivated to beat the game now, so maybe you get that screen if you beat the default high score without finishing the game. Since the game makes you land the plane after you blow up the space shuttle at the end, it is technically possible to beat the game and lose your last life by crashing the plane instead of landing successfully.

This is what I was just going to say, I'm thinking this could be it: you completed your mission but didn't survive.  But the question remains, why do you get a better looking ending if you die than you do if you live?  It makes no sense...