IGNORED

New Turbografx Clone by Hyperkin

Ankos

Recently Hyperkin announced they are making a clone of the Turbografx-16 system called the Retron GX. I've never used a Hyperkin product, but because PCE/TG16 clones are pretty few and far between, I figured this might interest some users here. Me personally, I don't mind using clone systems to play games, though I have my doubts that one of these would be much cheaper than an actual PC Engine. https://japan.postsen.com/technology/28301/[TGS2022]PC-engine-compatible-Retron-GX-unveiled-The-sales-schedule-is-undecided-but-it-is-under-development-–-Hanjohanjojp.html

I have to admit I'm interested, kind of wish I wasn't because Hyperkin usually is like a brown clock, right just twice.  And they have a low bar to maintain. 😛  But that said, if it's not some emulated crap fest that'll CRC block flash kits (would be the death of it given the toxic pricing on real cards) and is a FPGA or otherwise actual core I'd consider it greatly.  Not that I don't like what NEC made, when it's patched up, but it's seemingly up in the air if the Analogue Pocket PCE adapter is happening and when(if?) it does, and their Duo has slipped into being a ghost for now too.

Based on Hyperkin's typical pricing on these sorts of things, as well as current prices on real PC Engines in recent years, I'd say Hyperkin's solution would probably be cheaper considering how many extra bells and whistles most people typically need/demand in order to get a PCE unit up and running outside of Japan.  If it's anything like what they did with the Retron77, where you could put a (admittedly limited) number of ROMs on an SD card and play them from there, I'd say their initial sales are well clinched, especially if it performs well.

I'm not super familiar with it, but I think that 2600 device was like the Retron5 largely where it's carts or roms, if you hack it and stuff them on a sd card.  Not sure I'd be on board with that, it would depend if their emulator sucked.  I don't intend to pay those laughable prices on PCE cards or worse TG ever again so real media wouldn't be a stopper like those annoying CRC checks the R5 did.

Honestly, the Retron77 was very playable to my kids and I.  I didn't notice any sort of lag with the games that I played, although emulating a 2600 is much simpler than nearly any other system ever produced, so that's not a huge shock.  Using the memory card for ROMs natively was also nice, although it was annoying that they had artificially limited the number of games it would detect/play at one time to 10.  That being said, it's still better than shelling out around $100 for a 2600 flash cart when you can just get the Retron77 for roughly 2/3 that with the same sort of functionality, plus built in 720p/1080p HDMI output.

Edited by darkchylde28

Maybe because there aren't really any that use actual games but very few.  If you're just going to be some flash kit style half baked ROM running emulator box then that's fine.  These are really meant for those using the media or the slot wouldn't be there.  Analogue flaked out on the Duo and seemingly the PCE adapter for Pocket.  There's little else but original.

14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe because there aren't really any that use actual games but very few.  If you're just going to be some flash kit style half baked ROM running emulator box then that's fine.  These are really meant for those using the media or the slot wouldn't be there.  Analogue flaked out on the Duo and seemingly the PCE adapter for Pocket.  There's little else but original.

Analogue didn't "flake" out. They are both coming, just delayed.

The Pocket will also get a free TG-16 core, ported from MisTer.

Edited by ifightdragons

I guess things changed again.  Some months ago I was reading online the pce adapter and I think lynx too were quietly dropped but still show on the store.  I personally hope that isn't the case.

And mister, I avoid that like the pi, zero interest in ever supporting that stuff, so I really haven't kept up if someone pulled one of that things cores over to the pocket though I did see a SNES core got added probably from that.  I'm curious why some cores don't get added to the Super Nt/Mega Sg in that case.

You should probably look more into stuff before making assumptions. All the adapters are coming, btw.

Why you would lump FPGA projects like MisTer/Analogue into the same bracket as a Raspberry Pi is beyond me.

It's probably because the MisTer doesn't play carts? I get that is a dealbreaker for some. Couldn't care less myself, as loading ROMs is nothing different from using an EverDrive. But I get it, collecting and playing actual carts is fun, and I can enjoy that as well. Nothing beats popping in the gold Zelda cart... Except, the Legend of Zelda Redux improvement hack. That actually beats it. ROMs aren't so bad after all.

Anyhow, FPGA is the future of keeping retro gaming alive, and as true-to-original as possible. Even flashcarts like EverDrives run off of FPGA. Software emulation has also come a long way, but will never truly be a 1:1 experience. If playing carts is important to you as an authentic experience, understanding the difference between FPGA and software emulation is a great way to further your knowledge.

Authenticity won't always be available. But it can be replicated as good as possible via FPGA. At least when it comes to video, audio, gameplay and input lag. And at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

I don't, I just have no interest or respect in Pi and have no interest in mister either, seems like a waste for me personally at least.  And yes not using real carts is an end game for me on anything that has some considerable (100+) cost behind it, seems utterly stupid when I could just emulate well enough on my computer anyway and cast that to a TV with my HDMI cable I have if I wanted to go that direction to a larger view area.

I do consider loading roms vs actual ownership a huge thing for me.  One I have no motivation more than minimal use, the other I am invested (trade or purchase) and since I have tangible value in it, it comes first, because I invest money so I will invest time on a game.  Otherwise it's like an ADHD mess, no focus, hard to care, too much to bother, no time to do it...it's overkill.

FPGA is quite the future, I have 2 FPGA devices and enjoy them.  And then the FPGA carts, guessing around 6 without looking, great to try stuff out, good for pet projects, homebrew, hacks.  I'm not cutting myself off if that's what you thought.

22 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

All the adapters are coming, btw.

Would you care to provide some links showing where this is the case?  I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but when the vast majority of folks talking about these adapters can't find any evidence that they're continuing, have a release schedule, etc., it's tough not to take them seriously when you're basically the only person I've seen steadfastly swearing that they're coming.  Having faith is great, but having evidence is much, much better, especially if you're wanting to provide a persuasive argument (or have others treat your confident statements as fact).  No offense intended, as again, I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's tough seeing your interjections about this again and again without anything beyond your word for folks to stand on.

I felt the same but didn't want to get into an argument.  Why I said what I did was that some dedicated to the cause level fans had been monitoring every bit from their online comments on various outlets that don't share across, people who know suppliers they used, etc had noted the PCE and Lynx ones had a point had dropped from having a release while the store listed them as still coming.  I hadn't seen any note that changed, but what they said still didn't have like some stolen files, snapped images of files, etc to prove it either if I recall.  All this is heresay, but if reliable people had said stuff went up in vapor and spread that info, and Analogue by choice or choice of doing a 'no comment' but not saying no comment is their choice it's hard to say what is canned or not at this point.  I mean they even refuse so much to even update Group B or C of any drop of info on any updates, production issues, anything a more responsible company would do after accepting hundreds of dollars or more from each buyer.