IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Best of the Best!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, we are back from our break week!
And this time, our combatants will aim to prove who is the best of the best in... something that doesn't quite look like Karate, but since the game title has karate in it, let's go with Karate!

This week will decide who will carry the laurels of being the 2022 VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST SPORTS GENRE CHAMPION!
@Dr. Morbis will have to win and hope that @the_wizard_666 doesn't put up a score in order to win. Otherwise, The_wizard_666 will be our champion!

The rules are simple:

• Pick whatever name and move set you prefer
  • Play till you lose a fight after beating Tsong Po or till you beat beat The Lord
  • You can't beat the same opponent more than once
  • After losing a fight or beating The Lord, click on "Physical" and take your picture
  • Progress + highest money + highest stats sum win
  • Genre: Sports

The contest ends Sunday, 10/02/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

Events Team · Posted
1st PII Beat Lord, $925,000, 297 stats - 925297
2nd the_wizard_666 Beat Ivanoff, $105,000, 169 stats - 105169
3rd Krunch Beat Woodman, $65,000, 138 stats - 65138
4th Dr. Morbis Beat Tsong Po, $35,000, 98 stats - 35098
5th Bearcat-Doug Beat Tsong Po, $10,000, 93 stats - 10093

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Right off the bat this game seems way overly complicated with this huge menu and all these different options.  When I start a NES game I just want to play the game not go through all this crap first.

The opening menu features all the fun and excitement of doing your own taxes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The opening menu features all the fun and excitement of doing your own taxes.

Even entering your own name is a chore. It doesn't clear the default "Player 1" name, so you have to replace  each letter one by one with a different letter or blank space. SO STUPID. WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT.

Edited by mbd39

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Even entering your own name is a chore. It doesn't clear the default "Player 1" name, so you have to replace or clear each letter one by one. SO STUPID. WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT.

It would have been bad enough without making it ridiculously complicated. There is a Sega Genesis version that uses the Sega Activator as a controller. That would be about as much fun as playing this with the Power Pad.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

5 hours ago, BeaIank said:

It isn't bad, no. It is utterly TERRIBLE.

I stumbled on and bought this cart a few years. Was ready to give it a real shot. Cool cover and there arent any bad fighting games for nes really. I even really liked karate champ. I think after 15 min I decided life was too short. 

40 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I stumbled on and bought this cart a few years. Was ready to give it a real shot. Cool cover and there arent any bad fighting games for nes really. I even really liked karate champ. I think after 15 min I decided life was too short. 

Sounds about like everyone so far.

6uox08.jpg

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Oh yeah, Tetris next week. I can't wait. That might draw in some more players as well.

This might be the first week where we don't get any scores. I still can't even beat the first fighter for a participation score. I'll probably play some Tetris next week, but I'm excited for Double Dragon II since I was actually a bit rusty when I played it a few weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

This might be the first week where we don't get any scores. I still can't even beat the first fighter for a participation score. I'll probably play some Tetris next week, but I'm excited for Double Dragon II since I was actually a bit rusty Yewhen I played it a few weeks ago.

Yeah. Anyone who can endure this shitpile for long enough to post a score could get first place.