IGNORED

Mario Bros NES Question - about print identification

VideoGameGalaxy

Hi,

one question to nes mario bros experts here 🙂
I own a Mario bros copy, looks like a third print.
No sticker seal.

But my question is : is there any way to check and to be sure that the sticker if there was one, was not removed ? something on the manual / cartridge.

Thanks for you help
image.png.34892259fb959a8b1fee745bc9b4f990.pngimage.thumb.png.ceef95abfe7b27927a9ff21292af8837.png

It looks like a no code third print to me. The gloss stickers had a security feature that left a void pattern underneath when they were removed. The matte stickers were paper, but likely would have left some kind of glue/paper residue behind so it's unlikely that it was ever a sticker seal. This guide should help you out.

https://blog.watagames.com/2019/01/08/the-definitive-nes-black-box-variant-guide/

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

9 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It looks like a no code third print to me. The gloss stickers had a security feature that left a void pattern underneath when they were removed. The matte stickers were paper, but likely would have left some kind of glue/paper residue behind so it's unlikely that it was ever a sticker seal. This guide should help you out.

https://blog.watagames.com/2019/01/08/the-definitive-nes-black-box-variant-guide/

Right so seems no way to determine if a print 3 is different from print 2 except by the gloss sticker. 
Thanks for your help

12 hours ago, RH said:

From a member here, this might help.  I can’t review the video here but you can probably pinpoint your varian with this info.

Thank you for the link

On 9/28/2022 at 5:35 AM, Code Monkey said:

The first 3 prints have the exact same boxes but you could get a little more accurate from the date codes on the chips inside the cartirdge. If you show the board and also the first page of the manual, I could give you a pretty good idea.

Thank you

here picture of the manual

Cartridge cannot find my tool so for the moment will be complicated ^^

thanks for your help

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-29 at 10.27.56.jpeg

3 hours ago, VideoGameGalaxy said:

Cartridge cannot find my tool so for the moment will be complicated ^\

IIRC, the earliest releases used the screws with slots in the middle that could be pulled with a small flathead screwdriver versus absolutely requiring a security bit, didn't they?  I know that 5 screw carts have been the only places I've ever seen those, and only ever in black box carts.  If you just assumed that the screws are security bits but haven't actually checked, you might want to take a look.

9 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

IIRC, the earliest releases used the screws with slots in the middle that could be pulled with a small flathead screwdriver versus absolutely requiring a security bit, didn't they?  I know that 5 screw carts have been the only places I've ever seen those, and only ever in black box carts.  If you just assumed that the screws are security bits but haven't actually checked, you might want to take a look.

A good point here. Since your cart is likely early it’s definitely pre 1988 which I think is when most/everything was switch to 3 screw with the 3.8 game bit. It does also assume the cart is married to the box. Always take pics of the cart too!

Edited by a3quit4s

16 hours ago, VideoGameGalaxy said:

Thank you

here picture of the manual

Cartridge cannot find my tool so for the moment will be complicated ^^

thanks for your help

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-29 at 10.27.56.jpeg

1985 date on the bottom and TM after Nintendo Entertainment System on the top line, confirmed third print. Super cool, probably the rarest print, I would say even harder to find than matte sticker. I'll buy it from you.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2022 at 5:49 PM, Code Monkey said:

1985 date on the bottom and TM after Nintendo Entertainment System on the top line, confirmed third print. Super cool, probably the rarest print, I would say even harder to find than matte sticker. I'll buy it from you.

Uh sorry to burst your bubble here but NO!  That manual doesn’t go with that box, it’s been Frankenstein’d.  The TM after Entertainment is from boxes with TM on the front, 6th print and beyond.  The box appears to be 3rd print but that manual 100% did not come with it originally.  To be sure that box is 3rd print would really need close up clear photos of the top and front top where the sticker would have been to be sure.

Edited by Braveheart69

14 hours ago, Braveheart69 said:

Uh sorry to burst your bubble here but NO!  That manual doesn’t go with that box, it’s been Frankenstein’d.  The TM after Entertainment is from boxes with TM on the front, 6th print and beyond.  The box appears to be 3rd print but that manual 100% did not come with it originally.  To be sure that box is 3rd print would really need close up clear photos of the top and front top where the sticker would have been to be sure.

Thanks for checking and updating the post 🙂 

So manual is incorrect. Good to know.

Will send more pictures as soon as possible. 

Probably a mess in my other mario bros us games. 

Thanks for your help

21 hours ago, Braveheart69 said:

I don't know if I'm more upset I got that wrong or more in awe the real heavyweight of variant collecting quoted my post.

I see so many Entertainment TM manuals I had no idea it was associated to that late of a print box.