IGNORED

Cuphead Physical (for real this time) announced (XBOne, PS4, Switch)

Gloves

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

At this point I've waited so long to play Cuphead that I don't really have any issues just continuing to wait for as long as it takes. But I've also waited so long it's gonna be really hard for the game to live up to its hype

A self appointed wait, as the game has been out for 5 years. It is on GOG and DRM free. It’s not the game’s fault you have waited so long, so shouldn’t be reflected in your views on it.

The rest of the Internet- yay great news an indie developer is getting a chance to release their game and with the brand new DLC included on cart.

VGS- moan moan it’s taken forever what’s even the point now?

Also just a note, this is getting a retail release too, so you don’t have to get the iam8bit version.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Brickman said:

A self appointed wait, as the game has been out for 5 years.

I just explained why it isn't, and I'm sure a lot of people share the same experience 🙂 It's taken them 5 years for them to get a physical out on a platform that I own. And the DLC itself is only a few months old still.

Could I have bought an Xbox to play the game? Sure. Could I have double dipped and bought a digital release of a game I knew I'd get the physical version of eventually anyway? Sure. But there's also the question of realistic priorities 😛 

23 minutes ago, Brickman said:

VGS- moan moan it’s taken forever what’s even the point now?

Whoa there, that's not what I'm saying at all? Rather, the exact opposite, like I just said I don't care if I had to wait a year or ten. I'll play the game when I get to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Whoa there, that's not what I'm saying at all? Rather, the exact opposite, like I just said I don't care if I had to wait a year or ten. I'll play the game when I get to it.

Sorry my bad I misread your comment. I thought you were complaining it has taken forever so you’ve never had a chance to play it even though there have been options for 5 years.

Administrator · Posted

Btw, I know this thread is about the physical release, but if anyone cares, it's on sale for digital including the DLC, you can get for $20 (or around $14 for base game)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/736589/

https://www.gog.com/game/cuphead

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/cuphead-and-the-delicious-last-course-switch/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 2:17 AM, Brickman said:

Sorry my bad I misread your comment. I thought you were complaining it has taken forever so you’ve never had a chance to play it even though there have been options for 5 years.

It's not only what any individual would do but the market as a whole. If you have a game that maybe will come out as physical years later, maybe never, then that does harm physical games as a hobby.

Many gamers will opt for physical over digital when given the opportunity but buying the game a 2nd time (or waiting multiple years for a potential first) actively decimates the potential pool of interested buyers.

5 hours ago, cartman said:

It's not only what any individual would do but the market as a whole. If you have a game that maybe will come out as physical years later, maybe never, then that does harm physical games as a hobby.

Many gamers will opt for physical over digital when given the opportunity but buying the game a 2nd time (or waiting multiple years for a potential first) actively decimates the potential pool of interested buyers.

Yeah that’s the unfortunate gamble that indie developers like the creators of Cuphead had to make. They didn’t have millions of dollars to bankroll a physical copy at the time of release.

I think people forget how hard it is for indie developers to release physical games when they don’t even know if their game will make enough for them to survive to the next project.

They’re not trying to hurt the physical market, they just can’t afford to print physical copies.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Yeah that’s the unfortunate gamble that indie developers like the creators of Cuphead had to make. They didn’t have millions of dollars to bankroll a physical copy at the time of release.

I think people forget how hard it is for indie developers to release physical games when they don’t even know if their game will make enough for them to survive to the next project.

They’re not trying to hurt the physical market, they just can’t afford to print physical copies.

Then again, (not to wade TOO far into the fray as I don't give THAT much of a shit about it), but they DID release a physical version without an actual disc...

It couldn't have been that much more effort to ship a box with a disc as opposed to an empty one, they were getting a lot of money from Microsoft at the time, if I recall.

Anyway, I'm not really on either side of this, but plenty of SHIT games with zero hype get releases, they COULD have definitely done it way sooner. 😬

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

They didn’t have millions of dollars to bankroll a physical copy at the time of release.

Once Microsoft joined in, Cuphead's budget increased immensely, I don't think money was an issue. 

I do think it makes sense that they didn't want to do it while the game was Xbox exclusively, since that would diminish the already niche audience even further. 

And when the Switch version eventually came out they made the decision to delay it until the DLC was out so it could be included on the card/disc. I respect that stance fully, and if "double dipping" is an issue for some people, I'd imagine triple dipping would be even worse. I'm convinced this physical release will sell just fine - Cuphead has had years to build up a following, and the DLC release has given it some extra attention. In terms of PR, I think they are handling this just fine! 

• Like 1