IGNORED

Variant guide for modern Nintendo games (Gamecube and newer)

inasuma

This is copied over from my website, with a few difference but is 99% the same. I think it's important for collectors to know about this stuff so I'm amplifying it here. 🙂 It's nothing earth-shattering but it will help if you're looking to start collecting for a specific Nintendo console from GameCube, onward. If anything is unclear or I can add additional info, let me know. I recognize I'm just one person and want to make this as complete (within reason to my own capacity) as possible.

---

With the release of GameCube and DS, Nintendo made identifying game prints much easier. While they still use(d) major revision differences in "player's choice," they also began using new data points in the form of part codes. These are typically positioned very close to the game's primary UPC on the back of a case/box.

Thankfully, these codes have persisted even to the most recent generation of games, so you can use this method of analysis to figure out nearly any 1st (and many 2nd and 3rd party) Nintendo game.

Game Data Breakdown

Let's start with Hyrule Warriors on the Switch as a reference:

upc-info.jpg.def7e5c925c84a72a8fa433c73dd8333.jpg

Let's explain these details a bit:

• Part code: Also called a part code. This is a unique identifier for the specific iteration of a game. For first and second party Nintendo games, this is a numerical value (five to six digits) describing the specific print (e.g., retail, limited edition, etc), followed by a single letter suffix, indicating the production revision. The revision suffix will always be in order, starting at A (initial print), then to B, and so on.
  • Satellite code: A simple five-digit code denoting the region of production (third digit) and iteration of the game, starting at 0 (last digit). You'll often see the revision suffix in the part code correlate to this value, although it generally isn't as important.
  • Model Part # (MPN): Similar to the partcode, this is a custom code used to track the game on the open market. What's useful for our purposes is that it also denotes the intended region of distribution, e.g., USA (USA specific), USZ (USA and Canada/Mexico), or CAN (Canada), to name a few.
  • Region of manufacture: The physical location the game was manufactured in. For many games, that's Japan. This should match the middle digit of the satellite code (0 is USA, 1 is Japan), although there are can be exceptions (aka errors).

Examples

First, let's take a look at the anatomy of a UPC label on modern Nintendo games. In this example, we'll look at Pokemon UltraMoon for Nintendo 3DS.

Pokemon UltraMoon manufacturing and product info, highlighting the satellite and print codes.

Although you can't see the rest of the game, this is a standard retail version (non-NFR aka non-bundle edition). Based on the info we already talked about, the B on the part code denotes this as a revision, so the second printing of the retail copy. The 1 on the satellite code confirms that as well, in addition to its country of manufacture (Japan) and distribution (USA).

Here are additional examples on various Nintendo consoles. It's always the same combination of data, but laid out slightly different.

Nintendo GameCube

lslYQ2L.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, retail first print, made and distributed in USA.

Something interesting of note on GameCube is that part codes didn't start until shortly after GameCube's launch. That's why you'll see release titles, such as Super Smash Bros. Melee, have only the satellite code.

Nintendo DS

Nintendo DS print details aligned completely to the right of the UPC

Pokemon White 2 Version, retail first print, made in Japan, distributed in USA.

Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo 3DS print details aligned completely to the right of the UPC

Pokemon UltraMoon, retail first print, made in Japan, distributed in USA.

Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii print details with print code on the left of the UPC, and satellite code on the right.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword for Nintendo Wii, retail first print, made in USA, distributed in USA and Canada (English, French, and Spanish packaging).

Nintendo Wii U

Nintendo Wii U print details just above the UPC.

Super Smash Bros for Wii U, retail first print, made in USA, distributed in USA and Canada (English, French, and Spanish packaging).

Switch

Nintendo Switch print details above and to the right of the UPC.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate for Switch, retail first print, Made in Japan, distributed in Canada (see CAN MPN suffix). Notice that the part code here ends with 2A, whereas on the USA print, it ends with 1A.

Gotchas

Although you might find a game that is the initial release, be careful: not all "first" prints are equal.

An example gotcha here is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It had a standalone retail release in addition to a bundled NFR version, on March 3rd, 2017. The latter of which was actually re-used in the Explorer's Edition, which released on November 23rd, 2017.

Another scenario to be careful about is when there are multiple printings of a game across countries. A good example here is Super Smash Bros Melee, where available print dates on redump indicate Japan had been manufacturing the game roughly one week ahead of the USA (11/2/2001 and 11/8/2001, respectively). The caveats here being: this data is limited to the dumps available, and Japan and USA pressings of the game overlap starting when the USA factories began operating.

The takeaway here: always compare variants with the data available. Complete in box listings are great resources for this.

Errors, Inconsistencies, and Bundles

Like all things, there have been and will be exceptions/mistakes where...

• A game is produced with the wrong info but the error was noticed too late in the production process, resulting in "error" copies. This can affect not just packaging details but the manufacturing data too (see examples below).
  • The "first print" never actually hits the open market because of a production issue, resulting in the "second" print being the true "first" print.
  • Third parties don't always respect the print code patterns on their first party game counterparts
  • "Mismatching" part codes on a limited edition outer box compared to the pack-in game; they do not always match!

Let's look at some examples.

Third-Party UPC

Shows third-party published game missing satellite code and revision suffix on print code

On Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days for DS, third party publisher Square Enix omitted the revision suffix in the part code and entirely omitted the satellite code.

"Missing" Part Code

Shows Metroid Prime: Hunters second print; first print never left the factory, likely due to an error.

On Metroid Prime: Hunters for DS, Nintendo never printed a version of the game with the part code 57096A, which means 57096B is the "first" print. As far as I have found, the "A" code doesn't exist. Again, likely an error during production that was caught quickly and thrown out.

Incorrect Codes

Bayonetta 2 on Wii U has mismatching satellite code versus country of manufacture

On Bayonetta 2 for Wii U (2nd party developed), there is a 00000 satellite code accompanied by "Made in USA." I asked ModernDB, and apparently the publisher made this error on multiple games.

Bundles

Boxed Wii U game bundle has locale text and print code, but no satellite code

On Super Smash Bros for Wii U (the controller bundle version) there is no satellite code, however the game on the inside will have a satellite code, with part code 83665A. Since it's a bundle it'll also say "Not For Resale," of course.

The above pattern isn't a fast and hard rule for all bundles, though.

For instance, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (Pokewalker bundle) have all the critical info on the outer box, but the game inside simply says "Not For Resale" and no UPCs or part  codes to be seen, just an MPN.

Ultimately, like all things in the world of data and commerce, your mileage may vary. To make matters more complicated, this information is likely to change in the future as inventory/product indexing methods advance.

---

Again I hope this is helpful. I don't really know of any singular source for this type of info so it took a while to figure out the patterns through conversations on Discord and even here on VGS. 🙂

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1