IGNORED

Pokemon rant

LeatherRebel5150

10 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

How is this part not completely game-breaking?

It is completely game breaking, aside from the usual "your level 97 Charizard might not listen to you a couple of times during the battle because you don't have enough badges" thing.

Edited by Philosoraptor

4 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

It is completely game breaking, aside from the usual "your level 97 Charizard might not listen to you a couple of times during the battle because you don't have enough badges" thing.

So why do people want to have a game-breaking "feature" like that?

Seems kind of silly to me.

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

How is this part not completely game-breaking?

It's worth noting that you can't transfer over older Pokemon at launch. The past few games didn't add the ability to transfer them until months after launch. I'm pretty sure you also have to beat the game before you can transfer older ones.

It's not really game breaking honestly. The game is already super easy and there's nothing from stopping you from trading level 100 Pokemon from the second version of each game or a friend's game too. The reason ppl want to bring older teams is so they can use them online or in the post game battles where things like the battle tower will scale levels anyway

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

So why do people want to have a game-breaking "feature" like that?

Seems kind of silly to me.

Ah! You got to me before I could get my edit up. Most people use Pokemon Bank to transfer Pokemon for fun runs (like a type-specific run), for bringing their competitive Pokemon into the new games, for extra storage when their boxes get full, for living dexes, or to fill out Pokedexes with Pokemon you couldn't get in the current-gen games.

2 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

I was enjoying the fact that VGS has been a safe haven from this nontroversy and all the long winded regurgitated posts about it but no longer. 

It must be so hard to avoid this one single thread where people are having a respectful conversation about changes to one of the biggest video games franchises.

3 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Nintendo needs to put pokemon on the back burner for a while.

Honestly, this is a good take. Since 2008, they've released a mainline series game every year but two (2011 and 2015). From 1998 - 2008, they only released seven games. Since 2008, they've released HeartGold/SoulSilver, OR/AS, and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. From 1998 - 2008, the only remake they released was Fire Red/Leaf Green. X and Y were rushed, as were Sun & Moon.

Taking a year off from mainline releases could certainly help the remake fatigue and give the devs some time to come up with more great ideas. I'm excited for Sword and Shield, but I think not getting a game in 2020 may be a good thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Nintendo needs to put pokemon on the back burner for a while.

1 hour ago, Philosoraptor said:

Honestly, this is a good take. Since 2008, they've released a mainline series game every year but two (2011 and 2015). From 1998 - 2008, they only released seven games. Since 2008, they've released HeartGold/SoulSilver, OR/AS, and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. From 1998 - 2008, the only remake they released was Fire Red/Leaf Green. X and Y were rushed, as were Sun & Moon.

Taking a year off from mainline releases could certainly help the remake fatigue and give the devs some time to come up with more great ideas. I'm excited for Sword and Shield, but I think not getting a game in 2020 may be a good thing. 

This seems pretty reasonable. But unfortunately the way they crank out the cards and shows and such around the game they may not slow down until they really tank the whole thing

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

This seems pretty reasonable. But unfortunately the way they crank out the cards and shows and such around the game they may not slow down until they really tank the whole thing

Do you think they could? Seeing as the cards and games combined account for about 30% of their revenue and and the merchandise alone accounts for over 65% of their revenue, is Pokemon more like Star Wars in the sense that it's too big to fail?

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

The solution to all of this is to ditch the Pokemans and hop on the Shin Megami Tensei bandwagon

I'd love to when they make a good game.

11 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Do you think they could? Seeing as the cards and games combined account for about 30% of their revenue and and the merchandise alone accounts for over 65% of their revenue, is Pokemon more like Star Wars in the sense that it's too big to fail?

Pokemon is the largest media franchise by a pretty healthy margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

It is 50% larger than Star Wars.  (just the licensed merch is the size of the entire Star Wars franchise all-in)

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

Pokemon is the largest media franchise by a pretty healthy margin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

It is 50% larger than Star Wars.  (just the licensed merch is the size of the entire Star Wars franchise all-in)

It is, but I'd also put $65 billion in total revenue in the "too big to fail" camp. I used Star Wars as an example because I don't think most people on this site have as strong of opinions about Hello Kitty, Winnie the Pooh, or Mickey Mouse & Friends.

^^^ Man... no offense, but whoever put that together is really whiny.

The gripe about "said it was for long-time Pokemon fans but is still targeted at Age 12"... I mean, it's Pokemon -- nobody should expect it to be anything but kid-friendly and kid-focused.

Sometimes you grow out of a media franchise being completely age appropriate, until you have your own kids to share it with later.

7 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

^^^ Man... no offense, but whoever put that together is really whiny.

