IGNORED

a3quit4s new game room progress - VERSION 1 COMPLETED AND UPDATE 2/2/23

a3quit4s

Ok so we moved into our new house at the end of July. After calling around and having some contractors come over and take a look, I choose one and agreed to move ahead on the project. It was supposed to start around this week but got pushed back 2 weeks due to some changes on the current renovation he has. I thought I’d throw some before pics up and keep track of the progress. My basement is enormous so I’m just gonna do half of it for now. Wall off the game room which will create about 40’ X 13’ rectangle of a room. I’ll have a ductless mini split with two indoor units to heat/cool the space. In the alcove with the window I’ll have arcade games and my new to me pinball machine. 

94CC5D45-58B4-46C3-B7A7-D9590AF197DF.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 2

Pic from the window. That’s the side of the basement that will be finished. I’ll hide the door to the finished side with one of those door bookcase things and when you come down to the basement it’ll all look unfinished. To get to the hidden door you kind of come down the stairs go to the left and go to the left again. I’ll likely have three TVs down here, one on each wall and then just a ton of shelves for all the Nintendo tapes 

B5FB5A63-9BE1-40ED-B307-490F3383871F.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

Great setup. I, too, love sitting and looking at my hot water heater

So there is actually a purpose to that! I planned on having the main setup on the other side where the foundation is but my friend suggested switching it around so for the main TV I could get to all the wires from the unfinished side. I was setting the chair up to get an idea of how it would feel opposite lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to a3quit4s new game room progress - Construction started 9/27/22

Day one of construction complete. Guys are moving right along; framing done, electrical and lighting started. Waiting for my uncle to come and see where he wants to run lines for the mini split system. Happy with progress so far. Decided to go with a hidden bookshelf door which I ordered. Since the side you come down the stairs on is unfinished I thought it’d be a neat touch. I decided all the lights will be on one switch except the alcove which has two lights. Those will be on there own switch in case it ends up being to bright to enjoy pinball. Probably just do a dull white on the walls since they will mostly be covered up and maybe a darker laminate vinyl on the floor so it doesn’t look like a mental institution lol  

E1B46FAF-A9D8-46C1-AAA1-D46143A10EAA.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

No coating or drain system. The framing isn’t right up against the foundation it’s like 1”-1.5” away from it. Since we have lived here I haven’t seen any moisture in the basement except for one corner but I fixed that by moving some stuff that was in front of a downspout. My mini split system will have humidify control for the summer so hopefully it won’t become an issue 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Per most building codes, any wood that is attached to concrete needs to be treated and the baseplates seen in the earlier photos are clearly treated lumber.  Typically, the vertical studs shouldn't touch any of the concrete and that appears to be the case here.  

I thought about that but you can use a sillplate moisture barrier too here in CA instead of pressure treat. Hopefully they put that foam down there. 

• Like 1

Day 4 was basically just mudding and getting the walls and ceiling ready for paint. Had to go to Home Depot to pick out floors. Lifeproof luxury vinyl planks is the way to go. I ran a network cable down from the garage using an existing hole to network up the connections the guys ran for me under where the TVs will be. I’m undecided if I’ll move my current gen stuff down there because I’d need to get another OLED TV. The project lead told me they are aiming to be done by Wednesday. One of the guys that I play volleyball with comes over early on Thursdays to chill for a bit  before the games so he said he’d help me move the pinball machine. Just gotta rent an appliance dolly. I’ll probably start moving stuff in and arranging on thurs and take the weekend. Excited! Feels like forever since I packed up the game room in Maryland. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Moving quick. Getting everything set up is gonna be satisfying. 

I had to use some furniture marker to cover up some spots that got banged up during the move on shelving and was totally stoked to be doing it because I’m close to the end lol

I dated plastic totes of when I was packing them and I think the earliest was 11/2021 when I packed up the N64 set and destroyed shitty shelves!

Edited by a3quit4s

Day 5+6 progress - lots of mudding and sanding the walls and the first coat of paint is up. Needed self leveler for the floors in some spots. I think they are supposed to be done either tomorrow or Thursday. Another coat of paint, floor, trim, and the one door is all that’s left I believe. They broke one of the windows in the basement but the manager guy took care of it same day which was good. Excited but stressed about moving this pinball machine, I realized the basement door opening is like 30” and this pinball on the shortest side is 29” so it’s gonna be a fun time I’m sure. Renting an appliance dolly from Home Depot and will use it to move the tubs of stuff as well. 

1783EF4F-A408-4E99-9847-6697C9223DEE.jpeg

Edited by a3quit4s