IGNORED

"Double kickstarter" for successors to Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts franchises

MagusSmurf

24 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I will look forward to both games, but anything on Kickstarter is a no from me. Early investment with zero chance of profit and very real likelihood of loss? No thank you.

I understand (and I can't speak for this project) but this isn't always the case.  Some people are established creators and they won't launch campaigns untiled they've designed and setup 100% of all the work for the final product.  They use Kickstarter as more of a pre-order setup.  That's better than them starting their own business with Venmo/Paypal because if they can't get the set cash amount they need to make items at-quantity, Kickstarter bails the project and refunds the backers. 

This is better for someone like yourself because anyone could create a nice looking site, list a few products for pre-order, send some demo units to influencers and generate a lot of buzz.  The fact that they have a nice web page gives a façade of legitimacy, but if they take your money, still have an estimated 25% of the work to do on the product and that last 25% could drain the funds and cause the item to never to enter final production.

TL;DR: In some ways, the risk is better for you to use Kickstarter but YMMV depending on the creator.  I wouldn't write off the whole system just because some people have taken risks and failed.

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I will look forward to both games, but anything on Kickstarter is a no from me. Early investment with zero chance of profit and very real likelihood of loss? No thank you.

I'm not gonna try to convince everyone to use Kickstarter - sometimes it doesn't work out and I won't deny it.  But I will say, I've backed a bunch of kickstarters and every single one of them has delivered, with the exception of a recent one that is still pending.

As for profit vs loss, I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  I enjoy beta testing and being part of the development process, so a few of the games I've backed, I've done some beta testing for and enjoyed that experience and contributing in that way.  I've also enjoyed contributing to some of the smaller kickstarters, where I felt it was truly needed / helpful for them in order to finish their project, like some of our very own members' homebrew kickstarters / etc.  

Some of them, like this perhaps, are a bit larger and some people are skeptical of the need for kickstarter as a means of funding, and that's ok and their prerogative of course.

Kickstarter isn't for everyone, and sometimes projects do fail, but I personally have really enjoyed the projects I've backed and it has overall been a pretty rewarding experience.  I encourage anyone interested to:

1. Review the kickstarter / project lead and form an assessment (to the best you can anyway) of how risky you think it is.  Some of them have previous successful campaigns.

2. Form realistic expectations - there are often project delays and issues arise.  Keep that in mind.

3. Realize that yes, there is the ultimate chance, that the project could be fully funded, and then eventually not deliver in a reasonable timeframe or even at all.  There is definitely some amount of risk.

Finally - if you'd rather just wait and see if a product actually comes out - and buy later - that's ok too!  If someone doesn't want to pre-fund or take the risk, by all means!

• 5 weeks later...