IGNORED

TDIRunner's Game Room (UPDATE)

TDIRunner

My basement has been my game room for about 10 years now.  I've shared pictures of it in the past and I enjoyed it for what it was.  Unfortunately, the basement of our home wasn't finished when we bought it and due to the main level needing a complete renovation at the time of purchase, most of our time and money was used on the main level replacing all of the flooring, both bathrooms, the entire kitchen, all of the doors and trim and pretty much anything that could be replaced.  The basement was left unfinished, but I still had my office and game room setup down there.  After about 8 years of living in the house, I was ready to start finishing the basement.  I just happened to start about 3 months before COVID hit.  I've been finishing everything completely by myself and due to multiple reasons (COVID and family events included), it has been a very slow process.  Because I have to continue to use my basement as I finish it, I can only finish a small area at a time.  In other words, I clear a small area of the basement and completely finish just that section.  Anywhere from 12 to 20 feet of wall at a time, I will frame everything, complete the wiring, hang drywall, finish drywall and paint the drywall.  Once that area is complete, I move all of my stuff in the basement around and start another section.  I always have plastic up to separate the area I'm working on from everything else to keep the drywall dust off.

Anyway, the reason I'm starting this thread now is because I've hit a big milestone.  I've finished approximately 50% of the basement and that happens to be the section of the basement that the game room will be in.  I've started to build custom furniture that will house all of my gaming systems and I completed the first of 4 units yesterday.  I've started to setup some consoles up to get an idea of what it will look like.  Please note that the floor is not finished yet.  I won't finish the floor until the ENTIRE basement is complete.  Also, keep in mind, that nearly all of the consoles in my gaming collection have been boxed up for the past 2 years while I've been working.  I've pretty much only had a Switch and PS4 during this time.  The picture below is just the Nintendo, Sony and Analogue systems.  Another shelving unit will hold everything else including Sega, Atari, Microsoft and all of the others.  I will also have two towers to hold all of my A/V equipment and switches.  I'm hoping the have the rest of the furniture build before the end of the year.  It took a week and a half to build this one with the little spare time I have in the evenings.  I will continue to update as I go, and eventually, I will get some before and after pictures of the basement along with some WIP pictures. 

TLDR.  I should probably wait until I'm 100% done before starting this thread, but I'm too excited for hitting this milestone in the project and I wanted to get something out there.  More to come.

20220928_225749.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Phase Two of the new setup is complete.  I finished both towers to hold my A/V and switching equipment.  No new consoles added here, but the next and final phase will include the last of my game consoles that are still missing in the setup.  I'm still missing a few back trim pieces that will help hide the wires you can see in the back.  The wires will NOT be visible once everything is done.  Also, the Amp on the left tower is just a place holder until I purchase my new 4K amp which I'm still shopping around.  

SkO1Z4h.jpg

mqXxme1.jpg

QFQ7P4W.jpg

Also, LED lighting.

20221130_143130.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to TDIRunner's Game Room (In Progress)
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, RH said:

What are the devices underneath it, though?

Power switches.  I hate the idea of having everything plugged in at the same time for safety reasons and cost, especially  considering that all of these devices draw a little big of power even while off.  The switches allow me to completely cut power off for all of the systems that I'm currently not using.  

5 hours ago, RH said:

Excellent choice on the Extron.  I swapped out my Gcomp (which I eventually sold on eBay) for an Extron and I couldn't be happier.  Can't go wrong with period-accurate pro grade hardware.

I've been using my Extron for several years now and I've been signing it's praises ever since I got it.  With that said, I was surprised when it gave me a mild shock a few months ago while working on a temporary setup.  I figured out the problem and know how to avoid it now, but it was still a big unnerving.  

Also included in that picture are my two 8 port HDMI switches.  I wanted to get a 16 port switch, but the only ones I could find for under $1k didn't offer all of the features that the two 8 ports did so I went with those.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Loving that setup. 

arent you concerned about setting that pressed wood furniture directly on concrete tho?

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the wood isn't toughing the concrete.  All of the furniture is sitting on heavy duty commercial casters.  That's why there is about 1/4" space at the bottom.  I wanted to keep it close to the ground so it would look like it was touching.  I had to make all of my measurements pretty precise. 

For me, it's extremely important to be able to move these around easily for the purpose of hooking up the massive amount of cabling that's going on behind there.  Everything can easily be pulled forward a few feet to get behind it and work on whatever I need to work on and simply roll it back when I'm done.  

Also, I will be installing proper flooring within the next year or so.  I want to finish the other half of the basement before I do any of the flooring.  I'm not concerned about the temporary setup.  I have cheap particle board furniture that's been down here for 10 years sitting on the floor with no issues, but to your point, I certainly considered the issue.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

@TDIRunner what model extron is that and was it expensive getting all the cables for all the systems? You can’t just hook composite RCA type cables into that, you need many many adapters right?

