IGNORED

Cuphead Physical (for real this time) announced (XBOne, PS4, Switch)

Gloves

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's an expiration date?

Yes, I no longer care about this game, I've moved on. You can't announce a physical version of a game and then release it 3 years later, that's not how commerce works. Now if I buy this and play it, when I get together with my friends and talk to them about some level or boss or twist in the game, nobody else will be interested in the same conversation as if we were all playing it for the first time. They would have all played the digital version and been done with it by the time I play the physical version. Same with Twitch, I can't experience this game by watching other people play and experience it like I am, 3 years after it came out, people have moved on. There's a whole ecosystem that exists in life when a game comes out and if you do it in stages, you're creating a barrier for people to enjoy that ecosystem together.

No thanks.

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Yes, I no longer care about this game, I've moved on. You can't announce a physical version of a game and then release it 3 years later, that's not how commerce works. Now if I buy this and play it, when I get together with my friends and talk to them about some level or boss or twist in the game, nobody else will be interested in the same conversation as if we were all playing it for the first time. They would have all played the digital version and been done with it by the time I play the physical version. Same with Twitch, I can't experience this game by watching other people play and experience it like I am, 3 years after it came out, people have moved on. There's a whole ecosystem that exists in life when a game comes out and if you do it in stages, you're creating a barrier for people to enjoy that ecosystem together.

No thanks.

So every game you play is within 3 years of release?

What about movies you watch?

Albums you listen to?

I mean, you can talk about "commerce" however you want.  I personally have a thousand games to get to, so it's going be 3+ years until I get to most of them anyway.  I'm doing Sekiro right now, and I definitely missed the boat as far as being a part of the Sekiro Twitch-o-sphere.  Missed out on the Sekiro "ecosystem."  That's not why I play games, but we're all our own person, so to each his own.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

So every game you play is within 3 years of release?

What about movies you watch?

Albums you listen to?

I mean, you can talk about "commerce" however you want.  I personally have a thousand games to get to, so it's going be 3+ years until I get to most of them anyway.  I'm doing Sekiro right now, and I definitely missed the boat as far as being a part of the Sekiro Twitch-o-sphere.  Missed out on the Sekiro "ecosystem."  That's not why I play games, but we're all our own person, so to each his own.

I only watch movies from the previous year, I'm currently going through 2021.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just a few days ago, I remember seeing another digital only game come out to be physical and I told myself "still no Cuphead as usual". Well FINALLY, the longest wait for any Switch game for me besides whatever Metroid game is gonna happen. Really want to play this so bad, but yes I'm that stubborn I won't get it digital.

9 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

No thanks.

The developers have mentioned many times that they wouldn’t release the physical version until they had released the DLC, which was released recently. Here is a source for you: https://nintendosoup.com/cuphead-will-receive-a-physical-edition-on-switch-more-details-revealed/

It’s your loss that you aren’t playing this game because it’s older than 3 years. Which is ironic considering the forum you are on and the countless games you own that you have never played yet that are much older than 3 years.

Also, it’s not “bad commerce”, these guys aren’t some massive studio, they’re just two guys who made a game inspired by old games and cartoons they loved.

There’s nothing stopping you from buying the physical version and making a post here about your thoughts on the game. 

• Agree 3

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, Brickman said:

There’s nothing stopping you from buying the physical version and making a post here about your thoughts on the game. 

This exactly. I've waited for the physical release and will be buying it and playing it. I'm sure I'm not alone, and heck - I'm also positive that if we made a discussion post for the game when it's physically out, we would probably have at least a small community conversation around it.

We're able to have regular discussions on really old games (a Half-Life thread just went up last night and it's moving along nicely) without issue.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:31 PM, JamesRobot said:

God damn double dipping sons a bitches!

I mean, I didn't buy a copy, specifically because there wasn't a physical release, so I guess maybe not so much?  They're really only double dipping if the people who were ok buying the digital only, you-don't-own-anything-and-this-might-disappear-tomorrow edition are suddenly deciding that they need to buy it again.

If it's sold for something akin to what re-releases/great hits/etc. versions are priced at, I'll most likely buy a copy, but they'll have an easier time getting blood from a stone than prying $60 out of my hands for a 5 year old game that should have had a physical edition right off the bat given how many people were beating down their door with money even before release.

I’m on the fence about this. I never personally bought or played cuphead so I’m neutral here but it’s been out for 5 years. On the one side I’m happy to see a small development team succeed and release a physical copy to their fan base, on the other side I’m really annoyed with this whole new mindset that Nintendo started about how many times we can get people to buy the same game over and over again. I would think the fans deserve something more than just game plus DLC - some new stages or something. Maybe even fuck it it’s been out for 5 years make a physical release of cuphead 2 lol

edit: so I did read through the replies and the DLC is newer and quite large it seems but even still, I dunno. It just seems like a money grab initiated by Iam8bit

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I don't really see the issue.  I bought the game digitally, and am 2000% happy with my purchase as it's a fantastic game.  The physical release now, gives people an option to have it physically, *if* they really want to own a physical copy.  It provides more avenues for enjoyment by different groups, so I think that's a good thing.

As for the initial release, maybe they didn't know how successful it would be? I don't know - who knows why it never got an initial physical release.

Either way - this is a great game.  I'd recommend anyone buy it either digitally, and/or physical, and enjoy it cause it's fantastic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Me potentially buying this game has been continuously pushed back for years now 😛 I was interested at first, but it was Xbox exclusive for a generation where I had zero other reasons to bother buying an Xbox platform.

When the Switch version finally came out years later, it came out alongside the promise of a physical release, which made me hesitate to purchase a digital release, which I'm generally not too fond of. This release got pushed back when they announced that they didn't want to do it until the DLC was out, which is respectable. 

Then years passed by before we even heard any updates about the DLC, and many people assumed it to be vaporware. And when it finally did get a release date, the devs also ensured us we'd hear more about the promised physical release this summer.

Now several months later again we're finally here.... except we still don't have a release date for the thing 🤣

At this point I've waited so long to play Cuphead that I don't really have any issues just continuing to wait for as long as it takes. But I've also waited so long it's gonna be really hard for the game to live up to its hype.

• Like 1