IGNORED

Game Debate #120: Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

10/10

One of my favorite games of all time, and possibly my favorite game for the GameCube.

I like the first Paper Mario just a bit more, mainly because I like the music and environments more in that game. But TTYD is a great sequel, and I can understand why many say it is the best game in the series. I've played it a lot since 2004, and still like playing it on occasion.

Unfortunately, the series started to go downhill somewhat with Super Paper Mario (though i still like that game as well and took the time to beat it earlier this year).

image.jpeg.5f921a6566fd9a4fa586b7f040a68a3d.jpeg

image.jpeg.c2671995ee758808a77b9f1f358a6058.jpeg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Excellent game.

Did a playthrough a few years ago where I beat it after choosing Badge Points every single level-up, was fun. Didn't mess around with minigames enough before the final dungeon to get a (the?) third HP Plus Badge so I only had 20 HP for the final boss. Made it through though.

Complaints about the backtracking are legit though!

Edited by MagusSmurf

I debated between an 8 or 9 on your scale but ultimately went with an 8 because the description matches my thoughts more.

I think this is a great game but not a killer fucking game when I compare it to Paper Mario 64 and Mario RPG on the SNES. Both those games I’d give either 9 or 10 and would recommend people play those two before playing this one.

TTYD is a great game though, I felt it dragged a little at times and there is a lot of back tracking and sometimes I felt the characters said so much without ever saying anything. It’s like the writer was paid per word or something. 

But overall a game with a solid story and mechanics. Everyone should play through it at least once if they enjoy RPGs.

8 because it's a solitary shining beacon of light in an otherwise broken shoal of dreams and half baked ideas (and halfassery) before it and ever since.  Much like Super Mario RPG that started this largely dumpster fire of a hah franchise, it's just so well executed and designed it makes you wonder where it all went wrong.  After the awful faux RPG setup that Paper Mario did this was such a huge leap and correction of a myriad of mistakes, one I wasn't aware of until over a decade after the fact as I didn't bother caring until I found it.

The game has quite the well crafted story, feels like chapters of a book and masterfully done.  The cartoon/flat art style kind of feels like a mix of the Paper Mario formula from the crappy stilted rhythm heaven style 64 game but with more depth and fluidity to it like Wind Waker had in ways and others like that.  The RPG mechanics in this one actually did work, uniquely slipping back closer to the tolerant SNES Mario RPG style where it was encouraged but not required for survival to have masterful timing and personal rhythm to get deep into it which was great.  While the series on the whole isn't very good, lesser than M&L on the whole, this one stand out closer to Mario RPG than the rest and deserves credit for that.

12 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Haven't played this one. Played the first one and really did not like it much, but people really seem to like TTYD, so I'll probably give it a shot one day.

If you didn't like the first, you won't like TTYD.
I prefer the first game quite a lot (the dungeon/area design is much more interesting, and you barely have any backtracking, but there's a bunch of other little things as well), though others like TTYD better. But pretty much everything TTYD does is an iteration on Paper Mario 64, so if that game does nothing for you, TTYD won't either. 😕

I do recommend giving the original game another try though if you're up for it. It took me literally four attempts throughout multiple decades before I finally pulled all the way through.

• Thanks 1

Btw, anyone who's even remotely a fan of the style of the first two Paper Mario games shouldn't sleep on Bug Fables!

It's better than both of those two games, and even though you might think I've been harsh on TTYD, it's still not something I say lightly. It's just a really, really good game, that manages to do a lot of interesting tactical twists on a similar battle system, that just fit so well that you wish the Paper Mario games had done the same, and the overworld exploration is nothing short of delightful.
There's a more thorough review somewhere in my 2022 Backlog posts if you're curious, but I'd wager looking up any opinion online would present you with nothing but praise.

bug-fables-xbox-one.jpeg

5ec3dedc7e696c59933a0975

Edited by Sumez

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Btw, anyone who's even remotely a fan of the style of the first two Paper Mario games shouldn't sleep on Bug Fables!

It's better than both of those two games, and even though you might think I've been harsh on TTYD, it's still not something I say lightly. It's just a really, really good game, that manages to do a lot of interesting tactical twists on a similar battle system, that just fit so well that you wish the Paper Mario games had done the same, and the overworld exploration is nothing short of delightful.
There's a more thorough review somewhere in my 2022 Backlog posts if you're curious, but I'd wager looking up any opinion online would present you with nothing but praise.

bug-fables-xbox-one.jpeg

5ec3dedc7e696c59933a0975

I've heard nothing but excellent things about this game. I really should play it.

• Agree 1