IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Wario's Woods!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another mind blowing round of our VGS NES Weekly Contest!

This week, our brave players will have to outwit Wario at WARIO'S WOODS!

The rules are simple:

• Pick Time race mode
  • Play normal 2 rounds and normal 3 rounds
  • If you cannot beat normal 3 rounds, your normal 3 rounds time will be 60 minutes
  • Completion + lowest total time wins
  • Participation: Beat normal 2 rounds
  • Genre: Puzzle

The contest ends Sunday, 09/04/22 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Wario's Woods!

I'm looking forward to learning how to play this game from scratch.

SCORE EDIT #1 - Don't really know any tricks yet, but here's my best so far: 7:48

SCORE EDIT #2 - Well this is about as good as I'm gonna do without a great deal of practice: 3:15

WW-4.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, Krunch said:

Fun fact about this game, I opened a case-fresh sealed one to check if the cart's end label was lifted.  Lo and behold - it was. 😭 @oops had the same result with his, maybe we should have kept it a mystery

Yup, by that point even Nintendo themselves started cheaping out on manufacturing of NES games.

Okay, this game is actually pretty decent, but it bugs me that it doesn't blank the screen when you pause like most other puzzle games (or is that just on Time Race mode?).  You can pretty much just wait and see what your next drop is and then pause to consider what you'll do with it for the whole game.  Granted, the game probably gets pretty hectic later on, but I still wish they had blanked the screen on pause.  But that notwithstanding, I'd give it a thumbs up...

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You do know that you have to play both 2R and 3R on normal and then combine your times, right?

EDIT - or did you add the extra hour because you can't yet beat 3R?

That is what he did. If one can't beat 3R, one must add 60 minutes to one's time.

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I couldn't even figure out what I was doing at first. I kinda got an idea, but I couldn't even clear the Normal 2 rounds before giving up. At least I probably made @mbd39 feel better. Puzzle games just aren't my thing.

This is a good one to have a glance through the ops part of the manual.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I couldn't even figure out what I was doing at first. I kinda got an idea, but I couldn't even clear the Normal 2 rounds before giving up. At least I probably made @mbd39 feel better. Puzzle games just aren't my thing.

It didn't help that I hated the game and thought that it felt awkward to play. Everybody else seems to love it though.