It's a CrossPoint 300 Series 16x8 (meaning 16 inputs and 8 outputs).  I paid $50 for it, but that was several years ago.  

For the cable adapters, I bought a large number of BNC to RCA adapters for my composite and component connections.  They were pretty cheap at the time, but when it was brought up in a recent discussion, I found that the price of those has gone way up.  I also have a few s-video to BNC adapters which were sort of pricey.  Last would be the audio connectors.  Luckily, the Extron switch came with 20 phoenix connectors which was enough for all of my connections, so I never had to buy any of those.  I made my own homemade phoenix to RCA adapters buy cutting up 20 RCA y-adapters and splicing them accordingly (audio input and audio output are wired differently for some reason).  It was a lot of work hand making those adapters, but to this day I've never been able to find a source for real ones.  Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've bought everything that I can't say for sure how much I spent, but it's somewhere in the neighborhood between $100 and $150 including the switch itself.  I'm guessing it would cost a lot more to do it today.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

It's a CrossPoint 300 Series 16x8 (meaning 16 inputs and 8 outputs).  I paid $50 for it, but that was several years ago.  

For the cable adapters, I bought a large number of BNC to RCA adapters for my composite and component connections.  They were pretty cheap at the time, but when it was brought up in a recent discussion, I found that the price of those has gone way up.  I also have a few s-video to BNC adapters which were sort of pricey.  Last would be the audio connectors.  Luckily, the Extron switch came with 20 phoenix connectors which was enough for all of my connections.  I made my own homemade phoenix to RCA adapters buy cutting up 20 RCA y-adapters and splicing them accordingly (audio input and audio output are wired differently for some reason).  It was a lot of work hand making those adapters, but to this day I've never been able to find a source for real ones.  Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've bought everything that I can't say for sure how much I spent, but it's somewhere in the neighborhood between $100 and $150 including the switch itself.  I'm guessing it would cost a lot more to do it today.  

Good info. I only have one output so I’m lucky to just get by with one of the cheap 8 port RCA switches on Amazon for $20. My next gen consoles are hooked up to a separate TV and it has enough HDMI 2.1 ports for all my needs. Your setup is dope though. I’ve been thinking of getting that same model you have for power supplies but just haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m pretty sure I saw somewhere the IKEA Kallax I have, one of the cubes is just wide enough to drill something that’s meant to be rackmount right to it. Would definitely be cleaner than what I have now

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m pretty sure I saw somewhere the IKEA Kallax I have, one of the cubes is just wide enough to drill something that’s meant to be rackmount right to it. Would definitely be cleaner than what I have now

It's probably worth mentioning that the equipment I'm using that is rack mountable is all secured with small screws through the rack mount holes into the back of the wood trim.  The only odd thing is that I've secured it from the back instead of the front (looks better that way).  Since it's secured, nothing moves when I push the buttons.  

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

@TDIRunner - wow, that entertainment center is sooo slick. I love how everything has such a definitive place, and the assortment of switch-boxes and media players flanking the consoles is really neat.

Makes me want to incorporate a VCR somewhere in my setup, too haha...

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/30/2022 at 4:22 PM, TDIRunner said:

It's probably worth mentioning that the equipment I'm using that is rack mountable is all secured with small screws through the rack mount holes into the back of the wood trim.  The only odd thing is that I've secured it from the back instead of the front (looks better that way).  Since it's secured, nothing moves when I push the buttons.  

The hidden rack screws is my favorite part, and a nice custom touch. 

• Like 1

Fuck. Sick man. I bet that sounds radical. 

(This may be a stupid question) Do you hookup the speaker system to the old school TV for NES/SNES etc. games???

I have a small speaker set with a sub and even it makes the NES games sound great. SNES is even better and have hooked up the SNES to my surround sound which also sounds awesome. 

Is the major audio system strictly for theatre/audio or also for the old games? 

Looks like you've got some Analogue NT's or something so maybe you just rock that shit out. Haha.... either way.... awesome. 

Love the shelves. Classy and sturdy. Fit the consoles/audio equipment perfectly. And the lights?? DAYUM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Fuck. Sick man. I bet that sounds radical. 

(This may be a stupid question) Do you hookup the speaker system to the old school TV for NES/SNES etc. games???

I have a small speaker set with a sub and even it makes the NES games sound great. SNES is even better and have hooked up the SNES to my surround sound which also sounds awesome. 

Is the major audio system strictly for theatre/audio or also for the old games? 

