IGNORED

Pokemon rant

LeatherRebel5150

Well, if there's one positive, it's that the game is getting pretty good reviews from critics, all things considered. It currently sits at an 81 Metascore, which is comparable to pretty much every other critic score of the mainline games in the series. The highest Metacritic score for any Pokemon game has been an 88. Most get low 80s.

I preordered both versions and took time off to play them this weekend. After the cuts and today's more concrete examples of the criticisms, I'm probably getting one instead of both. I enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu, XD, and even the PokePark games, which certainly do not have the depth of the mainline games. Maybe if I go into this one with that mindset, i can really enjoy it more than I'm expecting to.

However, going in with that mindset is a significant lowering of expectations from what I'd hope for in a mainline game. Similarly, I'm not upset by everything in the infographic, but the bad draw distance, texture loading problems, bugs, removed moves, scaling issues, lack of post game (again? Didn't they learn anything from X/Y and S/M releases?), small map, and short playtime are the ones that stick out to me.

Maybe some of the issues I'm most worried about just affect review copies. Maybe Nintendo releases a huge day-one patch. It wouldn't be the first time that kind of thing has happened. We'll see Friday, I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Sometimes the entitlement of “gamers” makes me be ashamed to be one. 

I always say I like playing games but don’t like gamers. There’s a difference.

I’ve had some time to think about things and I really feel like the the divide between Pokemon fans is really a divide in overall philosophies. Rather than be upset about what isn’t there, I’d rather enjoy the good things that are there. I feel like most gamers today prefer to do the former which is why I don’t hang around many modern-focused gaming forums anymore. When I was a kid, we recognized the faults in games but if they were a good game we were still able to consider them a good game and I guess that transferred over to me as an adult. As far as public opinion in gaming today goes, if a game isn’t a 10/10 it’s a 0/10 because outrage gets clicks.

I don’t know. I wish I could worry about them cutting Pokémon enough to rage all day on Reddit and Twitter about it, but I’ve got other things in my life that take a higher priority or that stress me out enough as is.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 3