IGNORED

Garbage Pail Kids (NES)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally received mine today, and the game looks great and plays great, yada yada yada, but this is a collecting forum, so I've gotta ask: has nobody else noticed how damn thick the box is !?!  I keep all my NES boxes in box protectors, including homebrews, and this game's box straight up does not fit in an NES box protector, and I mean at all!  I had to go digging through my box protectors for other consoles to find something that this game's box would fit in.  This isn't really a big deal, just something I have never experienced before: a company saying, "fuck the standard dimensions - we're making our NES cardboard box a quarter inch thicker."  It was a really weird moment in the history of this hobby for me...  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well I finally received mine today, and the game looks great and plays great, yada yada yada, but this is a collecting forum, so I've gotta ask: has nobody else noticed how damn thick the box is !?!  I keep all my NES boxes in box protectors, including homebrews, and this game's box straight up does not fit in an NES box protector, and I mean at all!  I had to go digging through my box protectors for other consoles to find something that this game's box would fit in.  This isn't really a big deal, just something I have never experienced before: a company saying, "fuck the standard dimensions - we're making our NES cardboard box a quarter inch thicker."  It was a really weird moment in the history of this hobby for me...  🤷‍♂️

I remember trying to fit it into a NES but like you said it was a no go. Pretty sure I just put it on the shelf naked and unprotected lol

edit: it did just now fit into a VGBP SNES protector with a little wiggle room

Edited by a3quit4s

On 5/16/2023 at 9:00 AM, fcgamer said:

I saw people getting pissy on FB saying they wouldn't have bought the game if they knew the color scheme was going to be changed. All I can say is what's the point of buying the game if you aren't going to play the damned thing, in which case the color isn't important. I'm the biggest shelf collector in the world but even this is too much stupidity for me.

For me it can be both, I want to play the game and I would like the blue or pink cartridge that was advertised, so it looks good on my shelf. It's more of expecting one thing and getting another. That original baby blue cartridge looked pretty slick and gave it that retro look! But yeah I wouldn't have bought the game if I knew this is what the cartridge looked like. I might sell mine for 1/2 off the initial price. The colors are just off and do not match the box or packaging. Def gonna play it and beat it first!

4 hours ago, CT said:

For me it can be both, I want to play the game and I would like the blue or pink cartridge that was advertised, so it looks good on my shelf. It's more of expecting one thing and getting another. That original baby blue cartridge looked pretty slick and gave it that retro look! But yeah I wouldn't have bought the game if I knew this is what the cartridge looked like. I might sell mine for 1/2 off the initial price. The colors are just off and do not match the box or packaging. Def gonna play it and beat it first!

The sad part is that there is a supplier for a closer blue cartridge, because my copy of the game "Trophy" is really similar to the blue cart advertised for this game.  I don't know what they would do about the pink, though...

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Does Arkanoid have a box protector? Would it fit in that?

I have a custom box protector for Arkanoid, but this game (Garbage Pail Kids) ended up fitting pretty well in another console's protectors - I think it was Genesis or Jaguar or something.  It does look a little weird on the shelf, though, next to all those other standard width homebrew NES games...

• 5 months later...