IGNORED

Hardest game you've beaten?

Nintegageo

Editorials Team · Posted

Lots of rando lesser Super Nintendo games that are excruciatingly hard.  Battle Cars, Space Football, stuff like that.

And some of the commonly referred to hard games like Battletoads and Ghosts n Goblins.

But the one game that may take the cake is Call of Duty World at War on Veteran.  I don't know what they were thinking with that shit...

• Like 3

Nothing super impressive. Various NES action games that are kind of hard but certainly not Battletoads and I have never quite managed NES Ghosts 'n Goblins. Did manage Arcade Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Rayman 1 if it still counts if you used the lives code a lot (but good luck being patient enough to beat that game without it). NES Wario's Woods if you don't mind that I made ridiculously extensive use in the last 10 levels of pausing not blocking the play area to think about and decide what to do next.

• Like 1

I'm not sure. Hell runs in Spelunky are kinda hard I guess. I don't think I have a history of playing super difficult games, because most games I play allow saving, so even if something is hard I just try again until I succeed. I remember trying Super Mario Bros the Lost Levels a long time ago, but I used save states to beat it, and did not enjoy it much. I also beat the unlicensed GBC game Magic Lamp by Gowin, which I think is hard but for dumb stuff, like enemies being bullet sponges

Edited by Ankos
change play to playing

Maybe Snake Rattle n Roll?  It was a game that I played back in the day and could never get the hang of the controls.  I bought it years later and made a serious attempt to beat it, but couldn't.  It wasn't until another few years later I gave it another shot and finally beat it.  I wound up beating it again a few months later just to prove to myself that the first time wasn't just a fluke.

Maybe it's not the hardest game I've beaten, but the history I had with it made it feel like quite the accomplishment.

• Like 1

Probably the two craziest games I finished would be Ecco the Dolphin and Quarth (The Game Boy Version)

Ecco the Dolphin was an unforgettable journey the first time I played through it, and it's one that I revisit frequently. It's a devilishly hard game, but there is absolutely nothing else like it, including its sequels which are all inferior to the original. (Also the Sega CD version sucks)

Ecco the Dolphin is a sombre, lonely, and at times terrifying experience, but also beautiful, mysterious, and wondrous. I played it for the first time in 2016 when I was 26 years old, and I would consider it the most incredible first playthrough of any game I've ever played.

For the record, I didn't use the password for the final battle that you only get AFTER beating the final battle. Every time I lost the fight, it was back to Welcome to the Machine for me. If you don't know, respect, and fear that level title, you haven't truly lived yet.

Ecco the Dolphin is a game I eventually got super good at, and I once had a playthrough where I only died a single time. That may not sound impressive, but even skilled players of the game can seldom pull off a deathless playthrough. I have yet to do it, but one death is my record.

Quarth I don't have much to say about other than it was a nightmare that required perfection at lightning fast speeds, and the final two levels took me most of my play time.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Hard to say because so many nes titles I had to kill myself to beat have become second nature. The harder it was to get there, the more I want to run through it again for satisfaction.

The NES star wars games are up there for sure. Empire strikes back is the harder of the two and it was a bitch to learn. So much fun to go back and beat once I knew how though and I have several times. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Either Recca, which is super intense in spots, but doable, or Zanac, which isn't quite as insane, but is a marathon.

9 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

The NES star wars games are up there for sure.

Oh, god, the freakin' Death Star maze level in the first one. The meteor storm is no picnic, either.

• Like 2

I don't enjoy infuriatingly hard (but fair, not hard because of bad design) games like I used to, but back in the day I had a pretty decent kill list.  I think probably Ghosts n Goblins or Super GnG top that list, though I think a few others I own or did own would give it competition too.

The arcade version of Super Dodgeball is fairly pure evil.  The game has no discernible pattern as far as how the enemy AI will work not just by the stage, but by the game even, nothing plays predictably twice the following quarter.  It's actually a good and bad thing, but the bad is mostly due to a quarter sucking design choice.  Each further match you get, if you take out one of the existing 4 out on their side, they cheat and bring in +1 more but they do not make any change to the 3min play time clock.  You can't win unless they all fall, not whoever had the most standing at the whistle.  By the time you go through Japan, England, Iceland, China, S. Africa, and then the USA it gets ridiculous as you're up to 8 to clear (twice the people.)

The rub?  Only large guys can throw and key word here, catch, strong shots, and I say large because the enemy large look like frankensteins, but in Iceland they add these large doughboys who get winded walking but they can throw a medium power shot and catch powered shots too.  Anything small, one power shot is death.  You effectively have to win the game using your team captain alone, the rest are fodder.  I've finished it, once, it's just nasty, but still amazing.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Either Recca, which is super intense in spots, but doable, or Zanac, which isn't quite as insane, but is a marathon.

Oh, god, the freakin' Death Star maze level in the first one. The meteor storm is no picnic, either.

Man, I would love to beat recca, but I think Id have a better shot at climbing mt everest as an out of shape smoker pushing 40. 

I beat star wars 1 first and it was pre youtube playthroughs, or me knowing about them at least. I had a massive gamefaqs guide that took you through it screen by screen. And there were parts that were so hard to execute. A couple jumps in the last platforming section before the last two flying levels are pretty rough. 

But empire was harder to learn. The dragonfly jump on dagobah is a stupidly hard feat. Lots of dagobah jumps were that way. I dont know how anyone beat that game without seeing or reading how someone else did it. There is just so many instant death scenarios if you dont know exactly what to do and thats rarely obvious 

Edited by NESfiend

NES Bucky O'Hare: there is a secret hard mode that you can only access by putting in the password HARD! with the exclamation point.  What this does is ignore your life meter so that everything is one-hit-kills for poor Bucky.  Now, the whole run-through isn't all that difficult really, but there is this one stage where you're on a floating ice platform that gets smaller and smaller while dozens and dozens of enemies try to kill you from every direction imaginable.  Beating that particular level on HARD! is by far the most difficult and frustrating video game related challenge I've ever pulled off...

• Like 4

Either Rainbow Islands (arcade) or Tetris the Grandmaster 2 (arcade). Hard to compare two games so different in style, but both took me well over a year of playing them to get a genuine clear.

Compare Ninja Gaiden (1cc) which took two days of practice, or arcade Ghouls n Ghosts (2-all 1cc) about a week.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brickman said:

This is probably the most impressive thing posted so far. Absolute respect for doing that. Aren’t there only like 100 GMs for this game in the world?

Oh, I was talking beating the game, not getting GM 😄
I can get an S9 rank (which is one grade below M, which only differs from GM by surviving the invisible credits roll), but I don't think I'll ever be a GM. 😮  Breaking M requires some pretty crazy speed consistency that I don't think my old foggy ass can keep up with.

Edited by Sumez

6 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Oh, I was talking beating the game, not getting GM 😄
I can get an S9 rank (which is one grade below M, which only differs from GM by surviving the invisible credits roll), but I don't think I'll ever be a GM. 😮  Breaking M requires some pretty crazy speed consistency that I don't think my old foggy ass can keep up with.

Haha still, damn impressive. Nice work.

• Love 1

Nothing too impressive for me to list, at least they didn’t feel too difficult to me but some thought they were.

Dark Souls

bloodborne 

Celeste

Darkest Dungeon (this one was a little hard actually, damn mosquitoes killing all my good characters!)

I would really like to beat Ghosts & Goblins and Battletoads one day. I can make it to the ice level then it all falls apart for me haha.