IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Best of the Best!

BeaIank

5 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Holy crap, I just discovered that the A and B buttons aren't used 😮  All strikes are done by the D-Pad ONLY.  The A and B buttons are only used for menu options, and the A button in training.  That's a bit of a game changer for me...definitely less mashing gonna happen 😛

A or B can be used with any direction of strike but must be used with down, left or right as those directions have other functions alone...

10 minutes ago, PII said:

It turns you around.

Oh damn!  I was wondering about that, though it was seeming like tapping the button toward my opponent did that.  It actually looks like he gets the gloves up to block, though it only works against some moves.

I also tested a possibility about losing a bunch of matches, since winning gives a huge stat boost.  So I lost to see what the stat change was.  Lost one strength.  Not sure if the loss is random or not, but I figured it'd be quicker than training a bunch.  Especially since I suck at the reflex part.  Alas, it was not to be.  Time for the training grind.

Edited by the_wizard_666

Okay, I'm really digging this.  There's some subtleties to it that make it better than it first appears.  Once you get it down it's not terrible.  Not great, maybe 6/10 or so, but definitely not as bad as I had expected at the outset (despite looking forward to it, I had a feeling it'd be a slog).  If the training sessions weren't so damn tedious I'd probably enjoy it more.  Also, it seems that you can fight beaten opponents again, which explains that rule.  I'm probably gonna run this for my personal list regardless of how I place, so it's good to know I can use that later to build my stats in a less tedious way than constant training sessions.  For now though, I'm grinding away.

Just for clarification though, do we have to fight the fights in order?  I ask because it seems you can jump straight to the last dude if you choose, though more importantly I'm having a bitch of a time with Le Blanc...motherfucker keeps one punching me despite me having insane stats (at least compared to him).

Also, I've been noticing that occasionally my money increases after a training session...not every time mind you, but when it happens it's a $20K increase.  Coupled with the statistical improvement and it seems grinding it is the way to go if you aren't gonna make it past a second fighter.  Though the first two seem to be doable with decent stats anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PII said:

Trying to decide what's worse: 

The frustration that comes with having no clue how to get through this possibly leading to giving up

Or 

The certainty of further play that comes with having a vague clue about how to proceed.

I'm going to go with B since there was no way I was giving up without being able to win a single match.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You beat 4 guys? I though it was a massive accomplishment just getting past the first one!

Yeah, got real close to beating Ivanoff too, until he delivered a big punch that knocked me out even though I was ahead of him on power..  Fighting through the frustration and trying every idea I could think of finally led me to a workable strategy...

I used to love playing Winter Games on C64, except for the figure skating which seemed impossible to control properly.  For a while there, this was reminding me of that.

Beat: Tsong Po, Woodman, Le Blanc, Watanabe, Ivanoff
Lost: The Bear (invitation after beating Ivanoff)

Cash: $105,000
Stats: 61 + 65 + 43 = 169

20220928_195039.jpg.c6771486adfc3cee2cccbab9aa2178ba.jpg

Damn...Given that going into the fight against Ivanoff I had over 70 resist, losing was a hefty defeat.  I also lost the cash won from the Ivanoff fight.  I'm not sure if I even had to do the fight against The Bear, since it doesn't show up like a normal fight (no ring, etc), but I figured I should for completion's sake.  I do assume it's unnecessary, which means I only had The Lord to beat, but I think beating 5/6 is probably gonna be enough to win the week.  And even if it isn't, it's enough to secure the Sports Genre Championship, so my work here is done 🙂

Also, this is one hard ass fucking game.  I've kinda got the hang of it, but it seems everyone after Woodman can knock your ass out randomly.  I haven't figured out if you can do that to the opponent either, so it seems pretty dickish on the part of the developer if it's impossible to do.  Still, I kinda dig this...it's frustrating, but extremely ambitious given the hardware. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:23 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Wow, you guys are making me scared to pop this in my NES and give it a go.   Remember, it's on NES and that makes it awesome!!!!!!!!

I'm interested to find out if you played this and seriously think it's awesome. I was going to try the SNES version to see if it was any better and I couldn't bring myself to even bother.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm interested to find out if you played this and seriously think it's awesome. I was going to try the SNES version to see if it was any better and I couldn't bring myself to even bother.

It turns out this is a port of the game Andre Panza Kick Boxing on the TurboGrafx, one of the worst games on the system.  I haven't even tried the NES version yet, but I already know it will be terrible.  I'll try and pound out a shitty score at some point today while I'm watching football...

Just now, Dr. Morbis said:

It turns out this is a port of the game Andre Panza Kick Boxing on the TurboGrafx, one of the worst games on the system.  I haven't even tried the NES version yet, but I already know it will be terrible.  I'll try and pound out a shitty score at some point today while I'm watching football...

When I was trying to find info on it, I saw people calling it Panza Kick Boxing. This game is god awful. It makes Pit Fighter look like Street Fighter II.

Well, I still fought Tsong Po first so it wasnt truly base stats - but no training.  Are we allowed to fight them out of order @BeaIank?  Assuming you'd still have to fight Tsong Po first.  

I'm doing another run now, about to face Woodman again but with better stats.  Pretty fun game, surprised me.  Great art direction I might add.

8 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

You can't fight the same fighter more than once.

Don't worry I know - I was on a new run and got to Leblanc a second time.  I lost though, but its still an improvement over Run 1 since my stats were better from training.  Done now... fun time but the training required per run stymies my chances.