The gripe about "said it was for long-time Pokemon fans but is still targeted at Age 12"... I mean, it's Pokemon -- nobody should expect it to be anything but kid-friendly and kid-focused.

Sometimes you grow out of a media franchise being completely age appropriate, until you have your own kids to share it with later.

None taken, it's not mine. That's the reaction now that people have gotten review copies and more information has come out about exactly how the games play. The Pokemon fanbase, especially on Twitter, is why #thankyougamefreak became a thing. The negativity was actually starting to affect morale at Game Freak.

Just now, MrWunderful said:

Sometimes the entitlement of “gamers” makes me be ashamed to be one. 

@MrWunderful Honestly, it's been hard being a Pokemon fan in since #Dexit started gaining traction. I've had to unsubscribe to r/Pokemon and unfollow most Pokemon-related Twitter content because of this stuff. Some of their points are valid, but most of them are overreactions. I really feel for the devs.

• Like 2

While that infographic has a lot of whinier points, there's a lot of legitimate criticisms on it, many of which I agree with. In fact, I agree with them so much I'm not getting this game. A $50B franchise should not be this unpolished and lazy. I'm voting with my wallet. It's disappointing too, 'cause I love Pokémon. It just doesn't look worth the $60 to me, especially after Sun/Moon, which I hated (and it cost $20 less).

• Like 1

I'm not going around on social media blasting the game and I still have mine preordered and am looking forward to playing this weekend, but I kind of feel like people are excusing a lot of the issues the games will apparently have just because some people are childish with their criticisms of the game. Like yeah the people going around acting like their life will never be the same are overreacting, and the people personally harassing the devs are pathetic, but that doesn't mean the game doesn't have a lot of issues that warrant discussion and negative feedback.

That infographic has a lot of nitpicky/dumb things, but the big issues for me from what I've seen:
1. Exp share always being on is the biggest drawback for me personally. I always turn it off in my first playthrough of the games so I'm not ridiculously overleveled and it adds a little bit of challenge/grinding to it. It makes no sense why they wouldn't let this be a toggle when it has been in every single game before. I don't have a problem with them adding an easy mode, but don't force it onto people. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe got flack for having automatic steering on by default, but imagine if you couldn't even turn it off.
2. No National Dex, unable to bring older Pokemon over and go for challenge runs with certain/favorite Pokemon.
3. Cutting out moves like Pursuit makes no sense. I get why there would be moves cut since some are exclusive to certain Pokemon that might not be in it, and some are pretty useless, but pursuit? Really?
4. Not allowing you to catch Pokemon until you get badges makes a linear game even more linear and just seems excessively limiting.
5. The constant cutscenes and interruptions were one of my biggest problems with Sun/Moon, so I'm sad to hear they are still here.
6. Long time issue, but if they're gonna make all these other cuts they should at least cut out the two version thing by now. Especially when the total number of Pokemon is less than half of the last games' and they release TWO follow up versions now (UltraSun/Ultra Moon) instead of doing one (Yellow, Emerald) each gen.

I don't care about graphics at all honestly and it doesn't factor into my enjoyment of a game, but I think having the graphics and animation be Wii-era quality kind of rubs salt in the wounds when they cut out so much already so I get why people are mad about that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZBomber said:

I don't care about graphics at all honestly and it doesn't factor into my enjoyment of a game, but I think having the graphics and animation be Wii-era quality kind of rubs salt in the wounds when they cut out so much already so I get why people are mad about that.

I saw someone complain, "Since when were Pokémon fans since graphics whores?!" and I was like, "Really?" Let me break down this argument:

GameFreak themselves said the major reason they're not bringing back the National Dex is because of the monumental effort to properly animate them for a AAA Switch title. My first thought to this is... okay, delay the game or outsource the animation. But fine, they chose not to do that, sure, eventually adding 1,000+ Pokémon every iteration isn't feasible. I understand that entirely.

But then why are the animations shown so piss poor? They are models and animations ripped directly from the 3DS games. So that entire excuse was a lie. That's what I have a problem with. Pokémon fans are not "graphics whores", we are judging the game by the bar GameFreak themselves set in their reasoning behind not having every Pokémon. Pokémon Stadium and Coliseum had much cleaner, more lively animations and they were well over a decade ago.

Spoilers, but look at how awful this is. This isn't a DS or 3DS handheld game anymore. It's a console game that costs $60, $20 more than previous offerings, and it's like they're doing less. No GTS? Cut moves? ~66% of Pokémon cut? And you're charging more?

There's countless cut corners and performance issues. It's abysmal. 

EDIT: I am with you though. I haven't been saying much on social media. The discourse is already a dumpster fire. This is the first time I've posted online about it, actually, other than my IRL friends Discord chat.

Edited by Nightowljrm
  • Like 1