IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Best of the Best!

BeaIank

3 hours ago, Krunch said:

I'm doing another run now, about to face Woodman again but with better stats.  Pretty fun game, surprised me.  Great art direction I might add.

I'm pretty surprised that you think this game is fun. That may be literally the first positive comment I've ever seen about it.

46 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm pretty surprised that you think this game is fun. That may be literally the first positive comment I've ever seen about it.

Its a Goddamn crime I played this some yesterday, but not enough to win a fight. Just looking at the cart should have been enough for participation. Its that bad 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Hmm yeah it was pretty fun, bit too difficult and kinda ended up being a spamfest, but then I couldnt beat the third fighter so maybe theres more to it.  I thought it looked good at least, and there's satisfaction being able to land consecutive hits and push the CPU against the ropes 

Hafta admit, this one kinda grew on me a little.  Not much, but enough that I'd like to finish it.  Once I got around the halfway point though, my till then very effective strategy wasn't quite enough to win fights any more so I will have to get more creative in order to keep on..

1 minute ago, PII said:

Hafta admit, this one kinda grew on me a little.  Not much, but enough that I'd like to finish it.  Once I got around the halfway point though, my till then very effective strategy wasn't quite enough to win fights any more so I will have to get more creative in order to keep on..

It may have been tolerable if I had taken the time to get the moves down on a consistent basis, but I just couldn't get that interested in it.

Just now, PII said:

Yeah, I could immediately see how sinking a ton of time into this would make the game immensely better, constantly training and trying different strategies and whatnot, but going in cold this game is terrible due to the incredibly high learning curve.

I actually beat the first guy by holding up the whole time and rapidly tapping the B button until he finally went down in Round 3, I believe.  That obviously wouldn't work for the whole game, but it worked for the first guy without any training first, so I was able to get a quick score and snap a pic...

On 9/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, mbd39 said:

Even entering your own name is a chore. It doesn't clear the default "Player 1" name, so you have to replace  each letter one by one with a different letter or blank space. SO STUPID. WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT.

In retrospect, this should have been a warning about how the actual game was going to turn out.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, I could immediately see how sinking a ton of time into this would make the game immensely better, constantly training and trying different strategies and whatnot, but going in cold this game is terrible due to the incredibly high learning curve.

I actually beat the first guy by holding up the whole time and rapidly tapping the B button until he finally went down in Round 3, I believe.  That obviously wouldn't work for the whole game, but it worked for the first guy without any training first, so I was able to get a quick score and snap a pic...

Did you play until you lost a match? You ended up with a lot more money than me and higher stats when we both only beat the first guy and didn't do any training. I barely won my match, so I don't know if margin of victory has any effect on how much money you get since it takes away some money and stats when you lose a fight. I don't think anything about this game makes sense.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

44 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you play until you lost a match? You ended up with a lot more money than me and higher stats when we both only beat the first guy and didn't do any training. I barely won my match, so I don't know if margin of victory has any effect on how much money you get since it takes away some money and stats when you lose a fight. I don't think anything about this game makes sense.

Shit, I didn't know it took away money and/or stats when you lose, so I thought just beating the first guy was good enough, and then I took my picture as soon as I beat him.  I didn't start until 25 minutes before the deadline, so I don't know if I would have had time for multiple fights.

Anyway, if the contest is progress first and then stats as the tie-breaker, my submission will still count but I'll come in dead last since my tie-breaker will be nullified.  I'm not going to re-edit my score post though since it will then look like I put up my score long after the deadline has passed.  I'll leave it to Bea to pick my rank.  I think I can only drop one or two placings anyway since the week that I screw up with the rules is the week that the game was so bad that nobody wanted to play... 😛

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I thought I mentioned that I was digging it earlier in the thread...

1 hour ago, PII said:

I'm doing the same thing actually...I was away all weekend but I plan to go back into it.  Now that losing fights is no longer a concern, nor is fight order, I'm hoping to knock this one off the beaten list as well.  It's quite an interesting one.  Care to share your strategy?  I was using Selection 7 and using primarily the Up-Away and Down-Forward attacks, mixing a few others in here and there as well.  But I'm finding a similar issue where I just can't seem to do enough to win.  Even with significantly higher stats, the damage output is just not enough to really make much difference, while they only need three or four hits to take me down a light.  It's kinda frustrating, but I'm thinking it's more of a strategy thing than a stat thing.  Really just need to find another one that works...