Looks like you've got some Analogue NT's or something so maybe you just rock that shit out. Haha.... either way.... awesome. 

Love the shelves. Classy and sturdy. Fit the consoles/audio equipment perfectly. And the lights?? DAYUM.

Thanks.  It sounds good for now, although, my speakers are currently setup for 3.1 sound.  I just haven't ran the rear speakers yet.  But I have 4 rear/surround speakers, so when I'm done, I will be using 7.1 surround.  

As far as the sound system goes, anything playing on the 4K TV always runs through the sound system and everything turns on automatically.  For the CRT TV, I have the option to run the games through the sound system or just the TV.  It kind of depends on what I'm in the mood for.  Usually I play games on the CRT with the speakers system on, but due to the location of the CRT TV, the surround sound isn't tailored for that spot.  For obvious reasons, the surround sound priority goes to the area where you sit to watch the 4K TV.  But it's worth noting that even retro games sound good with a sound system, and lots of games from the SNES era were setup for Dolby.  

Also, having the CRT setup to use sound from either the speaker system or the TV allows someone to play games on the CRT while someone else is either playing games on the 4K TV or watching a movie.  That doesn't happen often, but the option is there.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Thanks.  It sounds good for now, although, my speakers are currently setup for 3.1 sound.  I just haven't ran the rear speakers yet.  But I have 4 rear/surround speakers, so when I'm done, I will be using 7.1 surround.  

As far as the sound system goes, anything playing on the 4K TV always runs through the sound system and everything turns on automatically.  For the CRT TV, I have the option to run the games through the sound system or just the TV.  It kind of depends on what I'm in the mood for.  Usually I play games on the CRT with the speakers system on, but due to the location of the CRT TV, the surround sound isn't tailored for that spot.  For obvious reasons, the surround sound priority goes to the area where you sit to watch the 4K TV.  But it's worth noting that even retro games sound good with a sound system, and lots of games from the SNES era were setup for Dolby.  

Also, having the CRT setup to use sound from either the speaker system or the TV allows someone to play games on the CRT while someone else is either playing games on the 4K TV or watching a movie.  That doesn't happen often, but the option is there.  

Shit man, that's intense. That would be so awesome for movies.

I had to look up 7.1 surround, haha. 

Neat to have the option for the sound, but I get what you're saying with the CRT being "off centered" for the surround sound. Tough life, haha. Either way that's radical. 

And yeah, the SNES sounds noticeably better when you are hooked up to a decent sound system. Even the basic set-up I have, which plugs into the headphone jack, sounds awesome. CD quality! 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to TDIRunner's Game Room (UPDATE)

Sick custom shelf. By the looks of it, you did it yourself? Very professional with the cord holes and actual grommet deals. 

Also, I love how you've organized the systems. At first I was wondering why I didn't see any NES/Nintendo on the first shelf, but then I realized you've got the Nintendo/Playstation's all set up on the MAIN set-up. 😆

Those must be your two favourite consoles, haha. 

Love the way it all comes together with the lights. Sick moves!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Sick custom shelf. By the looks of it, you did it yourself? Very professional with the cord holes and actual grommet deals. 

Also, I love how you've organized the systems. At first I was wondering why I didn't see any NES/Nintendo on the first shelf, but then I realized you've got the Nintendo/Playstation's all set up on the MAIN set-up. 😆

Those must be your two favourite consoles, haha. 

Love the way it all comes together with the lights. Sick moves!

Thanks.  

Yes, all custom built.  

Funny thing about the shelf with the Nintendo, Sony & Analogue consoles (the shorter, wider shelf under the TV).  Every console on that shelf was purchased new by myself, or purchased new by my parents when I was younger except for the N64 and GameCube.  The other shelf (the taller shelf on the far left) includes all consoles that were purchased used, many years after the consoles were done and over with except for the Atari 2600 and 360.  The Neo Geo X and OUYA were also purchased new, but I don't consider those to be traditional consoles.  All of what I just said is coincidence more than anything, but it's still kind of neat that it worked out that way. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 1:17 AM, TDIRunner said:

Thanks.  

Yes, all custom built.  

Funny thing about the shelf with the Nintendo, Sony & Analogue consoles (the shorter, wider shelf under the TV).  Every console on that shelf was purchased new by myself, or purchased new by my parents when I was younger except for the N64 and GameCube.  The other shelf (the taller shelf on the far left) includes all consoles that were purchased used, many years after the consoles were done and over with except for the Atari 2600 and 360.  The Neo Geo X and OUYA were also purchased new, but I don't consider those to be traditional consoles.  All of what I just said is coincidence more than anything, but it's still kind of neat that it worked out that way. 

Awesome.

Great having the stuff from your childhood. That's some provenance shit right there.