Oh, and congrats on winning the week.  I'm sure it would've been a tighter race if I had been at home, but it is what it is.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I'm sure it would've been a tighter race if I had been at home, but it is what it is.

No doubt about it!

51 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Care to share your strategy?

My pleaszh.  After driving myself crazy wondering if there was some cryptic way to select individual moves from each move selection I realized that I was way overthinking that part.  I used Selection #1.  In addition to training a lot before entering a Match my strategy was basically to use Up/Away for an opener as well as any time I was far enough away from the opponent for it to make contact and get me closer.  Then I'd alternate between Up/Forward and Down/Forward until I'd stomped the other guy into the ground.  So, in other words; it's a sort of "Rotating Double Punch" for the opener followed by alternating between "Jump Kick" and what I like to think of as "The Big Colossal Stomp."

Other Stuff I learned: You only get money during training for some reason.  Not once did I ever get $$ for winning a fight, which seems pretty ridiculous.  Apparently the people who made this never heard of a purse.  When you're coming off of a successful fight and you go into training again for the first time, you want to do really well because you can get awarded 3 or 4 points for each category.  The rest of the time, a training session only awards 1 point a piece no matter how well or poorly you do, which is also ridiculous.  I wasn't always paying perfect attention to this so it's possible it may have occasionally awarded 2 points for something.  Many times I hit all 8 reflex shots, but I do not recall it ever giving me more than 1 point except right after a Match.  I never watched any of the previews, but I've been able to beat the next guy after lord in addition to 2 Kumate matches between Ivanoff and Lord.  The next guy is Goldman and I've come close a couple of times but he always gets me with these below the belt punches that take off something like an entire light on occasion.

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Shit, I didn't know it took away money and/or stats when you lose, so I thought just beating the first guy was good enough, and then I took my picture as soon as I beat him.  I didn't start until 25 minutes before the deadline, so I don't know if I would have had time for multiple fights.

Anyway, if the contest is progress first and then stats as the tie-breaker, my submission will still count but I'll come in dead last since my tie-breaker will be nullified.  I'm not going to re-edit my score post though since it will then look like I put up my score long after the deadline has passed.  I'll leave it to Bea to pick my rank.  I think I can only drop one or two placings anyway since the week that I screw up with the rules is the week that the game was so bad that nobody wanted to play... 😛

Yeah the rules said to play until you lost a match, but I'm not worried about it since we're gonna finish in the bottom two anyway. I was honestly more curious if the prize money was tied to how well you did during the fight since I barely won the first match and literally put the controller down during the second so that I could just lose and be done with it.

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

In retrospect, this should have been a warning about how the actual game was going to turn out.

I usually enjoy fighting and beat em up type games. But this game manages to drain all of the fun right out of it.

The Mexican Runner who beat every licensed NES game beat this in close to 8 hours and gave it a 7/10 rating so maybe it improves if you play it for long enough. But I'll never know.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I usually enjoy fighting and beat em up type games. But this game manages to drain all of the fun right out of it.

The Mexican Runner who beat every licensed NES game beat this in close to 8 hours and gave it a 7/10 rating so maybe it improves if you play it for long enough. But I'll never know.

There is a World of Longplays video that goes on for two hours, but it said that he stopped after getting all the trophies, which I guess isn't the end of the game. I can't imagine anyone playing this for 8 hours straight, although it does seem to be a bit better if you know what you're doing.

14 hours ago, PII said:

No doubt about it!

My pleaszh.  After driving myself crazy wondering if there was some cryptic way to select individual moves from each move selection I realized that I was way overthinking that part.  I used Selection #1.  In addition to training a lot before entering a Match my strategy was basically to use Up/Away for an opener as well as any time I was far enough away from the opponent for it to make contact and get me closer.  Then I'd alternate between Up/Forward and Down/Forward until I'd stomped the other guy into the ground.  So, in other words; it's a sort of "Rotating Double Punch" for the opener followed by alternating between "Jump Kick" and what I like to think of as "The Big Colossal Stomp."

Other Stuff I learned: You only get money during training for some reason.  Not once did I ever get $$ for winning a fight, which seems pretty ridiculous.  Apparently the people who made this never heard of a purse.  When you're coming off of a successful fight and you go into training again for the first time, you want to do really well because you can get awarded 3 or 4 points for each category.  The rest of the time, a training session only awards 1 point a piece no matter how well or poorly you do, which is also ridiculous.  I wasn't always paying perfect attention to this so it's possible it may have occasionally awarded 2 points for something.  Many times I hit all 8 reflex shots, but I do not recall it ever giving me more than 1 point except right after a Match.  I never watched any of the previews, but I've been able to beat the next guy after lord in addition to 2 Kumate matches between Ivanoff and Lord.  The next guy is Goldman and I've come close a couple of times but he always gets me with these below the belt punches that take off something like an entire light on occasion.

Yeah, I'm on Goldman too, and have two of the bonus fighters down as well.  I found out you can decline a fight and come back to it later, so you don't have to win them all in a row, so that's a plus.  Gives me a reason to kick the shit out of Tsong Po a few times anyway 😛  Good to know about the training thing, I was wondering how I'd occasionally get huge bonuses, though I suck nuts at the reflex training, so that may take a bit for me.  My timing is typically a fraction of a second off, so I only manage to get two to four pads per run, making it extremely slow to build up.  But now that I know it builds faster after a fight, and that I don't have to do the extra fights all at once, plus watching the TMR video below, I think I may have a chance here...I'll give you a report after I do a couple rounds and see how I fare...

Okay, after a couple more fights, it seems the bonus fights stop coming after a few declines, so DON'T do that if you want to get the 100% completion.  That said, I have started using moveset 3, and spamming down-forward, using other attacks when range appropriate (down-back for mid range, up-back for long range), and so far it's knocked off Goldman and Elmutt.  I'm still gonna finish this run to get the ending (I'm this far now, and who knows, maybe without finishing the bonus fights I'll get a different one...).  Had I figured this out earlier this week, this game may have already been in the bag 😛

Another possibility is that I knocked of Flimrick before I fought Goldman, so that may have screwed the bonus fights up.  I don't know, but it's possible I suppose...

EDIT: Okay, so after the Elmutt fight, I decided to test a theory.  I went to try and fight Cogneur despite having like 5 other fighters to go through...and beating him triggered the ending!  So you don't have to beat EVERY  fighter, just enough to allow the Cogneur fight to take place, and have high enough stats to survive a few hits.  It also triggers the remaining bonus fights to occur!  So I should have this one completely in the bag in a few more fights...all of which should be easier to beat than Cogneur (who wasn't so tough with the strat I'm using).

EDIT 2 - Alright...so after winning the final four fights back to back, I got the "Best of the Best" screen.  I'm not gonna worry about getting the last few belts that don't matter for shit, I'm calling this one (and my left thumb) done.

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I found out you can decline a fight and come back to it later, so you don't have to win them all in a row

Are you referring to the kumate matches here, or just the regular matches by exiting with select?

Sounds like you've got this game figured out, anyway...

1 hour ago, PII said:

Are you referring to the kumate matches here, or just the regular matches by exiting with select?

Sounds like you've got this game figured out, anyway...

I guess the kumate matches would be the name for them.  The ones that after you win a fight the challenge notice comes up and you can say yes or no.  I won the first, then declined, fought my next guy, took the challenge, then declined the second.  Eventually it wouldn't make the challenge anymore.  After beating Cogneur and getting the ending, it says to defend the belt, and then the remaining challenges come up.

Anyway, if you use the strat I did with moveset 3, you should be able to knock it out no sweat.  The only ones that gave me any trouble were against Cogneur and Warrior (the final challenge match)...they're the only two where I had to routinely block and counter (they tend to attack more than the average fighter, which made it harder to get close enough to spam kicks without blocking).  Best of luck to you!

1 hour ago, PII said:

@the_wizard_666I prob. won't get to it too quickly, but I appreciate the info.  On a game like this one I'll take any info I can get though and hope it'll make the difference.  ¡Nice job taking the sports genre!

Thanks!  I wasn't expecting it at first, as sports is hardly my go-to genre, and I'd never played any of the games this year previously, making it all a mystery as far as my potential performance.  But I guess my knack for figuring out patterns paid off.  I actually thought I'd have a shot at the puzzle genre at the start of the year, as it's more my forte, but there were more twitch games on there than expected, which is NOT in my wheelhouse 😛  I'm happy to take sports though, it'll probably be the only time I win anything in one of these competitions in my lifetime, so I'm gonna enjoy it 🙂

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned